PDA

View Full Version : Need amp repair info

POS carb
05-02-2004, 07:07 AM
Damn man my car smokes amps like cigarrettes

I have a sony ES xm 7554 dual mode amp (high-voltage 4-2 ohm) and high current (1.0 - 0.5 ohm) which goes into protection as soon as I turn it on

Also yesterday my Kappa 1000 watt mono sub amp started smoking from the transistors on the edges

I need some info for fixing amps, I am very good with figuring out electronics, IU just have never been properly schooled (what's an FET?)
Help I don't want to keep throwing my $ away, these are good amps.

I also just ordered an Alpine 1000 watt V12 mono amp to replace the Kappa... If I fix the Kappa I'll just sell it or experiment w/ beefing it up (bigger transistors... is this possible?) The Sony is definetly one i want to fix, it sounds so damn good (and so not-sony!!) it even has "direct" signal and "negative feedback on/off" switches

AccordEpicenter
05-02-2004, 08:17 AM
fet= field effect transistor. If i were you id call up each company and tell them what you have and ask if you can order the parts. Some companies have their own numbers for each part so you might only be able to get them from them, unless they can cross reference it for you. They usually find out what you need by whats numbered on the board. I think you might have some kind of a power supply (alt or battery, maybe even too small of a power cable) or ground issue (poor or bad grounds, not big enough), ive never gone thru amps liek that even when i ran them at half the minimum impedance and into clipping at the same time. I say before you install the next amp, check your grounds, upgrade your battery to chassis ground and your engine to chassis ground also... youre using 4 gauge right? You might need a bigger alt if youre running a stock one. Just remember this, poor grounds and power supply probs cause amps to run much hotter than normal and stress them out, and can cause failures like you are experiencing... id seriously give it some thought, im not trying to school you like a noob

shepherd79
05-02-2004, 08:42 AM
the way i see, you need to figure out why you smoke them like that. does you alternator puts out too much voltage? or amps?
did you connect them correctrly? all this can cause them to smoke.
find the problem before you fix it or add another amp.

what kind subs do you have?
what size power and ground gauge wire do you have?

POS carb
05-07-2004, 07:08 AM
the amps act like they are stuck on full throttle
The infinity blows the fuses or smokes the first couple trransistors @ the end of the amp if it doesn't blow the fuse
The sony turns on the "Overcurrent" light in regular mode and blows the fuses in "High current" mode (the mode for low 0.5 ohm impedance)

POS carb
05-07-2004, 07:11 AM
all monster interconnnects, brass ring terminated grounds that are hooked up to the batt's bolts to the chassis
also a 1 farad cap which I will be swapping for the 3 farad one in the garage.
the alt is a rebuild rewired unit
4 ground from the trunk mounted batt to the monster dist. block w/ 8 gauge running out (2 per amp)

The wiring is good trust me... maybe it's my shitty SSony radio

DanLXI88
05-07-2004, 07:32 AM
You could also have a shorted voice coil in one of your speakers. Get a meter and check the OHMS of your speakers and check the current coming back to the amp make sure your not to far above or below 12v Also good luck with getting parts allot of these companies only sell parts to technicians or companies certified to repair their product.

AccordEpicenter
05-07-2004, 09:03 AM
what are your gains set at? Are you using a line driver?

POS carb
05-07-2004, 10:01 AM
fuq this I bought a new amp and a new pair of subs. I need some real bass again anyways these JBLs aren't really the bass I want and also it wouldn't surprise me if there's something wrong w/ their coils they have run on a bunch of amps which have died and they're the only remaining original component to the system... that or there's water getting in or something

I got an alpine amp and a pair of phoenix gold 15s The amp should get here today

DanLXI88
05-07-2004, 10:23 AM
I got an alpine amp and a pair of phoenix gold 15s The amp should get here today

Nice! That should bump pretty good.

POS carb
05-07-2004, 03:01 PM
It should this amp is the same watts and it weighs double what the infinity weighed

<edit>
Well I guess u get when upay for... This amp has a birthsheet... it's rated @ 1000x1 RMS @ 2ohms and this one put out 1116 I can't wait to hear this beast :devil:
<edit>

Bloodlust
05-07-2004, 04:07 PM
In most cases its not even worth repairing amps. Im not sure how much u paid for each of these amps, but in most cases thats the case.

POS carb
05-09-2004, 04:53 PM
hmm maybe all this time it's all this voltage my alternator is putting out now

AccordEpicenter
05-09-2004, 08:18 PM
repairing amps... it depends. I had an RF amp and rf sent me the parts for free... worth fixing... DEFININTLY. Another friend had a Earthquake PHD2 shredder that he ran at 1 ohm (~3kwrms) and it started on fire, soo badly that alot of the ics were damaged and Earthquake was no help... not worth it. Getting the alt rewound shouldnt mess with the voltage it puts out, thats what the regulator is for. Id check it tho, you should have roughly 14.4-14.5v when the car is turning 2k rpms. Also how many amps does the alt put out?

POS carb
05-10-2004, 11:57 AM
howe did u get those parts for free? I have a dead punch amp in the garage!