PDA

View Full Version : Those of you with rear discs..

89accordlxi
07-15-2002, 11:44 AM
I was just curious to know what you people think of the rear disc conversion(from SE-i). Do you feel much of a difference in stopping compared to the drums?? Is the performance worth the money and trouble to do the conversion? Is doing the conversion difficult? About how long would it take if every thing went without running into problems. I hear connecting the E-brake is kind of tough. I have been thinking of doing this for a while but don't know if it would be worth the trouble. Any feedback or comments would be greatly welcomed!!
Thanks

Peace out..

pimp86LX
07-15-2002, 12:24 PM
your not gunna notice a diff on street conditions..drums work good if set up and maintained just like anything else

where your really gunna notice the rear discs is on the track..and the only real difference is the brake fade is reduced..but again your not gunna experience brake fade on road conditions (less your a maniac like me)

however if you have time and $$ go nuts..they do look pretty cool

SQ is the SQUAD
07-15-2002, 12:43 PM
the only reson i did mine was because i tihkn it looks better. i did one side wile my boy did the other and it took us about 45-50 mins, it was very easy.

Jims 86LXI HB
07-15-2002, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by pimp86LX
your not gunna notice a diff on street conditions..drums work good if set up and maintained just like anything else

where your really gunna notice the rear discs is on the track..and the only real difference is the brake fade is reduced..but again your not gunna experience brake fade on road conditions (less your a maniac like me)

however if you have time and $$ go nuts..they do look pretty cool

So what was honda's logic behind going to the extra expence of installing rear disks? Why did ford put rear disks in place or rear drums on the SVT focus? Manufactuers are WAY to greedy to spend more money for those parts without due cause.

Reducing fade is just one part of the benefits. Rear drums also have drawbacks. The above relates to the necessity to pander to people who have no idea how to properly modulate brake pressure while manuvering. To an experienced driver, disks are better since they can modulate the brakes to keep all four tires unlocked and stop in impressive times - but the average person can't/won't. To make it safer in panic situations, overall braking performance decreases - as a result of having drums in the back.

pimp86LX
07-15-2002, 01:09 PM
if you panic you shouldn't be driving

89lxihb 00lude
07-15-2002, 01:17 PM
Can't remember how long it took me but it was well worth it. Not only in performance but in ease of maintence(disk are way easier). I am about to replace my master cylinder which has gone bad and I think was going bad when I first installed the rears. So I'll let you know if it makes it better. I did get a difference with rears but I also have race pads on drilled rotor and braided lines.

OldSchoolSwap
07-15-2002, 02:11 PM
Worth it in all aspecs.

GDGuy11B
07-15-2002, 07:41 PM
could someone make a how-to?

88turboaccord
07-15-2002, 08:50 PM
I did mine because, well because I wanted to---all right? Geez.
Also the hatch told me to do it in my dreams, just like the turbo stuff. Hehe

Jims 86LXI HB
07-15-2002, 09:09 PM
lol:lol Justin

guaynabo89
07-16-2002, 04:22 AM
Originally posted by 88turboaccord
I did mine because, well because I wanted to---all right? Geez.
Also the hatch told me to do it in my dreams, just like the turbo stuff. Hehe

The hatch told u :lol

I did mine there was a difference in stoppin not much but noticable. X-drilled rotors look really good at the back corners too.:D

89accordlxi
07-16-2002, 06:37 AM
Hey, thanks for all your comments people. I will probably end up doing the conversion but not until I get new rims. I am still running stock lxi rims so you wouldn't be able to see the rear discs anyway..

About the slotted or x drilled rotors.. Are there direct replacement ones out there for our cars or do you need to use ones from different models..

Thanks again

Peace out y'all

MoonScryer
07-16-2002, 06:43 AM
Yes, there are available rotors my name for our card. Check on NOPI for Powerstop and Brembo rotors.

gr3k0sLaV
07-16-2002, 02:27 PM
well Ive never noticed the difference, well since mine had rear discs stock...so neh!

sorry, just like showing off....time for bed