PDA

View Full Version : Propane Induction

cvergi01
05-04-2004, 04:38 PM
now, I sell insurance and I have a guy insured who has an 89 ford pu diesel with propane hooked up like NOS. I don't trust NOS but propane might be cool. I wanna know what yall know / think espicially A20A1

A20A1
05-04-2004, 04:52 PM
Mine wasn't hooked up like Nistrous port injection though, I just bleed some out before the carb barrels... I think propane has a cooling effect in the combustion chamber... I didn't get much power from the propane but it wasn't under much pressure.

shepherd79
05-04-2004, 05:03 PM
if you think, propane is a fuel. so adding too much fuel will cause the car to die.

HondaBoy
05-04-2004, 05:11 PM
i've never seen propane injection used on a gasoline engine or any engine that uses spark plugs as a detenation. only on diesels have i seen it, maybe using compression as detenation has something to do with it. i'd say that would be cheaper than nos, but i've just never seen it used on a conventional engine. its possible, but i dont know. would be interesting to know about that.

Sean
05-04-2004, 05:46 PM
i use propane to add ocatne and becuase it has a good bit of thermal stability that gasoline does not. not to nention that it burns more evenly and at cooler tempatures.it will also help to recude knock.

Silver86LX
05-04-2004, 07:01 PM
I didn't think propane could work on a gasoline engine. So far, I've only seen it used on diesels.

Justin86
05-04-2004, 07:56 PM
I have seen trucks that run strictly off propane. :)

86LXItooFAST4me
05-05-2004, 06:51 AM
so what is the gain out of using propane in our cars? and why would you do it?

cvergi01
05-05-2004, 07:47 AM
more explosive fuel - higher combustion, but I've never seen it in a gasoline engine, it should work even if the spark doesn't ignite it the heat would giving a longer blow per stroke.......in theory

shepherd79
05-05-2004, 12:22 PM
in europe and asia, you can buy propane conversion kit. it will convert your car EFI or carb to run on propane only. you will have propane tank in the trunk, and you won't see any gains in power. actually running stricly on propane will decrease your HP.

cvergi01
05-05-2004, 12:47 PM
i've done a little looking around and propane has 110 octane rating whereas pump fuel has average of 93. adding the propane at around 3500 rpm should give a pretty good kick right? just working as a timed octane booster. Sean, how did you hook it up? I've got a carb and I know it's possible and I'm going to try, but any ideas on the best way one would?

NXRacer
05-05-2004, 02:42 PM
in europe and asia, you can buy propane conversion kit. it will convert your car EFI or carb to run on propane only. you will have propane tank in the trunk, and you won't see any gains in power. actually running stricly on propane will decrease your HP.
my dad had one of those conversion kits he used on his vans back in the 70's when gas was short. He said he could convert the engine to propane in an afternoon using all the stock parts.

turfnnsurf
05-05-2004, 08:53 PM
here is a site that sells Propane injections kits for turbo cars. http://www.importpoweronline.com/propanecontent.html

It will help all that don't understand how it works and what it's used for.

cspeed
05-11-2004, 02:41 PM
but there's a major plus to propane, it runs a lot cleaner. i've seen vehicles that ran on propane and he never had to perform an oil change, the oil just never got dirty with it. unfortunately he wanted to convert it back to gasoline and as soon as he did, about a month later, the engine was toast (had about 300k on the clock). it's just a better fuel.

cvergi01
05-11-2004, 03:00 PM
do you know how they did it? I've got a spare 3g to play around with and I really wanna try it

hagens89
09-05-2009, 05:06 PM
if they used propane injection, they were most likely diesels. diesels can gain 100+ hp from propane , as well as NOS, because of their inability to detonate. this is also why you can see diesel trucks running 40-50psi no problem. and lastly, diesels, unlike gasoline, make MORE power when th A/F is rich. you cant run a diesel too lean without completely stripping the lines of fuel

hondafiend
11-23-2009, 02:28 PM
As has been said by several already in this thread, propane is indeed a viable and very good fuel for a traditional gas engine. There will not be much difference in power but it is a very clean burning fuel. It is pretty much the same concept as the natural gas Civic GX. It burns very clean and does indeed reduce the need to change the oil. If you do some research you will find that natural gas engines typically last much longer than gas engines. Also, a lot of off road guys with cars convert to propane b/c it allows the engine to run at angles that would empty the fuel bowl of a gas carb. Anyway just my input. Didn't mean to ramble :blah: