PDA

View Full Version : How can you tell you need a new clutch

lucky_87LX
04-28-2004, 08:55 PM
How can you tell you need a new clutch? :sadwave:

k-roy
04-28-2004, 09:48 PM
If it does not grip, as in it slips while in gear. There also might be a burning smell.
Try adjusting the clutch and making it a little tighter. There is a round plastic knob on the front of the battery, try moving it up or down a little bit and see what that does.

smufguy
04-28-2004, 09:59 PM
likw kroy said, upon acceleration, if ur engine revs but the car does not seem to be goin anywhere, its a cue, ur cluych is on its last days.

pimp_n87LXi
04-28-2004, 10:32 PM
You can also tell the clutch is going bad when you go to put it in gear and the clutch has no full engaged or when the clutch is gripping when the pedal is almost completely released.. But other than those to things kroy nailed it

faceboy
04-29-2004, 05:52 AM
I have always taken a different approach to testing clutches. This method tests the slippage/grip of the disc by first adjusting the linkage for maximum clutch disc excursion as kroy said and dropping the clutch at 2k-2.5k rpm while simulataneously holding the brake down hard enough, as to cause the vehicle to not move while the clutch is dropped. You are looking for 2 things in this test. Those are the position at which the clutch engages, and the time it takes to stall the engine. Now since, this is all relative information so one must have had experience with the car tested. As a mechanic, having changes many clutches on Hondas, I have a comparison base to utilize for this test. The faster the engine stalls, i.e. the time elapsed between clutch/flywheel engagement and engine stall, the better. Hesistation in stalling would indicate a worn clutch that will probably need replacement soon (assuming the adjustment is at its max and/or the self-adjuster, which is not found on the older hondas is working properly). This test is obviously for trannies one is not too sure about. If you drop the clutch and nothing happens, you might have a problem, in that case happy revving.

pimp_n87LXi
04-29-2004, 06:13 AM
If you drop the clutch and nothing happens, you might have a problem, in that case happy revving.
LOL, sorry I found that funny

grsmnky33
04-29-2004, 06:09 PM
when you're car doesn't move anymore!!!! :uh:

johndej
04-29-2004, 07:01 PM
hmm......... my clutch still had alot of grip left on it after i had to replace it due to colapsing one of the 4 springs on it. the spring has mashed and dropped out and was kinda bouncing around at times and that made it harder to lind up shifts and caused a light grinding sound (scraping the flywheel- had to get that resurfaced too). oh well, it happened when my dad mishifted into 3rd pritty hard one time or thats what we think.

SteveDX89
04-30-2004, 02:13 AM
The smell of a burning clutch is quite like no other. Once you start to smell that, you'll know exactly what it is.

diegoaccord
04-30-2004, 03:39 AM
Here is what I do to test a car. Do about 40 MPH in 5th gear, then press the gas to the floor, if the clutch is gone, the car will rev up in gear, otherwise it'll acclerate.

skull1441
05-01-2004, 12:45 PM
ya all that or if u hear loud ass clicking noises

qh187
05-02-2004, 04:28 PM
my clutch was slipping so i adjusted the cable. After that i still had some minor slippage but also when i accelerated i heard a squealing noise for a split second (kinda like tires peeling out). What could be responsible for that noise? Also does that mean my clutch is bad?

skull1441
05-02-2004, 04:34 PM
o ya, i had the before, the squeal is the sound of the throw-out bearing not "bearing" properly and grinding the pressure plate : / .... i kept driving it like that till my pressure plate broke .. i got me some Clutch masters, their great

absolute
05-21-2004, 12:03 AM
my clutch is slipping now in all gears except for 1st and 2nd, tightening the clutch will by me some time or do i just need to quit driving it till i can change it? i have one from a prelude.

86LXi|JustONE
05-21-2004, 12:28 AM
stop driving before your at a light and your car get stuck in the middle of an intersection and you cant roll it anywhere, or your on a highway and theres no more bite left in 5th gear to get you halfway home....for your safety and the safety of others just stop driving man...

nismoracer99
05-21-2004, 01:40 PM
i might need to get a new clutch for my own accord. the tranny is dropped and the flywheel is off. but i was wondering how much "meat" on the clutch can it have before i need a new one??

the guy that had the car before me didn't know how to use the clutch, now the flywheel needs to be rebalanced cause it has hotspots! :sad2:

unc25
05-21-2004, 01:55 PM
well I dont know about clutches that much, but I think there is definetly something wrong with mine....
It engages really really high and I can start the car without pressing in the clutch, and sometimes you can hear a slight squeal as mentioned in a previous response.
Should I get a new clutch or is mine ok and just needs adjusting? It seems to engage just fine, its just really really high (unlike any other car I have even been in) and has the sysmptoms I mentioned earlier.

86LXItooFAST4me
05-21-2004, 02:21 PM
If it does not grip, as in it slips while in gear. There also might be a burning smell.
Try adjusting the clutch and making it a little tighter. There is a round plastic knob on the front of the battery, try moving it up or down a little bit and see what that does.

what if you know your clutch is slipping but only in in between hard shifts. if you tighten it, will it in anyway cause the clutch to burn out faster? its probll a stupid question but hey, i never asked before.

Zer0
05-22-2004, 01:16 PM
my clucth is almost gone and i am getting ready to put in the new one. Now i will do alittle but my dad will do most since he has done this many times. I was just wondering if any had any tips or tutorials of what all we need to take off to get to the clutch i mean like exaust or anything like that. Any info would help.

Zer0
05-22-2004, 02:01 PM
Also i tried to look at the tutorial on the how to board but it wouldnt load for some reason i think the site is down. Does anyone have a copy of that.

Tread
08-25-2011, 08:05 AM
The smell of a burning clutch is quite like no other. Once you start to smell that, you'll know exactly what it is.

^True that! STINKY:barf: lolz