PDA

View Full Version : 3.00 exhausts

SEiCOOLGUY
05-03-2004, 01:24 PM
I noticed that everyone says to get a 2.25 exhaust, but I noticed that KMOD sells 3.00 exhausts. I don't want a weak sounding muffler, and I want as much horsepower as I can get, so should I go for the 3.00?...are there any drawbacks to a 3.00?

SteveDX89
05-03-2004, 01:37 PM
3" is for turbo. Do not get that for NA motor. You will lose power.

AccordEpicenter
05-03-2004, 03:11 PM
agreed... 2.25 will give you best acceleration because it helps your torque curve, a 2.5 would kill more torque and a 3.0 is just overkill on every level with an NA 3g... If you were turbo bigger exaust is better (best is NO exaust)

BITESIZE
05-03-2004, 03:36 PM
2.25 is the only way to go IMHO.

guaynabo89
05-03-2004, 05:26 PM
2.25 is the only way to go IMHO.

You're a what? :kekeke:

dXsquared
05-03-2004, 05:31 PM
2.25 is the only way to go IMAHOMO.

hmm.... i think little dave's coming out of the closet

Travis

SEiCOOLGUY
05-03-2004, 07:26 PM
I"m planning on eventually going turbo, but for now i should stick with 2.25?

SteveDX89
05-04-2004, 02:15 AM
How long until you plan to get the turbo? If it's going to be soon, get the 3" a while. If it's going to be a while, get the 2.25" and then get the 3" when you put the turbo on.

AccordEpicenter
05-04-2004, 07:56 AM
if its gonna be a while dont buy anything until you figure out what you want to do

speedpenguin
05-04-2004, 10:45 AM
if its gonna be a while dont buy anything until you figure out what you want to do
that'd be my advice.
on a related note. what is the required size for turbo?
i mean like if you're getting a big turbo 3" is better but what if it's small, like 10-12 psi. then wouldn't a 2.5" be better?

AccordEpicenter
05-04-2004, 11:12 AM
for turbo people, the less backpressure you can get is best, so no exaust would be the best scenario. 2.5" exaust is more than enough for making serious power in these cars turboed

Justin86
05-04-2004, 11:35 AM
2.5 exhaust would be good but get a 3" down pipe for the turbo. :)

speedpenguin
05-05-2004, 03:34 PM
what's a downpipe?
sorry but i'm incredibly ignorant...

SEiCOOLGUY
05-05-2004, 04:59 PM
thanks a lot, and yeah I'm not going for turbo for a WHILE

SEiCOOLGUY
05-05-2004, 05:05 PM
thanks a lot, and yeah I'm not going for turbo for a WHILE

smufguy
05-05-2004, 05:49 PM
what's a downpipe?
sorry but i'm incredibly ignorant...

downpipe is the pipe that comes out of the exhaust side of the turbo and feeds to the catalytic convertor. Usually they dont have a flex pipe in them, but you can get one made. There are a lot of different sizes and shapes of the downpipe.

The bigger pipe coming out of the turbo with the O2 sensor is the downpipe.

http://users2.ev1.net/~bgbryant/Turbo%20and%20Downpipe.jpg

speedpenguin
05-07-2004, 12:08 PM
hey, thanks.
so does it work in place of or in addition to the exhaust manifold?

smufguy
05-07-2004, 12:18 PM
hey, thanks.
so does it work in place of or in addition to the exhaust manifold?

Even your regular NA header like the DC sports has a Downpipe, even your stock one has one.

In the above pic the brown cast iron thing that sits on top of the turbo is the Manifold (turbo manifold) similar to what a regular NA manifold(top half 4-2 part) looks like.

on a NA header, the 2-1 piece the piece with the flex pipe in it (like the DC header) is the downpipe and the turbocharged car has a downpipe in there as you can see from the above pic

The only difference bwt the NA header and the Turbo "Header" (they dont call it a turbo header, its a turbo manifold) is that there is a Turbo sitting in the exhaust system. Same concept, but just the appearance is different.

speedpenguin
05-07-2004, 12:28 PM
i see
well know that everyone knows how little i know...

HondaBoy
05-07-2004, 02:19 PM
well, with 3 in, you'll have power right at the top near red line. the bottom end will suck ass. my friend has 3 in on his 4 cylinder. to keep up with traffic, he's usually reving past 3500 rpm and usually around 4000 rpm. to keep up with normal traffic i dont usually go over 3000 rpm. also, with 3 in pipe you have very little back pressure and will eventually ruin your engine in some cases. could be because you need high revs to achieve any power. i'd say dont go over 2.5 in pipe. 2.25 is reccomended for our cars, but i may go 2.5 because i want it fairly quiet and i'll put a quiet high flow muffler. as for wanting a strong sound out of the muffler, get something like a flowmaster oval muffler. that doesnt have the farty sounds and the one i heard on a 3gee sounded great with the flowmaster.

Justin86
05-07-2004, 02:30 PM
yea and the size of the down pipe depends on what your doing with the car. If you want some big hp numbers and plan on taking it on the strip the 3" downpipe will kick ass but if you want a good street turbo set up the 2.5" will work better. :)

AccordEpicenter
05-07-2004, 04:10 PM
i dont care what your setup is meant for, bigger is always better with turbo cars, go as big as you can. The best exaust for turbo cars is no exaust

smufguy
05-07-2004, 09:50 PM
i dont care what your setup is meant for, bigger is always better with turbo cars, go as big as you can. The best exaust for turbo cars is no exaust

Exactly, i dont see why a 3" downpipe is better than a 5" downpipe cause once the exhaust gas is phushed thru the turbo and it starts spooling, u can just dump it in air without a downpipe and ur car technically still would run. So i would say for a good street and strip turbo set up, i would say 3" from downpipe to the muffler is a good choice, atleast thats what mine is gonna be and i know a lot of turboed cars run 3" exhaust.

AccordEpicenter
05-08-2004, 07:45 AM
Well yea, i mean 2.25" downpipe to 2.5" is a considerable power gain, while 2.5"-3" has a minimal power gain, and anything over that is minimal power gain if any at all, a 3" is very comparable to having no exaust.

speedpenguin
05-11-2004, 02:20 PM
well i want some backpressure myself. i'm planning on autocross and track racing, not drag, so i need some power at the lower end, and, of course since i'm also driving it on the street...
while we're on this subject, has anyone tried on of those performance catalytic converters? do they really help much?

smufguy
05-11-2004, 02:24 PM
well i want some backpressure myself. i'm planning on autocross and track racing, not drag, so i need some power at the lower end, and, of course since i'm also driving it on the street...
while we're on this subject, has anyone tried on of those performance catalytic converters? do they really help much?

Dont worry about the 'backpressure' and the no power in the low end is below 2500rpm and ur not gonna be autocrossing ur car below or any close to 2500rpm unless u wanna be the last one.

Performance cats are nothing but highflow cats. They are bigger in the inside diameter of their inlet and exit. also, they have bigger honeycombs in the catalyst than the closely packed stock one. So ur getting decent gain in power while keeping ur car street legal.

If u dont have emissions or if u can get a test pipe, get the cat ubolted and stick the test pipe in cause no matter what kinda cat u use, its restrictive. Also, dont forget to get some LSD for ur serious autocrossing ;)

speedpenguin
05-11-2004, 02:30 PM
Dont worry about the 'backpressure' and the no power in the low end is below 2500rpm and ur not gonna be autocrossing ur car below or any close to 2500rpm unless u wanna be the last one.

Performance cats are nothing but highflow cats. They are bigger in the inside diameter of their inlet and exit. also, they have bigger honeycombs in the catalyst than the closely packed stock one. So ur getting decent gain in power while keeping ur car street legal.

If u dont have emissions or if u can get a test pipe, get the cat ubolted and stick the test pipe in cause no matter what kinda cat u use, its restrictive. Also, dont forget to get some LSD for ur serious autocrossing
i live in MD, and we do have emissions, otherwise that cat would have come off a long time ago... i just wanted to know if i'd get a better response than a stock cat, some of the products out there really don't necessarily do what they say they do.
schweeeT!
i'm buying one when i put my exhaust in (not for a while)
i'm putting in LSD after i build the new tranny (accord/teg hybrid.)
after a while this is gonna be a seriously fun car.
unfortunately i only have until fall to do some mods before i go to school and lose all disposable income for the next 15 months...
after that it's back to work!

smufguy
05-11-2004, 04:00 PM
i live in MD, and we do have emissions, otherwise that cat would have come off a long time ago... i just wanted to know if i'd get a better response than a stock cat, some of the products out there really don't necessarily do what they say they do.
schweeeT!
i'm buying one when i put my exhaust in (not for a while)
i'm putting in LSD after i build the new tranny (accord/teg hybrid.)
after a while this is gonna be a seriously fun car.
unfortunately i only have until fall to do some mods before i go to school and lose all disposable income for the next 15 months...
after that it's back to work!

To be honest with you, the whole exhaust from the header, piping and muffler should be in before u can actually say if the response is good. Lemme tell u this, when my car was a carb, i pulled a 0-60 or 11seconds, now with the efi, full exhaust, CAI, 43psi of fuel pressure and suspension, i can easily pull 8.5s and lower all day long no problem. And this possible just with the first two gears, no third needed.

The engine revs up smooth, idles smooth, and even with stock clutch and tires i am now, the car just picks up like i cant believe. Dude at work with the AWD Turbo Laser could not believe that all i have is just a CAI and Full exhaust.

Point being, The Highflow cat does give u performance, only and only if you have a Header, 2.25" piping and a matching muffler. Dont forget that the cat inlet and outlet has to match your exhaust piping and can be bigger than the Downpipe ID, but never smaller.

speedpenguin
05-13-2004, 11:49 AM
i wasn't planning anything but a full exhaust,
oh yeah, and the cats i found only come in 2.5"
i might not go for the header cuz i don't have mucho dinero and i'd have to take it out when i went turbo anyway.
i'm kinda torn between the money loss and the temporary power gain, since it's gonna be a year or two before the turbo gets put in (i'm doing a full engine rebuild first)
and did you use the homemade CAI from the how-to on the site?

smufguy
05-13-2004, 04:01 PM
a catback without a header is a waste of money. pointless and downright stupid. Since ur gonna get a turbo, just hold on to ur money. save it and get it done once and get it done right.

Catco cats from Summit come in all kinda sizes u want.

speedpenguin
05-14-2004, 12:18 PM
well if i was going turbo i'd want 2.5" anyway, no?
2.25 is a lil small for turbo

AccordEpicenter
05-14-2004, 01:00 PM
im not running a header or a catback... stock exhaust just no muffler... pulling 16.2, but i have weight reduction etc

smufguy
05-14-2004, 10:18 PM
well if i was going turbo i'd want 2.5" anyway, no?
2.25 is a lil small for turbo

2.5" or 3" is desired. 2.25" is too restrictive.

speedpenguin
05-17-2004, 11:46 AM
i'm going 2.5" then.

AccordEpicenter
05-17-2004, 08:26 PM
3" exhaust N/A is complete shit and overkill... they sound bad too. 3" exhaust turbo is the complete opposite