PDA

View Full Version : Help with oxygen sensor upgrade

Timaculent
04-28-2004, 03:23 PM
i just bought a oxygen sensor and I want to to also install a gauge that tells the fuel air mixture. I stopped by auto zone and they have a gauge the has 3 wires black red and purple. I was thinking that the is + the black is - and the purple goes to the oxygen senson output linelike a y connection or something am I right . Please advise asap

bobafett
04-28-2004, 03:37 PM
red goes to +12v switched power source like head unit power (supposed to be on 5amp fuse)
black goes to known good ground
purple goes into the wire from the oxygen sensor AFTER the connector, not before (not sure if this makes a difference or not, but my friend accidentally put my wire BEFORE the connector, and my gauge doesnt work right. i havent changed the location to verify if this is the problem.

they are super easy to install, took us about 30min total.

Timaculent
04-29-2004, 12:28 PM
Which oxygen sensor to wire it to

red goes to +12v switched power source like head unit power (supposed to be on 5amp fuse)
black goes to known good ground
purple goes into the wire from the oxygen sensor AFTER the connector, not before (not sure if this makes a difference or not, but my friend accidentally put my wire BEFORE the connector, and my gauge doesnt work right. i havent changed the location to verify if this is the problem.

they are super easy to install, took us about 30min total.

AccordEpicenter
04-29-2004, 01:12 PM
why didnt you just use the stock o2 sensor? The wideband one (white connector) stock 02 sensor works just fine for a/f gauges.

Mike's89AccordLX
04-29-2004, 01:15 PM
Usually wideband O2 sensors are a bit pricey. He maybe just wanted a heated one for the money savings.

Timaculent
04-29-2004, 07:32 PM

Timaculent
04-29-2004, 07:33 PM
I need to know how to wire a 3 wire guage I need to know where to conect the third wire

bobafett
04-29-2004, 09:27 PM
to the fucking line on the o2 sensor LIKE I ALREADY SAID.

OR YOU COULD GO TO THE AUTOMETER WEBSITE AND LOOK UP HOW TO INSTALL IT....

stock accords come with 1 wire coming out of the o2 sensor, so find that ONE wire, and splice in the purple wire from your gauge.

take the red wire from your gauge, and hook it up to a switched 12volt source, like the one that powers your head unit. and ground the black wire!

since u have a choice of 2 o2 sensors, choose the one that would get a more balanced reading from more cylinders if possible... i dont recall what a stock 88-89 header looks like, but i would choose the o2 sensor that will get readings from all 4 cyl if possible... just a guess, but im pretty sure it wont make a difference