PDA

View Full Version : Odd stumble in N or D at idle. None during driving.

DR.ZED
05-03-2004, 02:04 PM
New plugs and wires. Newer fuel filter (both).

Since last week, when I used high octane gas (station ran out of regular gave high octane for same price), the car seems to miss a cylinder at idle. This will happen in N or in D. If I give the car some gas, nothing happens.

Car drives and goes through the revs just like before. It is quite a pronounced miss of a one cylinder when it happens.

This appears to happen warm or cold.

I did notice my dist. cap seal to the head was dirty, and possibly some dirt got inside. Any ideas?

NXRacer
05-03-2004, 04:07 PM
an old cap and rotor can cause funny problems. You might solve your problem by getting a new cap and rotor. They're only like 20 bucks total for both.

DR.ZED
05-04-2004, 05:50 AM
an old cap and rotor can cause funny problems. You might solve your problem by getting a new cap and rotor. They're only like 20 bucks total for both.

You're absolutely right. After I made that post, I removed my cap and sanded down the rotor. It was rusty, and I cleaned a lot of it off.

It was better, but can feel it. New cap and rotor, I shall get.

Does the rotor just pull off? Didn't take a good look.

T-Funk
05-04-2004, 11:18 AM
yeah i just changed mine the other day, just pulls off, but be careful, theres like a little rubber thingy in the post the rotor is on that popped out when i took mine off, luckily i caught it and put er back in

just make sure the metal part of the rotor is facing the same way when you put the new one on, that post and the rotor have flat parts that you just line up so it pretty much prevents putting it on wrong