PDA

View Full Version : Cat back exhaust performance

momo8517
05-01-2004, 05:40 PM
OK, so my 90 accord has swiss cheese exhaust (many rust holes) starting just after the catalytic converter. I am considering my options for fixing this. One is to have a shop install a OEM system that will just rust out in 2 years. This will cost about 250 bucks, for all the clips and crap and labor. The other is to get something like this: N1 Cat Back Exhaust 90-93 Accord (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2476494260&category=33630) off eBay and put my car up on blocks out in the yard and just do it myself. I will probably opt for the latter.
Anyway, what I was wondering, was if anyone has noted any significant power increase with such a system. This particular page advertises a 15+hp gain. I think this is crap and I want to know if anyone has tried and knows.

Thanks!!!

A20A1
05-01-2004, 06:23 PM
+15 if you had a stock exhaust on a modded Accord, then you open up the exhaust and see the full potential of a header and intake and whatever other mods they put on... but no gaurantee that the +15 will apply to an unmodified accord.

Stainless is always a good investment, but 2.5 may be a little more then you need... but i would still get it. i mean dam I'd have to pay around $180 -$250 just for the Apexi I wanted... and that one is a full cat-back plus muffler.

shepherd79
05-01-2004, 06:25 PM
well, since you have 4G you probably will see some power gain, but not like 15hp. it will be more like 4-5 hp through out the power band.
i would go with the one on ebay.
i wonder if it will fir 3G. it looks like it will.

88accordhb
05-01-2004, 07:36 PM
yah it looks like it could fit, mayb just a lil welding and clampin here and there. you won't notice sooo much power, but definitely sound.

momo8517
05-02-2004, 03:56 AM
Yea, I'm lookin at an intake and header, too, just for performane but that's gonna have to wait until I have money. The exhaust needs done because it fell out on me for the second time last night. I agree that 2.5 is probably overkill, and I'm gonna look like a ricer for a while, but I don't want to have to upgrade again later.

Thanks for the advice, guys!!!

shepherd79
05-02-2004, 04:17 AM
you can always cut that riced out muffler and weld something like Dynomax super turbo muffler.
or you can probably pick up a hole dynomax exhaust.

momo8517
05-02-2004, 06:47 AM
Yea, but I'm a lamer...and a ricer at heart. I don't have the equipment to weld, so I'll see how ricey it sounds with just the whatever-crap muffler comes with it. If it's really bad, I'll find something not-so-funky. Hell, at least it ain't gonna rust...It's probably gonna be like a month anyway cause I don't have a job and my car insurance is like 200 bucks.