PDA

View Full Version : Time For A Tranny Flush?

MIK3
04-24-2004, 11:19 AM
Alright here's my ordeal. As I'm driving, not hard either, I'll be approaching 3rd gear. This is in my A/T. And as I'm just about to approach shift rpm (+- 2750rpm), the tranny jolts up to almost 4000rpm while keeping at a constant speed. Then after it's hit that, it decides to shift to 3rd. This only happens between the shift to 2nd and 3rd gear. Do I need a flush, or is the tranny already going at 91,000 miles?

k-roy
04-24-2004, 12:38 PM
Its always a good time for a flush of ATF. It may be going out more so because of age rather than mileage.

Neuspeed87lx
04-24-2004, 04:56 PM
take the dipstick out and check what the fluid looks like .... it should be red

MIK3
04-24-2004, 10:49 PM
Yeah. That dipstick is suck a bitch to get to. I don't know how the hell I'm going to change it on my own, I think I just might have to take it int oa shop and have them flush and refill...

Morpheus
04-25-2004, 06:11 PM
I think you would only notice a slight loss in performance if it was bad fluid, that sounds pretty shitty,

MIK3
04-25-2004, 06:42 PM
Yeah. But I'm not looking for a performance gain in this case, I just want the car to be shifting at the proper RPM's and not climb, and take an abnormal amount of time to shift, ya know?

Florin
04-29-2004, 01:17 PM
mine did the same thing and i couldn't find anything wrong with it untill i checked the shifter cable. it wasn't adjusted properly and it sort of kept the tranny between gears . check that too. it's worth a shot. :sad2:

Vinny
04-29-2004, 05:35 PM
Flushing a tranny with high mileage is BAD. Alot of the time the only thing holding the clutches together are the metal particles in the fluid. Flush the fluid, loose the metal and no more friction on the clutches. Shortly after tranny goes bye bye. Ever wonder why alot of places make you sign waivers to flush tranny's on hi-mileage cars? Well now ya know

Michael Cote
05-02-2004, 06:00 PM
Auto 3geez Accords will do that occasionaly on right hand turns and climbing slightly at the speeds and RPM that you discribed.

89D16a6
05-03-2004, 10:41 PM
should have done it at 70 thou at the most man but now i would be weery..but if you still wanan get it changed you can for like 20-30 bucks at super lube but its easy to do on these cars man... :sad2:

fuzzy audio
05-04-2004, 12:31 AM
You know, I can't say on 3geez, but shifting in and out of second gear on the 4geez has been a problem. still, probably time to flush.

pixiesfan78
06-06-2004, 09:15 PM
my car has been like that for three years.i sometimes wonder if its just that the clutch is not smooth or doesnt engage smoothly so to speak.but the tranny remains strong to this day i wouldnt worry about it unless you get slipping then its time for a new tranny.as far as fluid ive changed mine twice in two years trying to help it smooth out it did nothing for me.another thought i had is maybe the clutch in some of our cars was replaced with an off brand one. i know my tranny was rebuilt before i bought the car. so your not alone with this annoying problem i almost want a manual tranny just to get rid of the downshift problem but nah not yet im to lazy to drive a manual daily so i hope to aquire another 3gee with manual.

Bigmaxxin
06-06-2004, 09:30 PM
thats how the death of my tranny started, cept mine was at about 200k.