PDA

View Full Version : dilema with shocks

od2681
04-27-2004, 03:26 PM
hi
sorry for askin a real newb question but i searched and couldnt find the answer
i have 2 inch drop springs and the car rides real crappy....and i need new shocks....im hopin to get the deal with some guy on the board.forgot the name...anyways he is sellin tokicos and i wanted to know would they be sufficinet.. I mean would they wear out as fast as stock oem replacement..someone told me to get monroe sensatrac and save some money
money is a big deal as of now i can only afford tokicos...
can you all tell me my options with around 200 bucks....
if you havea link to another thread that might be nice too
again sorry for posting this question but i was desparate

NXRacer
04-27-2004, 03:58 PM
i thought the tokicos were OEM. . . . .you'll kill any OEM strut with lowering springs no matter how you do it. In order to save your struts, they have to be matched with the lowering springs either by having adjustable ones (ie the discontinued koni's) or revalved ones (available through bilstien but spendy).

86AccordLxi
04-27-2004, 04:09 PM
While tokicos are NOT OEM, they not the stiffest you can get either. Depending on the spring rate, the tokicos may tolerable at best in the front (I had them with H&Rs-the softest lowering spring available--and they still were a little bouncy in the front). For the rear, tokicos should be fine. In any event tokicos will give you much better ride than blown oem and are much cheaper than konis (if you can find them) or revalved bilsteins. I'd say go for it, on the presumption that the tokicos are not perfect for your application, but way better than OEM.

Alex

Busted_Blue
04-27-2004, 08:14 PM
uhh well... Tokico MOST likely wont suffice with that 2inch drop...

but I disagree with 86accordlxi, i would save the money stick with the crappy ride for now...and get bilstiens revalved. Face it, if you get tokicos they will blow too since they are only slightly stiffer than stock, then you are in the same problem again. I think you should save up and do it right so you dont have to DO IT AGAIN AND AGAIN.

my two cents... save up, get bilstien revalved. If you can, just go back stock until you can afford the better shocks. :)

superguillermo
04-27-2004, 08:22 PM
I guess it all depends on what brand of springs you have. Dropzone will not match up with Tokicos, but a different spring might. I just bought a full set of Tokicos to install with some eibach springs. A few members have the same combo and say they ride great.

86AccordLxi
04-27-2004, 08:59 PM
The only reason I said that is because most members aren't actually going to save up the $400-600 to get konis or revalved bilsteins. for me personally, there was no way I was going to drop that much money into struts; there's too many other things I could get with that kind of money. Yes it's a sacrifice for ride and longevity, but my tokicos lasted until I sold the car and are still going great today with the new owners. It's not the best, but for the money, it's at least tolerable.

alex

Busted_Blue
04-27-2004, 11:47 PM
You do have a point there Alex. Alot of us dont exactly have the money to run the PERFECT setup.

I myself have tokico blues with tokico springs and it cost me $315 for all the parts thanks to that overstock sale at tokico for the springs earlier in the year. I figured a manufacturer would not make springs not compatible with their own struts so i went with it. It was cheaper and I think it isnt that bad. I'm glad i went with the 1inch drop as i scrap everywhere in SF now even with just that small of a drop. (how odd).

Which setup did you have Eiabach pros or sport? I believe with pros and tokico the ride probably would not be that bad due to the initial spring rates being rather soft. I still think that tokico blues will not be that great for the ride. Maybe I'm just too picky with it.

-derek

od2681
04-28-2004, 04:08 AM
right now i have suspension techniques on my car....tony(wprocomp) has the same setup but again he has one inch drop

od2681
04-28-2004, 04:35 PM
i think i got my thing down now..
nopi sells blisteins for a 100 bucks each...so ill get the front blistiens and then just get reg gas shox for the back
since back is not that heavy..does anyone find anythin wrong with this ..pls help me out

SteveDX89
04-28-2004, 05:32 PM
Just wait and do all 4 at once. You'll have less headaches of changing out struts. You're springs are stiffer than my Sprints and I had to use Konis in the front and revalved Bilsteins in the back. Don't even bother with anything else. Once you get the Biltsteins on, you'll have no bounce. It also helps out the handling. The amount of weight has nothing to do with anything as far as the strut handling the spring. If the spring is too stiff, the strut will blow.

86AccordLxi
04-28-2004, 05:48 PM
You can't just throw on bilsteins, you have to get them revalved so they're stiffer. And if you're going to go the bilstein route, wait and do all 4 at once like steve said.

Alex

od2681
04-29-2004, 08:35 AM
the reason of me being in a hurry is that my car bounces alot and the tires hit the wheel well( i think thats what its called)..anywhoo...and someone on the board said that the shocks might break
for the time being i should get tokicos...and see how they turn out...
if nothin else they shoud last me arounda year

Busted_Blue
04-29-2004, 09:47 AM
if you really are in a hurry, tokico are a somewhat tolerant quick fix but it doesn't solve the problem. Just be aware you going to spend more money later. :)