PDA

View Full Version : what to look out for....

86LXi|JustONE
04-26-2004, 10:54 PM
as you know from my sig im in search of another car....what types of cars are good to look for....

im thinking about getting another 3g cause i loved mine so much...but then again i hear that datsuns and hatchi rokus are illness as well...kinda wanting to stay in the 86-89 range of cars cause they look awsome to me...but then again i would always take a b16 civic with no complaints....

i want a manly looking car with bang for the buck....any sugesstions?

its going to be my daily driver but will also be a sleeper in the works....

post your opinions please...thanks

MattsAccord
04-26-2004, 11:26 PM
Marioburke in redding is trying to sell his car. You might want to check it out.

MrGlicko
04-26-2004, 11:42 PM
89 240sx
87 rx7

edit: oh, didnt notice price range.

pimp86LX
04-26-2004, 11:48 PM
Get a buick!!!
hehehe seriously though, i drove a 91 regal for about a year and sure it handled like a boat, but it was SOOO comfortable and had nice torque. Reliable as hell too.

my86dx4dr
04-27-2004, 12:21 AM
Get a buick!!!
hehehe seriously though, i drove a 91 regal for about a year and sure it handled like a boat, but it was SOOO comfortable and had nice torque. Reliable as hell too. :thumbdown are you in the wrong thread? :sadwave:

i want a manly looking car with bang for the buck....any sugesstions?
will also be a sleeper in the works....

if mario fixes his car...... and sells it, that would be the best bet!

dont get a buick, i do admit THEY ARE VERY RELIABLE for an american car,
but.............lol
i dont know about you......... but i would rather be seen in a 93 civic with 3 wings and 2 6" exhaust tips over a damn buick, unless you have a family and are in your late 30s :lol: :owned:

88accordhb
04-27-2004, 12:48 AM
get a 510 and drag or auto x the crap out of it. hehe ^^

pimp86LX
04-27-2004, 01:29 AM
:thumbdown are you in the wrong thread? :sadwave:

if mario fixes his car...... and sells it, that would be the best bet!

dont get a buick, i do admit THEY ARE VERY RELIABLE for an american car,
but.............lol
i dont know about you......... but i would rather be seen in a 93 civic with 3 wings and 2 6" exhaust tips over a damn buick, unless you have a family and are in your late 30s :lol: :owned:

I would rather have my testicles removed than drive ANY civic.

pimp86LX
04-27-2004, 01:33 AM
ok i know its not a regal, but its my favorite semi-modern buick

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/11/web/335000-335999/335354_4_full.jpg

and here is an example of the really poor civics i see around all the time

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/9/web/237000-237999/237017_25_full.jpg

deadlight
04-27-2004, 01:52 AM
http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/11/web/335000-335999/335354_4_full.jpg

Now that's what you need. 12 second 1/4s stock. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it. 3.8 liter turbo everything eater.

my86dx4dr
04-27-2004, 02:18 AM
Now that's what you need. 12 second 1/4s stock. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it. 3.8 liter turbo everything eater.
yeah, some people these days :uh: this world is so god damn stupid, we'r lookin at gas prices at 3 bucks a gallon, and every god damn motherfucker wants a bigger engine! :thumbdown :pc:
go for it, but dont you dare make a sappy thread about how you cant go anywhere cuz it cost you 20 bucks a day to drive that damn peice of shit,

but...... while im lookin into a fuel econ vehicle with a 4 cyl, you morons want a v8,

them ford fuckers are thinkin about puttin a v10 in the next mustang!!!!
WTF!

no wonder iraq hates us, :idea: we are greedy motherfuckers! :lock: :mad:

deadlight
04-27-2004, 02:26 AM
Since when is a 3.8 liter a "big" engine? Honda makes 3.2 liter and you consider the .6 liter difference to make it huge? Last time I checked there are much bigger engines than a 3.8 lets see what I can find just in some everyday cars, 4.6, 5.4, 5.7 the list goes on. A 3.8 is by no means a large engine. "That's why Iraq hates us"? What? Another unfounded statement presented as fact from my86dx4dr ladies and gentlemen! I can't see why on earth Iraq would hate us for oil consumption. They're making money off of us aren't they? I'm thinking Iraq hates us for the invasion of their country, not for making them money. My point is, quit going off on domestics if you have no good reason or anything to back up your argument. I know I'm on a Honda board, I'm well aware of it, don't try and point that out to me. Next time you go off on a smiley laced rant about domestics give me a reason on why they suck so bad. Do you think Supras and Skylines aren't gas hogs?

Oyvind Ryeng
04-27-2004, 08:22 AM
Do you think Supras and Skylines aren't gas hogs?
Actually, no. I have an aquaintance in the southern part of Norway, he owns a mk4 Supra TT coupé, manual, it consumes under 7 litres/100 km. Best I've made with my 3G is 5.9 litres/100 km. My other friend has this 1980 Ford Mercury Capri Ghia, 302 (?) V8, automatic. Is demands over 15 litres/100 km.

HostileJava
04-27-2004, 08:27 AM
That's with conservative driving though, when you step on the accelerater watch ur fuel needle drop :D

deadlight
04-27-2004, 08:27 AM
Actually, no. I have an aquaintance in the southern part of Norway, he owns a mk4 Supra TT coupé, manual, it consumes under 7 litres/100 km. Best I've made with my 3G is 5.9 litres/100 km. My other friend has this 1980 Ford Mercury Capri Ghia, 302 (?) V8, automatic. Is demands over 15 litres/100 km.

You could very well be right, but I wouldn't guess any type of boosted 6 cyl. could be considered "fuel-efficient" I'll take your word for it though. Also, what kind of driving conditions are we talking about? I know Mustang GT's can pull about 30mpg on the highway, it's not too hard when you cruise just off idle in 5th going 70.

86LXi|JustONE
04-27-2004, 02:05 PM
werd yeah i see what you guys are saying....fuck a v6 i dont wanna dump whatever money i have left after bills on gas....v10 would be insane...look at the h2 that bitch sucks gas like water...9 miles per gal i believe...anywho

i was checking out some cars today and i came across a 89 lude with rebuilt head for 1300 but with some haggle i got it down to 1000...the thing is that the belts are old and the brakes look like they need repair....do you think its worth it?

also i had the pleasure of talking to a guy that has a 86 Lxi just like the one i owned before but the thing is that he wants 1200 for it...new tires plus since i have a parts car of the exact same thing im thinking that might be the best way to go....cause on the parts car it has a new clutch and i just did a tune up on it....which do you think is worth it more?

im kinda leaning on the second option but the guy might get rid of it today so i wont know until tommarow...

need opinions please....

pimp86LX
04-27-2004, 02:09 PM
Your pretty much sold on some sort of inline 4 but i just thought i'd let you know my 3.8L regal got better milage than my carb'd accord. If it were EFI i believe it would be close. If you are truely concerned about fuel consumption consider getting a VW turbo deseil. They get insane milage, upwards of 1000km on a tank.

werd yeah i see what you guys are saying....fuck a v6 i dont wanna dump whatever money i have left after bills on gas....

deadlight
04-27-2004, 02:31 PM
Yeah, go VW Diesel, that's about the best advice I can give, everybody here keeps slamming larger engines on fuel economy, what you guys aren't thinking that a larger engine can getter better highway mileage at times, it's not hard if you're turning 1500 rpm at 65 mph. Well, everybody here seems to be deadset on fuel economy, so have fun with that. You do an N/A build up; hurt your fuel economy. Boost your car; hurt your fuel economy. Gain 50lbs.; hurt your fuel economy. Gas mileage is not the end of the world, besides, I can't think of any more "efficient" way to suck the fun right out of driving. I don't care if my car's fuel mileage won't match the 3geez, all I know is the last thing on my mind when I'm blowing away 4 bangers is fuel economy. Not trying to offend Honda owners seeing as how I'm on a Honda board, but some of you need to realize that going on about driving fast and superior fuel efficiency don't usually belong together.

Oyvind Ryeng
04-27-2004, 02:55 PM
Also, what kind of driving conditions are we talking about? I know Mustang GT's can pull about 30mpg on the highway, it's not too hard when you cruise just off idle in 5th going 70.
Oh, those were all during highway-driving. It doesen't take all that effort from the engine to just maintain the speed on the flat road.

However, a Supra TT or a Skyline will consume a whole-lot fuel when you put the pedal to the metal. That is simply because they produce alot of power, and to produce power fuel is neccesary.

deadlight
04-27-2004, 03:00 PM
Oh, those were all during highway-driving. It doesen't take all that effort from the engine to just maintain the speed on the flat road.

However, a Supra TT or a Skyline will consume a whole-lot fuel when you put the pedal to the metal. That is simply because they produce alot of power, and to produce power fuel is neccesary.

That's what I'm getting at, the Mustang should pull similar fuel economy to the Skyline or Supra on the highway seeing as how the engines just chugging along at such low RPM's, I think your fuel mileage estimate for the Mustang may be under hard driving.

Morpheus
04-27-2004, 04:31 PM
Crx!

my86dx4dr
04-27-2004, 04:53 PM
Your pretty much sold on some sort of inline 4 but i just thought i'd let you know my 3.8L regal got better milage than my carb'd accord. If it were EFI i believe it would be close. If you are truely concerned about fuel consumption consider getting a VW turbo deseil. They get insane milage, upwards of 1000km on a tank.
if your 2.0 liter carbed motor out of a lightweight accord is sucking more gas then a damn buick you need a motherfuckin tuneup dude! :thumbdown

i dont beleave that for one second! :owned:

my uncle had a 3300 series motor in his 92 olds cutless,

and there is NO way it got more mpg then the accord, they both ran great,
dont have the olds no more cuz it got towed....... the point is,
in a time like this, why get a bigger motor? :dunno:

im sorry, i guess ya'll dont realize your on a HONDA board,
buick this buick that, stick to a 3g keep it simple........stupid :cool:

and if you dont beleave a 3.8l engine is big, then your on crack :rolleyes:
a supra is just as bad as a fucking buick when it comes to gas, :lol: :uh:

Oyvind Ryeng
04-27-2004, 05:20 PM
That's what I'm getting at, the Mustang should pull similar fuel economy to the Skyline or Supra on the highway seeing as how the engines just chugging along at such low RPM's, I think your fuel mileage estimate for the Mustang may be under hard driving.
Actually, it was a Mercury Capri Ghia, Similar to this one. (http://transport.kalugacity.ru/foto/M3f795602193a5_m.jpg) It runs like a pile of shit, with leaking carb etc. etc., so that could explain some of the problems with the high fuel consumption.

deadlight
04-27-2004, 05:57 PM
if your 2.0 liter carbed motor out of a lightweight accord is sucking more gas then a damn buick you need a motherfuckin tuneup dude! :thumbdown Why's that? Never heard of low end torque? If you got it you can run low rpm's and still move.

the point is,
in a time like this, why get a bigger motor?:dunno:
Last time I checked our last gas crisis ended, I have no reason to think this won't blow over as well, there's a difference between a "bigger" motor, that can actually help fuel economy in some instances, and in buying a car with a 460.

im sorry, i guess ya'll dont realize your on a HONDA board,
buick this buick that, stick to a 3g keep it simple........stupid :cool:
So you better start bashing on the kid that suggested an RX-7, Honda's are not god's gift to the automotive world anyways. If it's that big of a deal what were you doing posting a thread on help for a crappy pick-up that I clearly recall not being a Honda seeing as how there are no Honda trucks. Take your own advice.

and if you dont beleave a 3.8l engine is big, then your on crack :rolleyes:
a supra is just as bad as a fucking buick when it comes to gas, :lol: :uh:

A 3.8 liter is NOT a big engine. In what way is it a big engine? I would like to hear your reasoning behind this one. If you think a 3.8 is big I want to see how badly you crap your pants when you get out of your Fast and the Furious world and look under the hood of a 440 Cuda. Ever seen pistons the size of a grapefruit? Didn't think so. Honda's are great cars, but if you're going to praise them and put them in a pedestal in the manner which you do, I want some facts behind it. Besides, I can name something that will outlast and outclass any Honda. Two words, Volvo bitches. And please quit posting this, :owned: besides, you just got owned I do believe, I can't remember you owning anybody, and until you do, lay off the smileys, work on the finer points of debate. You can't win an argument with smileys.

my86dx4dr
04-27-2004, 07:25 PM
Why's that? Never heard of low end torque? If you got it you can run low rpm's and still move.
:thumbdown
wow you are one of a kind
:uh:
im not just a honda fanatic, i am a domestic hater,
for damn good reason, :flipa: fuel econemy/boat like ride/sound-look like shit
:rolleyes:
what is with people on this board that tell people to get american POS's

dear god, i fuckin quit, :pc:

ps, :mad: i like the smilies, :idea: cry me a fuckin river :lock: :eatarrow: :banned:

deadlight
04-28-2004, 05:32 AM
:thumbdown
wow you are one of a kind
:uh:
im not just a honda fanatic, i am a domestic hater,
for damn good reason, :flipa: fuel econemy/boat like ride/sound-look like shit
:rolleyes:
what is with people on this board that tell people to get american POS's

dear god, i fuckin quit, :pc:

ps, :mad: i like the smilies, :idea: cry me a fuckin river :lock: :eatarrow: :banned:

Way to argue man, you sure proved me wrong on all fronts. Congrats. I have a domestic that pulls 30mpg on the highway, is popular for auto crosses, (boat like ride my ass), and sounds like a V-6 Honda. Point is, you can hate domestics all you want, what pisses me off is your hate is ignorant, you have no reason for any of your statements. They're uneducated, biased, and have no truth to them at all. I don't categorize all imports as slow, tiny, underpowered, lunch-boxes. I don't hate domestic-haters, I hate ignorance. People are free to suggest any cars they want, you can't go off on a half smiley, half poor english, anti-domestic rant anytime somebody brings them up. Don't even try to tell me imports are superior, last time I checked this site's technical forum had more threads than OT.

pimp86LX
04-28-2004, 06:14 AM
Way to argue man, you sure proved me wrong on all fronts. Congrats. I have a domestic that pulls 30mpg on the highway, is popular for auto crosses, (boat like ride my ass), and sounds like a V-6 Honda. Point is, you can hate domestics all you want, what pisses me off is your hate is ignorant, you have no reason for any of your statements. They're uneducated, biased, and have no truth to them at all. I don't categorize all imports as slow, tiny, underpowered, lunch-boxes. I don't hate domestic-haters, I hate ignorance. People are free to suggest any cars they want, you can't go off on a half smiley, half poor english, anti-domestic rant anytime somebody brings them up. Don't even try to tell me imports are superior, last time I checked this site's technical forum had more threads than OT.

woah woah...lets not bash the 3rd gen now ;-) Although i do agree with you 100%, My 3g served me very well (as did my buick, ford ranger, and saturn) with only minor problems and body rot to bring it down.

deadlight
04-28-2004, 06:16 AM
woah woah...lets not bash the 3rd gen now ;-) Although i do agree with you 100%, My 3g served me very well (as did my buick, ford ranger, and saturn) with only minor problems and body rot to bring it down.

Where did I bash the 3rd gen? :dunno: Sorry if I made it sound that way, keep in mind I owned one, and actually still drive it, it's my sister's now, but I still see it everyday and drive it.

pimp86LX
04-28-2004, 06:17 AM
hehe it just sounded like you did. no worries.

k-roy
04-28-2004, 07:16 AM
My friends 1987 300ZX 3.0 Turbo gets 38 MPG on the freeway. Thats a larger car with a larger engine and it gets just as good as mileage as I do.

3.8 is big. Its larger than the average V6. The average car has a 4 or 6 banger these days. so its slightly bigger than average, the new ones with a centrifical supercharger are pretty amazing for an OHV engine, they can get over 30 MPG highway in a 4,000 pound car. I find that impressive.

Back to the point. Its pretty obvious that whoever started this thread, sorry im too damn lazy to scrool up and see who it is, wants another Honda or similar Jap 4 banger. So stop telling him to get a Buick. Nothing against Buicks, its just not the right car for this situation. That prelude sounds like a decent deal if he is willing to put the nessesary work into it to make it last.

pimp86LX
04-28-2004, 07:41 AM
well thats true. He was probably talking another honda or import product but he did say any suggestions, best bang for the buck etc... Mario's car would be the best bet, a prelude would rock too. This thread kinda snowball'd into an argument but wuddya gunna do.