PDA

View Full Version : struts ...

Dutchboy
07-15-2002, 04:29 PM
How many bouces should the car do when checking to see if the struts and shocks are good..???? 1? 2??

I got 195 60 r15s on my car and as of late they rub with even 2 people in my car...They do however stick out a little past the fender so they cant go in the wheel well under heavy load..!
Im driving across Canada in 2 weeks and cant have them rubbing all the way...I dont think much tire would be left..

Thanks
Ben

POS carb
07-15-2002, 05:18 PM
if the car sags a lot it's a spring problem, struts just add inertia to keep it from going boing-boing-boing

Jims 86LXI HB
07-15-2002, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Dutchboy
How many bouces should the car do when checking to see if the struts and shocks are good..???? 1? 2??

I got 195 60 r15s on my car and as of late they rub with even 2 people in my car...They do however stick out a little past the fender so they cant go in the wheel well under heavy load..!
Im driving across Canada in 2 weeks and cant have them rubbing all the way...I dont think much tire would be left..

Thanks
Ben

Some people say 1 some say 2, I say 1.

Part of your rubbing problem is caused by running larger tires than your surposed to. The tires are taller than what was oem. The 195/55-15 size is closer to the overall height of the oem tires and would be less likely to rub. And I'll bet your running rims that are less than 40mm offset, that would move the tires closer to the edge of the fender and make the problem worse. You might be able to roll the fenders and get the clearence you need. If that still doesn't work you'll need to get tires that aren't so tall, 195/50's would be even shorter than 195/55's and of course 195/60's

B16 ED9
07-15-2002, 07:16 PM
i had to roll the fender lip on the rear of my car. the rims i have are less the 40mm offset (i believe) they are 15's with 205/50/15's. after rolling the fender lips i've had no problem with rubbing on the outside of the tires

Dutchboy
07-15-2002, 09:14 PM
Thanks guys...

It seems that the car sags a little more in the rear than the front...

And my rims do stick out a lttle past the fender lip...might get new rims...well i got my buddys rims on now..14's with same tires but the offset is diffenrt .no problems now so far...

To roll the fender lip what needs to be done...my one fender lip on the drivers is getting soft with rust so will that make the job harder??????

And my car goes normal after in about 1 1/2 or near two i guess....but with these tires now and the differnet rim its all good...
one thing i did notice is the bigger body roll i got now!!!!!:eek:
before i had hardley any roll now i do and my buddys got none now and he likes it better with my rims on his car...
oh well i might sacrifice the handling for the rims...

OH and what psi do you guys run your tires at.?????? mine...195 60 r15's are at 32psi .....should i have more or less???? or is it good???

Thanks alot
ben