PDA

View Full Version : power steering worries...

speedpenguin
04-26-2004, 02:04 PM
so i know lots of people here take the power steering out of their cars, and since i've driven without power steering for a while in one of my mom's old cars, i really do prefer it, but something i heard got my attention, and i figure i'll resolve this before i go ahead.
it seems that steering racks with power steering are designed so that the power steering fluid acts as a lubricant in the steering rack. and if there is no fluid going through it, the steering rack will eventually bind.
heard this on cartalk, so i know there's got to be something to it, but is it relevant to this procedure?
the specific question was someone was asking if it was ok to drive their car with broken power steering and that's what they said.

Moodybluesr
04-26-2004, 03:49 PM
The solution is to leave the fluid in the rack and cap off the fittings to keep it in there. Unless your rack actually leaks fluid, you should be good to go.

AccordEpicenter
04-26-2004, 04:38 PM
find a manual steering rack from canada (not available in US models) and install that. Take the belt off the power steering and run around like that for a while, i doubt youll like it.

A20A1
04-26-2004, 05:47 PM
no need to cap it just loop and hose so the fluid can circulate... it is gtood though to lubricate the speedometer cable.

speedpenguin
04-27-2004, 09:06 AM
cool thanks.
i didn't know enough about steering systems fo figure that out myself.