PDA

View Full Version : Help with my old carb'd accord

OldSchoolCool
05-03-2004, 11:51 AM
Hey guys

I was recommended here by the guys at honda-tech.com. I just bought a 1980 Honda Accord for an awesome price, and man is this car sweet. It needs some restoration, so I was thinking maybe I could find some old school JDM accord parts and use those. Does anyone know of any companies that could find parts like that for me? Also, I am looking for some minor mods to give it more the stock 70 HP (carb, intake, etc.) Maybe some polished bits, so when its done I can take it to shows.

Thanks for your help,
Ryan

speedpenguin
05-05-2004, 03:41 PM
upgraded carb, and have a shop build you an exhaust.
wow you have a fun project on your hands.
and i think it's hard to find parts for MY car... yours is like a 2nd or 1st gen....
other than that i think you're going to have to research what's possible with this engine.

88LXi68
05-05-2004, 06:05 PM
try classicgarage.com

shepherd79
02-20-2006, 06:37 AM
if you want more power, i would say start with rebuilding the engine. That would be the best upgrade. Follow with upgraded carb (i would go with Weber). Get custom exhaust made with high flow catalitic converter.
In the prosess of rebuildin the engine, you may want to port and polish the head and call Delta cams for a nice cam (they charge $100 plus $30 for the core + some taxes and shipping charger).

That should give you nice power gains.

87accordHB
02-21-2006, 09:42 PM
This section couldnt of come at a better time because im going to start working on my grandmothers 1980 Accord Hatch 5sp. She was the orginal owner and passed away in 1994 and has sat since then. I am going to bring it back to its orginal factory condition and keep it. But I also have 2 more one a 5sp and the other a auto, so im going to fix another one up and sell...I cant wait. But any information you find, PLEASE POST here. I will need to know it also lol.

Hey guys
I was recommended here by the guys at honda-tech.com. I just bought a 1980 Honda Accord for an awesome price, and man is this car sweet. It needs some restoration, so I was thinking maybe I could find some old school JDM accord parts and use those. Does anyone know of any companies that could find parts like that for me? Also, I am looking for some minor mods to give it more the stock 70 HP (carb, intake, etc.) Maybe some polished bits, so when its done I can take it to shows.
Thanks for your help,
Ryan

'79accord
03-09-2006, 11:50 AM
This site is the best kudo's to 3geez to opening this up to all of us with the
1geez I"ve got a 79 accord lx hatch, (check out the pick in some of my other posts.

Problem... I have virtually no power output in my car. I think I need a new clutch and master. but the carb could be off.
are these things doable for an avid diy'er or would it be best if I had a shop do it for me?

PhydeauX
03-10-2006, 09:56 AM
These cars are fairly simple so diy shouldn't be a problem. The carbs are a pain in the ass though. It's alot easier to swap on a weber, though from your pic thread it seems you are in ca so the emissions ppl might not like that. I gave rebuilding an 83 carb a try once, never again, way more trouble then its worth. Get the manual and you should be able to do most of the work yourself if you are mechanicaly inclined. Its an easy car to learn and work on.

andy

'79accord
03-10-2006, 09:10 PM
thanks with the small amount of money I have I want to keep as much as I can from local shops. Also I think it is just plain better all the way around. cheeper too. also gaining a better understanding of your car is always a plus.

how much does a webber run?

the carb was rebuilt or replaced a while before I got the car. once in my posession I threw $350 just to get the thing to run. 2 x's in the shop and more than 7 days later

now it feel's like it has about 30 hp

the 0-60 b4 was about 13 sec. but it is now pushing 24 sec.
ok so thats my daily whineing about my performance numbers
anbody have ne other ideas regarding a performance boost
thanks