PDA

View Full Version : @#$%& transmission filler bolt!

Moodybluesr
04-30-2004, 04:01 AM
I decided to change the tranny (manual) fluid in the Accord while I was changing the oil this morning and ended up round the hell out of the filler bolt. :thumbdown I had a socket on there with a breaker bar and it just rounded the bolt, so I grabbed my Crescent socket that grabs the side of the bolt and it held much better. At one point I had my foot braced against the sway bar as I pulled on the breaker bar with both hands and the @#$%& thing just rounded off.
There is not any room to get an impact wrench in there and the bolt is thoroughly rounded now... any suggestions on getting the damn thing out?

Oh BTW, the person who put that bolt back in last time can bite my fat hairy white ass. :mad:

Vinny
04-30-2004, 04:09 AM
you wouldn't want an impact on a rounded bolt anyways, whats ot going to grab on to? Go get a bolt out set from sears and you should be all set. Make sure you have a new filler plug before ya take the old one out though. Don't put that beat POS back in. Hell just take it to a garage and tell then you want the fluid changed. Let the dick with it

thegreatdane
04-30-2004, 04:16 AM
Let me guess, it was one of those cheap ass sockets? Those suck ass and will only do one of two things: either brake or destroy the bolt you are trying to remove... Why do they have to sell that kind of shit :mad:

k-roy
04-30-2004, 04:18 AM
I agree with Vinny, those Bolt-Outs have saved my ass countless times.

1988starter
04-30-2004, 05:53 AM
I did the same a medium size monkey wrench around the larger part of the bolt fixed it for me

Moodybluesr
04-30-2004, 01:20 PM
Let me guess, it was one of those cheap ass sockets? Those suck ass and will only do one of two things: either brake or destroy the bolt you are trying to remove... Why do they have to sell that kind of shit :mad:

The first socket was Craftsman... the second socket was, like I mentioned, a special Crescent socket. I am not going to blame them as I was putting at least 200+ ft/lbs of torque on them. Unfortunately, there isn't any room to use a bolt-out without removing the transmission, which I would obviously like to avoid. I tried a pair of Vise-Grips around the outside of the plug and tore the hell out of it, too... I am about to go after this thing with a Dremel, but I wouldn't know exactly where to start. :dunno:

Mike's89AccordLX
04-30-2004, 01:24 PM
Ummm..... take the wheel off and you will have a little more room. I removed mine and flushed my tranny fluid less than a month ago. I believe it was a 17mm socket if I'm not mistaken.

-Mike

If all else fails, use a torch to heat up the area and then put your socket that fits the best on (or cresent thing) and tighten then loosen. Wiggle it back and forth and it might break free. Then heat it up some more and then do the same and then try and take it all the way out but a little at a time.

Moodybluesr
04-30-2004, 01:26 PM
I was under the car so the wheel did not present a problem; if it did i would have removed it. And yes, it was a 17mm bolt... the operative word being was.

AZmike
04-30-2004, 02:09 PM
You can remove the speed sensor if you really need the oil in the tranny now. If you haven't drained it yet take it somewhere with an air chisel. An air chisel at about 45 degrees (half toward the center of the bolt, half in the direction you want it to turn) on the thick fill bolt flange knocked mine loose after I rounded it off using conventional methods.

kruddler
04-30-2004, 06:04 PM
Take all your 12pt sockets and throw them in the trash. Those things are praticaly worthless. I allways use the 6pt for removing most bolts.

1988starter
05-01-2004, 07:29 AM
once again use a pipe wrench

PortugalFocus
05-01-2004, 07:51 AM
take the next side down socket, in this case a 16mm, and hammer it on if you have enough room. Sick a wrench on the end and pry away.

JohnnyFonz
05-01-2004, 11:55 AM

89D16a6
05-02-2004, 10:43 PM
DeAmN 200+ ft/lbs?? maybe you were turning it the wrong way man..lol i hope not. :)

thegreatdane
05-03-2004, 01:46 AM
I will have to agree with Mike. A torch can do wonders with bolts that are stuck. Maybe you can get one of those sockets on that are in inches, there should be one that is a little smaller than the 17mm. I dont use them alot so I cant tell you what inch socket it should be.