PDA

View Full Version : Where To Put Sealant On Oil Pan Gasket? help me out

HondaBoy
05-02-2004, 02:27 PM
i need to know where to put the RTV sealant on the new gasket for the oil pan. the book says on the inner corners where it meets the crank thing. so does that mean just around the arch? or should i do it around the whole thing and around the bolts? lets see if y'all know this one. i need to get the answer quick because im about to go back out there.

A20A1
05-02-2004, 02:56 PM
I never put any on... anywhere, and it sealed fine.

now my distributor o-ring is a different story.

shepherd79
05-02-2004, 03:38 PM
never put any sealant on any gaskets.

Vinny
05-02-2004, 03:45 PM
You're going to get a million different answers on this one. Its more a presonal prefference thing. Some people use none, some a little, some alot. All the gaskets and seals are like that. I've changed more than my share of pan gaskets, 5 I think. I've tried it on the corners, none at all, and this last time I ran a thin layer over the pan. I just put it on a smoothed it thin with an angle cut popsicle stick. Old aviation trick I guess

Oh and Mike, I never used anything on my dizzy O ring and it doesn't leak :D

A20A1
05-02-2004, 04:47 PM
lol, I didn't mean it like that... I don't use any on the o-ring either, but I'm just saying it leaks... I need to buy a fatter one... the one I replced it with was one in a rebuild kit and it was very thin.

Vinny
05-02-2004, 05:03 PM
I'll send ya one when I order my next batch of parts later this week or next. Save ya on shippin and all. Beside I order crap semi weekly at this point :D

Vinny
05-02-2004, 05:04 PM
never put any sealant on any gaskets.
Could you elaborate on that Alex?

HondaBoy
05-04-2004, 05:18 PM
well, i did as the book said. only on the arch part around the crank. i looked and thats where some was from the original. i scraped the old stuff off, it was white in color, dont know what they used. some Japanese secret i guess.:lol:

Gregg86DX
05-04-2004, 06:12 PM
A honda mechanic recommended this stuff called HondaBond that you can find at a Honda parts department. That's what I used on my pan gasket and I believe I just put it on the corners that are formed by the crank cut-outs. That's where I have seen these leak, same thing on the valve cover.

Gregg

shepherd79
05-04-2004, 07:02 PM
Could you elaborate on that Alex?
i never use any sealant. i use sealant to hold the gasket in place so it doesn't move.
when i replaced my oil pan gasket on my new car i just droped 6 drops (3 drops on each side) and it holded the gasket in place until i got the bolts and nuts on.
i always buy honda o-rings. they work and fit the best.
never had any leaks.

AccordEpicenter
05-04-2004, 08:12 PM
use a little hondabond around all the little bumps and stuff itll seal very well... you dont need alot. Also use honda pan gaskets, itll save your ass.

pixiesfan78
05-09-2004, 09:18 PM
when i did mine it was annoying. i tryed sealing the whole pan and i couldnt get the gaskett to stay in place during installation it was slidin around like a drunk on ice skates so i had to remove all the permatex or whatever the hell it was i used that sucked i finally said screw it no sealant and what do you no 3 months no leaks im sure it will one day but hey it saved me a lot throwing shit around the shop.

pixiesfan78
05-09-2004, 09:21 PM
'' it saved me a lot OF throwing shit around the shop'' yeah thats what i ment. smoke another one.