PDA

View Full Version : question with the B20 swap.

89dxowner
05-03-2004, 07:17 AM
The B20 swap sounds like a good idea BUT, will it pass smog tests in california?

88accordhb
05-04-2004, 01:24 AM
i can't see why it doesn't, as long as all the rite hoses and valves get connected. and it shouldn't be hard since they both came off the 3g mayb just a little bit of custom mounting. i do however agree with wat you're implying, ca totally sux on automobil laws. you can have a nail in your tire and not pass emmisions. wish i was up there wit all yall oregon pple.
i'm dreamin me a b20a too! btw, my car is ganna be wayyy illegal in CA by next week anyways. lol

89dxowner
05-04-2004, 11:47 AM
i can't see why it doesn't, as long as all the rite hoses and valves get connected. and it shouldn't be hard since they both came off the 3g mayb just a little bit of custom mounting. i do however agree with wat you're implying, ca totally sux on automobil laws. you can have a nail in your tire and not pass emmisions. wish i was up there wit all yall oregon pple.
i'm dreamin me a b20a too! btw, my car is ganna be wayyy illegal in CA by next week anyways. lol

Why is that???

adams86lxi
05-04-2004, 04:39 PM
i have a b20a in my accord and i live in cali. I have to have it smoged in about a year so i will tell every one then!

88accordhb
05-04-2004, 09:43 PM
why is my gonna be illegal? becuase i'm removing the cat, one of the essentials for auto's in CA. in lots of other states too. but the cat is a restriction, soo basically i'm doin a exhaust system using the stock piping. the pipe runs from the manifold, to the resonator, to the muffler. i just hope i don't get gay smoke coming out all the time but i should notice a different tone and maybe a little increase in ponies.

88accordhb
05-04-2004, 09:46 PM
btw:adam, you wont find another person that's more jealous of your car then me. just thinkin of that b20a in my car makes me pop one.

89dxowner
05-04-2004, 09:51 PM
lmao well i didn't know that you were takin out the cat.

88accordhb
05-04-2004, 09:58 PM
lmao well i didn't know that you were takin out the cat.
yah my friend took the cat of her stock 92 lude, just straigh pipe, and she has one of those n1 muffler on it, stock piping, it sounds louder than when she had the cat, soo that's kinda wat i'm goin for. people that know me knows i'm just out to piss people off with my exhaust.

shepherd79
05-05-2004, 03:57 AM
here is the problem with cali. the cali has most strick laws when it comes to moding the cars. everything you put on your car must have government oproval document or they will fail you. i have seen guys who spent thousands of dollars on importing JDM engines and exhaust and so on and on, but when thet time came to do the emission test and inspection, they failed because they didn't have proper document.
second of all, you will fail emission test and visual test if you remove catalytic converter. since you live in cali, it is better for you to get high flowing cat.
so every time you do something, you need to check with your local DMV about it to make sure it is legal to do that. if it is not ask them how can you make it legal. Some document from the companies may prove that.

carotman
05-05-2004, 06:18 AM
The B20A can easily be mistaken with the B20A5 from the prelude.... which is legal in Cali

88accordhb
05-05-2004, 09:13 AM
you will fail emission test and visual test if you remove catalytic converter. since you live in cali, it is better for you to get high flowing cat.
my testpipe is a bolt on, so i can bolt my cat back on when time comes for emission. shepherd is rite though. you should always check with companies and dmv to see if wat youre doing is legal. most of the time you wont pass emmission is becuase of exhaust or intake mods/problems. i don't see why the engine alone will make the car illegal. it's not like you're puttin in some moster 1000 hp engine.