PDA

View Full Version : Bose System cuts in and out on 89 SEi

ag bullet
04-25-2004, 08:33 AM
Hey there, I just picked up an 89 SEi coupe and the stereo is stock with the exception of a Pioneer 12 changer in the trunk. The audio on the stereo is acting kind of weird and it is a problem I was told about when I bought the car. Basically, the audio cuts in and out. While doing so, it gets really "scratchy" and the volume is varying. I was told they thought it was a loose speaker wire, but I suspect otherwise. The only thing I have not tried when it happens is playing a tape. Since the changer uses an FM station and it happens with the radio on too, I think it could be a loose antenna wire/connection or maybe something with the Bose amp. Thoughts?

accordlxi2.0
04-25-2004, 03:03 PM
try using a tape first then if it still happen's try to clean the volume knob, and check the wiring connection's.
i had the same problem with my bose . . .

ag bullet
04-25-2004, 04:38 PM
I played the radio this afternoon hoping it would cut in and out as usual. It didn't act up. I checked all the connections I could as far as the antenna wires, etc and they looked fine. When I disconected one to check it, I got the same staticy noise, so maybe it was a little loose. Guess I will find out soon enough!

Hash_man_Se_i
04-25-2004, 06:11 PM
Could be a speaker shorting out... or a fray in a wire, I had that happen in my se-i, and it was just a pinched wire or soemthing lol, but the guys thought it was a shorting out speaker at first.

ag bullet
04-25-2004, 06:17 PM
Could be a speaker shorting out... or a fray in a wire, I had that happen in my se-i, and it was just a pinched wire or soemthing lol, but the guys thought it was a shorting out speaker at first.

This might help me. Was it more prevalent when it was cooler or did it matter? What wire and where, was it pinched?

accordlxi2.0
04-26-2004, 12:56 PM
plus another sign to me was the display everytime i touched the volume the display would dim, and everyonce in a while it would dim when it hit a bass note.

ag bullet
04-26-2004, 01:17 PM
Ok if this helps, it does the same thing with a tape in. So I am guessing either a bad deck or a bad amp. Thoughts?

accordlxi2.0
04-26-2004, 01:52 PM
damn . . .well i say the deck, oh and when my amp went out it just went out well it still work's, but not as good as it used to.

ag bullet
04-26-2004, 04:34 PM
I am gonna try and pull the deck tomorrow to look at the back. From everything I can see in the trunk, the connections are all solid. I am wondering if the factory harness is being strained somewhere and the connections are going bad. Any other suggestions?

HostileJava
04-26-2004, 05:06 PM
Sounds like there is a short in the deck, I say replace that system one part at a time as you get the money.