PDA

View Full Version : Rusted floor repair

mzabeefy
05-05-2004, 06:00 AM
My floorboard on the passenger side has rusted through and is showing carpet as seen here:
http://www4.ncsu.edu/~phtimmon/pics/carrust.jpg
any suggestions on how to fix this? Would it be possible/safe to weld a new floor in? I don't want to spend too much money, as I got the car for cheap and it has 240k on engine/tranny. It's just kind of embarrassing on dates when the girl sits down in the passenger seat and a loud creaking noise emerges and she sinks about an inch.

AccordEpicenter
05-05-2004, 06:55 AM
wow you have alot of rust for a southern car. If i were you id find somebody who knows how to mig weld get some sheetmetal and cut out the really nasty portions of the floor and just weld in new stuff...

k-roy
05-05-2004, 07:00 AM
Holy shit, I would get a parts car with a strait chassis and start swapping all your good parts over.

HostileJava
05-05-2004, 07:12 AM
Goddamn that is a big hole, you need to pull all the carpet away from there take the seat out, cut out all the old rust and weld a new piece in. You will more then likely end up cutting out where the bracket for the seat mounts so you'll have to remount that. When your all done don't forget to tar coat the bottom so it doesn't happen again any time soon.

PortugalFocus
05-05-2004, 11:51 AM
Goddamn that is a big hole, you need to pull all the carpet away from there take the seat out, cut out all the old rust and weld a new piece in. You will more then likely end up cutting out where the bracket for the seat mounts so you'll have to remount that. When your all done don't forget to tar coat the bottom so it doesn't happen again any time soon.

I agree. Cut all the rust spots and weld new sheetmetal in. You may want to spray the new sheetmetal or whatever you weld in with a rubberized coating to prevent further rust.