PDA

View Full Version : Cruise Control Won't Work

kdagenais
05-05-2004, 05:44 AM
First of I would like to introduce myselfy for this is my first post. I currently own a 1988 Honda Accord DX Sedan and owned it for 4 years now. I am a strong believe in and promote Honda products as often as I can cause of the proven reliability.
My current problem that I am trying to resolve is cruise control won't work. The light on the dash comes but not the one in the instrument panel and all of the fuses are good. I have found a vacuum hose on the unit that appears to be running into the frame and is not hooked up to anything. The hose I am refering to is the biggest one that comes out of the unit itself.
Any help will be appreciated.
Thans In Advance!

86LXItooFAST4me
05-05-2004, 06:20 AM
i have the same problem with the light not coming on in the cluster and it not working. i havent looked into it much yet. so let me know what you did when you fix it! lol. im stumped on the vacum line. crazy thing with mine is that it did work when i first got the car, and now mine doesnt. i have heard the brake light switch on your brake pedal has something to do with it.

kdagenais
05-05-2004, 06:35 AM
The switches are the next thing I have to go over after I detrmine if the vacuum line is the problem. Can anybody tell me exaclty where the switches for the clutch and brakes are for the cruise control?

accordlxi2.0
05-05-2004, 06:52 AM
does the horn work if not then there's the problem . . . .
the switches should be above the clucth and brake pedal . . . . . .

AccordEpicenter
05-05-2004, 06:53 AM
guys test your horns, if your horns dont work the cruise will not work either... the schematics are strange, the horns share a circuit with the cruise.

kdagenais
05-05-2004, 07:10 AM
My horns work fine so that rules that one out for me.
the switches should be above the clucth and brake pedal My questions is about this is on the brake switch is it there suppose to be 2 switches, one for the lights and cc or is it just one.
Also just that of one more thing is there a switch on the gear shifter (manual) also?

EricW
05-05-2004, 07:57 AM
There is one switch that controls the lights and cc. I have a problem with the little blue rubber pieces that deppress the switches on the clutch and brake pedal busting which will cause the cc not to work, and if your unlucky like me you didn't notice the one on the brake pedal break and the lights run your battery dead.

kdagenais
05-05-2004, 08:45 AM
There is one switch that controls the lights and cc. I have a problem with the little blue rubber pieces that deppress the switches on the clutch and brake pedal busting which will cause the cc not to work, and if your unlucky like me you didn't notice the one on the brake pedal break and the lights run your battery dead.
The rubbers went bad on my car about 6 months ago and fortunately my neighbor let me now the brake lights where on before the battery went dead. I will have to check the rubber for the clutch cause I didn't replace them OEM parts just some misc rubbers I found at Auto Zone since it was like 8:30P.M at night when I discovered this problem. Could be it is not pushing the switch in far enough.

accordlxi2.0
05-05-2004, 06:48 PM
wait hlod . . . let's go back for a sec. here you did'nt say if you checked all the fuses, so if the horn's work check the cruise control fuse under the dashbord, if that don't work then the set/resume switch is your prob. . . . . . .
i don't then the rubber's are bothering it any cause if your brake light's come on then your cruise computer is gettin the signal . . . . .i belive the criuse computer would be the last to go or the light would'nt turn on (the main switch)

kdagenais
05-06-2004, 04:35 AM
wait hlod . . . let's go back for a sec. here you did'nt say if you checked all the fuses, so if the horn's work check the cruise control fuse under the dashbord, if that don't work then the set/resume switch is your prob. . . . . . .
i don't then the rubber's are bothering it any cause if your brake light's come on then your cruise computer is gettin the signal . . . . .i belive the criuse computer would be the last to go or the light would'nt turn on (the main switch)

The light on the dash comes but not the one in the instrument panel and all of the fuses are good
All fuses are good as listed in my original post. Is there anyway I can test the set/resume switch before I buy a new part. I am still leaning towards the vacuum line that I found coming off the CC unit itself that is not hooked up to anything. Can some one look at their car and let me know where this goes to. The line I am refering to is the biggest vacuum line that comes of the unit and mine is routed down into the sub frame of the car.
I can't image Honda running vacuum through the sub frame but it lays to pefect and there is a rubber gromet in the hole like it was there to protect the vacuum line so it just might be right.

86LXItooFAST4me
05-06-2004, 04:45 AM
go buy a chilton

accordlxi2.0
05-06-2004, 05:35 AM
well you could test for continuity,
as for the vac line . . .

it's a big ass hose with no number on it
it start's out at the vacuum chamber that by the the cruise solenoid pack, then the line leave's out to a check vavle then from there to a metal line it's the biggest one of all, then the line goes back into a rubber vac line then goes to the intake vac tree . . . .

Vinny
05-06-2004, 05:37 AM
If its a braided type line and comes out of the bottom of the unit its NOT a vacuum line.

kdagenais
05-06-2004, 06:29 AM
If its a braided type line and comes out of the bottom of the unit its NOT a vacuum line.
Thats the one! so it does not have to be hooked up to anything? Then I am assuming that it just goes in the frame as it is. So then my problem must be electrical either the clutch switch, or the set / resume switch. again is there anyway I can test the set / resume switch? Also on the brake switch can I assume since my brake lights are working properly I can rule it out of the problem list? Just one more question, Is there another switch on the gear shifter itself?
Thanks In Advance,

Mac
05-06-2004, 02:07 PM
You can check the set/ resume switch. Find connector C 233. It is under the dash. If you pull out your change box, look to the right of the fuses. You will see 3 connectors with big white square rubber boots over them. The one with 2 wires, 1 pale green with red stripe and 1 pale green with black stripe is C 233. Disconnect it and test the side that goes up to the steering wheel.

With key off, you should have 12 volts on the light green with red stripe wire with the set switch pressed.

With key off, you should have 12 volts on the light green with black stripe wire with the resume switch pressed.

There is also a switch for the brake and one for the clutch that will disengage the cruise. You can not assume that because your brake lights work that the brake switch is good. The brake switch has 2 sets of contacts, 1 is normally open and the other is normally closed.

No there is no switch on the gear shifter for manual trans.

kdagenais
05-06-2004, 06:16 PM
86LXItooFAST4me go buy a chilton
I don't know about your version but mine refers me to the dealer.

Mac,
Thank you detials I will have to try that this weekend. I did bypass the clutch switch tonight and no luck! so that just leaves the brake switch and set / resume switch. I will do some more troubleshooting this weekend. At least I have an idea where to start now.
I will keep you posted on my progress.
Thank You,