PDA

View Full Version : just came back from mechanics....

XxDark_AccordxX
05-03-2004, 02:40 PM
well i took my car to the mechanics a few days ago for that loud noise it was making. Ends up ALL of my motor mounts are busted. Basically the engine is just wobbling in there. I found out one of the bolts from one of the motor mounts just wasnt there at all but the area marked in yellow. I guess that mechanic that i USED to go to forgot to put it back in and becuz of that they all went bad. What sucks is it was so long ago i cant prove it. The parts are gona cost me $129.00 and with the labor its gona come to about $500. There goes my paycheck for the next 4 weeks :dunno:

deadlight
05-03-2004, 02:50 PM
do it yourself, motor mounts are easy, even if you're not good with cars, I'm no pro at estimating repair costs but 500 seems outrageous to me. If I can get a clutch installed in my SHO *which involves dropping the subframe* I'm thinking that price is seriously unfair.

AccordEpicenter
05-03-2004, 03:02 PM
fill them with window weld... itll fix broken mounts if you position them correctly and then let dry for a day or 2

XxDark_AccordxX
05-03-2004, 05:31 PM
do it yourself, motor mounts are easy, even if you're not good with cars, I'm no pro at estimating repair costs but 500 seems outrageous to me. If I can get a clutch installed in my SHO *which involves dropping the subframe* I'm thinking that price is seriously unfair.

from what i hear its pretty difficult. I just dont wanna mess it up any more than it is. And yes 500 is crazy. Surprisingly its the cheapest i found. Nobody wants me do it becuz they said its "too big of a job". The reciept showed this for the amount:

rmc:$156.00 x 1 2402 R&R MOUNT, ENGINE OR TRANSAXLE
rmc:$ 23.40 x 1 2306 + AIR COND INTERFERENCE (apparently they hafta remove this and place it back)
rmc:$ 62.40 x 1 2402 R&R ROD, ENGINE TORQUE

then the part is 235.91. so basically about 477.71.

XxDark_AccordxX
05-03-2004, 05:32 PM
yeah i dont know why i said 129.00 for parts. lol just seen that

BKKloppenborg
05-03-2004, 07:43 PM
Ya labor is ALWAYS more then the part itself that is why i am trying to learn how to fix car myself it saves you ALOT of money of labor in the long run...

Blue Impact
05-03-2004, 10:36 PM
It's not as hard as you think. I've replaced the back and front mounts and they are relatively easy - super easy. You might wanna ask if anyone of the guys here who are close to your area might be nice enough to help you out. Good luck.

accordlxi2.0
05-04-2004, 06:02 PM
the same thing happened to me a couple of day's ago . . . . . .
i started to drive off my car made this big ass pop sound from the hood and the engine died, i don't know why but i thought my t/b broke.
but the side mount gave away causeing the part of rear mount to brake.

Vanilla Sky
05-04-2004, 06:50 PM
fly me out there... i'll do it fer free, lol... well, gotta pay me something, but not a whole lot... i just need to get away from the parents...

blazin3gen
05-04-2004, 07:19 PM
yeah i dont know why i said 129.00 for parts. lol just seen that

if u lived in the bay i would hook u up! i know it wouldnt cost me that much to put em on!

Vinny
05-04-2004, 08:42 PM
Well damn the bad luck Jan. I guess I wasn't far off huh? Well it beats the tranny and or clutch theory financially. Alot of the mounts you can do yourself. Might want to try the torque rod first and see if that sures up the feel. Might even be able to get away with replacing the bushings in it. Like 27 bucks for the front and rear torque rod bushings. They shouldn't be too hard to do either, common hand tools and a floor jack I believe. Even the drivers side rubber mount is basically 2 bolts connecting it to the engine side of the mount and one to the body. Thats definitely hand tools, a floor jack with a block of wood to spread the pressure and a torque wrench to tighten it up. Tellin ya get that boyfriend of yours out there and put him to work

Blue Impact
05-05-2004, 11:12 AM
if u lived in the bay i would hook u up! i know it wouldnt cost me that much to put em on!

Cuz it'll only cost Luis $128.99, which is still cheaper. :D But seriously though, it's not as hard as it seems...

accordlxi2.0
05-05-2004, 02:37 PM
for a rear mount . . . . . .
how would you go about replacing the rear mount . . . . . . .

shepherd79
05-05-2004, 02:55 PM
replacing the mounts is very easy.
all you need is basic tool kit. jack, you should have it in your car already, 2x6 board. and your hands, you don't need legs.
to replace the mounts, just jack the side you want to replace and replace it.
i have done it on my car a few times.

1989accordaz
05-05-2004, 03:28 PM
OK, I need motor mounts. Everytime it shifts the car jerks and it feels as if I just hit a bump onm the road.

After reading posts from you guys and getting an estimate from my mechanic ($166.22 for the front and 100.75 for the backone) I decided that I am gonna do it myself. I am gonna replace the front one first, the part itself will cost me around $60 bucks. Hopefully that will be it. The boot is torn and dry. Looks like a flatliner to me.

It looks like I need to remove the center beam so I can have a lot of room to support the engine with a jack and some wood.

I'll keep you posted and maybe I can take some pics and put them on the "how to" section. Any tips and pointers are welcomed, I'll get to it this weekend.

5/9/04
OK I installed the front motor mount ( $ 82.31) jacked it up ( Hydraulic jack) from the transmission and the oilpan with another jack ( the one that comes with the car) and a piece of 2x4, this way, it won't tilt. If you use one it will becasue you are not lifting the engine from it's center. So use two. Had to remove the bolts from the side mount to lift the engine past the center bolt of the engine mount. I also had to remove the front engine mount bracket. Make sure to soak the bolts with WD-40 . I posted the how to on the technical section, I couldn't post it on the "How to". Don't have access to it. Thank you guys a bunch for all yout posts that made this easier. Saved $80 bucks by doing it myself.

By the way the old one broke in two pieces when I took it out.

accordlxi2.0
05-05-2004, 07:03 PM
or just jack it up from the transmission, when i did my side mount, i had trouble getting the new one in and during this the engine tilted in, oh man i was . . . . . .clering throt, um im-a try it tomarrow . . . .

Vanilla Sky
05-06-2004, 12:13 AM
i'm fillin an old set with poly resin to see if that works... for the dogbone, i'll find poly bushings that fit it... just gotta cross-reference those...

XxDark_AccordxX
05-06-2004, 12:23 PM
u guys make it sound so easy

wprocomp
05-06-2004, 01:28 PM
do some checking around or ask some friends that are good with cars...$500 is outragous,hell for $500 my friend will do and engine swap for you,thats what he really chrarges labor for one

XxDark_AccordxX
05-06-2004, 01:31 PM
Yeah everyone is telling me to do that. I always hang out with younger people so most of my friends cant even drive yet. I dont know any mechanics either cuz the one i had for the last year just messed up my car even more

wprocomp
05-06-2004, 01:38 PM
yeah make sure and ask around to see who has a good reputation...also make sure and get a quote from the $500 mofo on paper and take it with you and they may beat that price...I just called my friend and he said that the computer said 1hour 25min labor-so $165 labor...or you can always threaten to kick the mechs ass and make him do it for free :kekeke:

DanLXI88
05-06-2004, 02:07 PM
or you can always threaten to kick the mechs ass and make him do it for free :kekeke:
:lol: I'm sure that will get ya smacked with a big ass wrench :beat: :pc: .
As for the mounts try them yourself 1st. If they are beyond your abilities then pay to have it done. Never doubt yourself man YOU CAN DO IT!
:idea: :rockon: