PDA

View Full Version : master cylinder repair?

rdn
04-25-2004, 06:48 AM
Hi guys,

the break fluid level seem to slowly decrease. i quite sure it's the master cylinder (no brake fluid spots anywere). do you know if our master cylinders can be repaired (as on the most of the cars..)...or are they sealed (like on prelude 84 ABS)? (no ABS on mine though)

this is my 3:rd honda and i had the same problem on all of them!.....easy fix though if the master cylinder can be taken apart

cheers!

cruznz
04-25-2004, 10:24 PM
You can re-kit them,but if the bore is badly pitted then you're wasting your time as you cant hone the ali bore like you can with the steel ones

k-roy
04-26-2004, 03:49 AM
To answer your question yes, you can rebuild them. The only place I can reccomend for parts is an actual Honda dealership.
A rebuilt master cylinder from an auto parts shop is pretty cheap here in the US, so it should not be too expensive wherever you are.

SteveDX89
04-26-2004, 05:07 AM
Beck/Arnley makes a rebuild kit that includes all the seals and a new piston.

rdn
04-26-2004, 07:43 AM
ok...thank's guys...i was afraid those cylinders couldn't be re-built

kroy, the problem here (swe) is that they charge 150$ for it (honda, probably twice the price)...that i find expensive

kruddler
04-27-2004, 07:58 PM
I got one at the j/y for $7. It is an easy fix. The only problem I had was with the wife getting crabby helping me bleed the brakes.

DBMaster
04-30-2004, 10:30 AM
I bought a new (not rebuilt) one at a local parts place that was not part of a big chain. It looked to be of good quality and it came complete, including the reservoir and cap (most rebuilts require you to reuse your existing reservoir). It was $65 and has a lifetime warranty. I guess at 300,000 miles if this one leaks like the first two did I get my next one free.