PDA

View Full Version : Blinkers stopped working!?!?

superaccord
05-01-2004, 06:10 AM
Ok I just bought a new 3gee because my old was was becoming a huge project just to keep it up and running. So my new one is in mint condition and there are only a few problems with it. Right as i was driving it home when i bought it the blinkers stopped working. The hazards dont work either. I am going to check the fuses but i figured i would see if anyone else had this problem. I did a search and couldnt find anything that helped. So any suggestion on how to fix this would be great...THank you
Matt

shepherd79
05-01-2004, 07:45 AM
check the fuses first.
if they check out alright, check the bulbs all of them.

superaccord
05-01-2004, 02:24 PM
Well the thing is...with the bulb suggestion...they dont even blink inside the car...Like the little green arrows...NOthing.. No tick or anything. so... but i'm checking on the fuses

MrGlicko
05-01-2004, 02:49 PM
i have the same problem, sort of. the blinkers work fine but as soon as i attempt to turn on my hazards, they no longer work. They come back in their own time, sometimes 5 mins sometimes an hour. In my case i think its the internal mechanical switches sticking (old car, switch probably never used) but im gonna poke around with my multimeter. Im not looking forward to taking apart the steering column so ive been putting it off, plus ill prolly be getting an aftermarket wheel soon so i can look at it then.

If you find the solution (if the problem isnt fuses) let me know eh?

Vinny
05-01-2004, 03:26 PM
it'd guess that its either the fuses or the flasher relay. Bulbs SHOULDN'T cause them to not work at all. A single burned bulb in the will cause the signals to blink faster. I doubt that all the bulbs went out at once. The flasher module is on the back side of the fuse box under the dash. Have fun its a bit of a bugger to get to.
Oh and worst case scenario it could be the combo switch. I know when I bought the hatch the left and right signals didn't wqork nor did the hazzards. After checkin all the fuses and replacing the flasher module I ended up needin a combo switch

superaccord
05-01-2004, 04:20 PM
well it turns out that I just had to replace all the wiring on the rear taillight. All it was, was the little red box that all the bulb wires are attached to on the taillight housing. I replaced that and now all the blinkers work...But the hazards dont....I dont really care about those but it would be nice to have everything work you know.

shepherd79
05-01-2004, 06:32 PM
sounds like a turn signal relay.

Mac
05-01-2004, 08:09 PM
It very well could be the combo switch. On the 88 I believe that the turn signals and hazards use the same relay. Not sure if an 89 is the same but it might be. So if the turn signals are working now I would check the combo switch. You can take the combo switch apart and clean all the contacts or get another from a junkyard.

momo8517
05-02-2004, 07:02 AM
Hmmm....I noticed the same problem when I had the dash torn apart on my 4g...no blinkers. The problem turned out to be that the hazard switch wasn't plugged in. I had the dash torn apart putting my reverse glow gauges in, and went to pick up my brother with out thinking to plug in the hazard switch, and this killed the whole blinker setup. WIERD. Check the connector to the hazard switch (if it is a separate connector to the switch on top of the column) The 4g is obviously a separate connection, because the switch is on the dash.
Oh and don't say you don't care about the 4-ways...most states require them for safety inspection.

superaccord
05-02-2004, 09:52 AM
hey thanks guys ill check it out and let you know