PDA

View Full Version : Battery Light On, But Different Then Most. ( New Alt, New Battery )

LyFeWoRx
04-25-2004, 03:05 PM
Okie guys, I do not post on this board that much, because I really don't have a problem with the car at all. But the damn altinator went out on it, so we had it replaced, and we replaced the battery at the same time. You would think that the dang battery light would go off... But its still on. Is there anything else I can do? Should I take it to schuckz again and have them test it? They do it for free? What else would cause the battery light to go on? It just happen over night pretty much.

We drove the car for about 2 yeras with no problem, then all of a suddon the battery light came on, no warning like low power, slow windows, dimming lights, the light came on after driving it for about 20 miles, the car died, no charge. The altinator was dead, charged the battery drove the car home. Took it to sears, had the altinator replaced with a new one, and a new battery. BUT THE LIGHT IS STILL ON!

I really want the light off, cause that means something is still not right.

Plese help,

Thanks

Michael!

accordlxi2.0
04-25-2004, 03:16 PM
check the connection's on the alternator, they may have not connect the 1-wire on the top post of the alt.

LyFeWoRx
04-25-2004, 04:27 PM
can you see it from the top? is there a pic of the wire?

accordlxi2.0
04-25-2004, 07:12 PM
yea it should be easily seen from the top.

LyFeWoRx
04-25-2004, 07:16 PM
its a bottem install, its not on the top of the motor like the fuel injected, I looked and couldn't see any wires. I have no clue whre it would even hook to. If i could see a picture of one installed, that would be awesome.

LyFeWoRx
04-25-2004, 07:21 PM
do you have AIM? If so lets talk, i can send some pictures of what it looks like and so on. Maybe you can help me figure out if everything is going good.

LyFeWoRx
04-25-2004, 07:23 PM
i got a chiltons so i should be cool now to do alot of this on my own. It has alot of info on it. Its in PDF format so its easy to search. If someoen is intrested in geting it, i have it in a 50mb zip.

accordlxi2.0
04-26-2004, 06:12 AM
what year is your car, plus what do you mean bottom installed oh wait, it was installed from the bottom, i took mine's out from the top and i don't have efi . . . anymore . . i'm intrested in the chilton's . . .

1988starter
04-26-2004, 09:01 AM
check your engine grounds make sure the are fully connected

dosh8er
04-26-2004, 12:03 PM
I have to second the alternator terminal idea. That is the same problem I had with mine, and I went through the same process of ellimination. Check the connector that is in the shape of a doughnut that goes on the alt. terminal with the two nuts and washer deal. Chances are the wire going to that connector is corroded. It's an easy fix, cut the end off, and go out and find a new loop connector for 75 cents at your favorite hardware store. Crimp and you're done. Corrosion on any wire in the battery/ charge system could have some affect as well.

Vinny
04-26-2004, 12:07 PM
Check your belt tension as well

DanLXI88
04-26-2004, 01:00 PM
I wouldn't mess with it since it's most likely still under some kind of warranty. Take it back tell it's messed up they should take care of it.

LyFeWoRx
04-26-2004, 01:28 PM
I think thats what im going to do. I blew the damn battery fuse yesterday, so I couldn't drive it there today, gotta go find one. its huge. 70a heh. I need to disconnect things before i start poking around heh. I'm starting to wonder if its the white wire on top, i can see the nut but barrely, and there is a black cover over it, so im think its hooked up. But if they did my alt and battery thats all it could be making that light go off correct? I'm kinda pissed its still on.

Michael

LyFeWoRx
04-26-2004, 01:29 PM
The tension in the belt is nice and tight no play at all, also i had it tested at shucks and it was charging fine, no problem there. Atleast thats what the guy said, also the battery tested fine. Whats the best way to check to see if the wires are plugged in? Ican barrelly get my hand to it from the top yet see down there.

accordlxi2.0
04-26-2004, 01:43 PM
when the enigine is cold and you have it running , does the choke open up?

LyFeWoRx
04-28-2004, 08:38 AM
Im new to this stuff, i have no clue on how to tell, i have always been into DSM's, this is my girlfriends car.

I know when its cold as hell, thecar run really high idle, tell it warms up. So im guessing yes?

RPM: 2600-3000 = high idle

88turboaccord
04-28-2004, 09:22 AM
did you fix the problem with the bat. light. I had that problem once, it turned out to be the ground strap--the one that goes from the valve cover to the chasis..

njpeter
05-01-2004, 07:54 AM
never trust a new alternator, especially one with a warranty

89dxowner
05-02-2004, 10:30 PM
I have that problem right now. I will just be driving and the radio will go off and the battery light comes on like the car died or something. But then it goes off after about 2 seconds and it may do it again or it may not you never know. I still havent found the problem, it only does it occasionally. I am going to check that ground strap tomorrow.

joebeets
05-03-2004, 05:55 PM
There's a special connector that supplies voltage to the light, along with the choke heater and early fuel evaporator. In my case it was missing, so my light stayed on. The Autozone test didn't register it--they said it was fine and were not going to replace it under warranty until I realized the terminal was missing and pointed it out. (So much for their "test".) Anyway there's a harness connector near the battery where you can test for this voltage with the engine running.

Another possibility is the voltage is going to ground before it gets to the light, caused by a short in e.g. the choke heater. I posted on this a while back.