PDA

View Full Version : Why does my car take so long to accelerate?

lucky_87LX
04-23-2004, 04:26 PM
i have an 87 lx, 5speed, what is going on? :mad: :dunno:

A20A1
04-23-2004, 04:40 PM
Open up your air box, that usually helps cause you're elliminating the plenum over the carb. Anyways, you might also want to check your fuel filters... make sure your car isn't running too hot and check the carb to see if the venturies are loose. http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=8972

johndej
04-23-2004, 07:43 PM
cause its a 17year old economy car w/ a carbed engine. oh well, other then that all you can do is a tune up and get some mods.

speedpenguin
04-25-2004, 09:57 AM
if it's going slower than normal, check to make sure your revs are matching your road speed. if the engine is running higher than normal for the speed you're going at, it's time for a new clutch.

HondaBoy
04-25-2004, 04:16 PM
dont know exactly what your problem could be. since i've replaced both fuel filters, had the timing set correctly, new spark plugs and wires, and other general maintenance since i got the car a few years back, its got more pick up than orignally when i got it. i noticed that since i put in new spark plugs about 3 weeks ago, even with a full tank of gas it will accelerate without being too slugish as before. mine is automatic and will still do 0-60 mph in about 9 or 9.5 seconds. oh, and these cars werent made to perform extremely great in rapid acceleration. but they arent bad i guess.

TWOLOUDNPROUD
04-25-2004, 06:19 PM
Maybe your car is a piece of Just playing made you look :rofl: it might be your Cat is on it way out that wiil slow your car down take a look at that :rice: Baby

Morpheus
05-01-2004, 10:48 AM
What did you drive before?

momo8517
05-01-2004, 05:45 PM
Sounds like you need a NOS sticker on that thing. Or maybe a wing. That'll make it faster for sure. :rice:

But on the bright side, you have a 5-speed. You have one less problem than the same car with an automatic.

Vinny
05-01-2004, 05:49 PM
i have an 87 lx, 5speed,
I think you answered your own question. Accords have never been knows as the Italian equivalent to a Ferrari when it comes to acceleration

speedpenguin
05-02-2004, 09:56 AM
Lucky 87
you need to be clear about whether you're just wondering why the car is slow or if it's been accelerating slower than it has before
because people are taking the question both ways

Michael C.
05-05-2004, 08:37 AM
I just have the same problem since I installed a header in mine. First gear is fine, second gear must pass over 3500 RPM and then you feel the kick on the power. The engine light came on and I checked the computer code (1 red blink) which means oxygen sensor is faulty. I am going to change both oxygen sensors and at the same time I'm going to install a command flo fuel pressure regulator and a fuel pressure gauge to see if these helps. Short cold air intake has been installed, too. Does anyone has any other suggestions? I will keep you posted. '89 EXI

TWOLOUDNPROUD
05-05-2004, 08:50 AM
I just have the same problem since I installed a header in mine. First gear is fine, second gear must pass over 3500 RPM and then you feel the kick on the power. The engine light came on and I checked the computer code (1 red blink) which means oxygen sensor is faulty. I am going to change both oxygen sensors and at the same time I'm going to install a command flo fuel pressure regulator and a fuel pressure gauge to see if these helps. Short cold air intake has been installed, too. Does anyone has any other suggestions? I will keep you posted. '89 EXI
Your O2 sensor are backwards the header is backwards from the stock exhaust on the O2 sensors just switch the wires around and your car will run right

Michael C.
05-11-2004, 12:26 PM
Your O2 sensor are backwards the header is backwards from the stock exhaust on the O2 sensors just switch the wires around and your car will run right

Thank you, I never thought about that. I little bit too late, I replace both of the Oxygen sensors and installed a new adjustable fuel pressure regulator and now it's time to kick some ........sss

88ebrake
05-11-2004, 12:30 PM
goulge it hahahahahahahahahahahaha