PDA

View Full Version : 89 accord hatch ideas...pics..

FishyMan
05-05-2004, 07:42 PM
helllo..
i just picked up a 5-speed 88 accord lxi hatch..to learn standard. i guess u can consider me a noob, as i am venturing and getting my feet wet in the automotive sense..

i was curious what things i can do this weekend to clean it up and get it into shape. i am thinking of doing an oil change this weekend and cleaning the interior. what other things do you guys suggest I can do at home? what specific tools and what not? [told you i was a noob, maybe thinking of picking up a tool set or something]

two things wrong:
-driver side window motor doesn't roll up and goes down only 1/4 ..
-hydraulics on hatch don't work..

if u guys can post pics of your hatch and suggestion, i gladly appreciate it. well, that's all to start things off, i wonder how this community is. this board seems very informative w/ the diys and dedicating to the 3rd genz..

thanks !!

superguillermo
05-05-2004, 10:49 PM
Choose to work on LOOKS and/or PERFORMANCE...

Looks: Performance:
Paint job Cold air intake
Rims/Tires Ignition upgrade (MSD, wires, etc.)
Suspension upgrade Exhaust
Window tint Suspension/Rims/Tires
Body kits Etc.
Etc.

The basics: Oil change, spark plugs & wires replacement, fuel filter replacement, air filter check, tranny oil check, and make sure your ECU isn't giving off any codes. It might be a good idea to get a car manual.

bobafett
05-05-2004, 11:12 PM
for tools you will need metric only... (maybe obvious to you, but you did say you were a newb)

the most common tools you will need for working on your car are the

10mm, 12mm, 14mm, 17mm. i have found 7mm, and also a screwdriver and 1/4" 3/8" and 1/2" ratchet you will need with the sockets.

extensions for your rachets are nice, and a jack to get the car up to change the oil. (which takes 17mm socket or wrench to undo)

pick up either a haynes or chilton manual to learn more about the car, and ask any questions you think of, there are a lot of good people on here who can help you out...

lightbulblxi
05-06-2004, 10:41 AM
since you are a noob, here is something u may wanna consider, it makes oil changes a lot easier. go to www.fram.com, and search for sure drain. my car came with one, and i recomend it, it works very easily.

FishyMan
05-06-2004, 11:34 AM
here are some things that i decide to do:
oil change - did quite often so im pretty okay with it.. does 4 quart matter or 3.7quart as noted by the manual make a different? i usually just use 4, but if any pointers ill take..
air filter - pretty ease :P
cooling system - i saw a diy thread on it.. im just unsure bout this air bubble thing..

a bit unsure:
fuel filter change
spark plug, wires

i read the manual about you just hand thread it in, but then it says it shouldn't overtightened and what not... =I .. well i just scared something may go wrong.. im trying to do a lot of the reserach and DIY's here ..

im not so sure about fuel filter as well... i assume the latter set of changes need more tools, so for now i think i can only do the basics and what not...

keep posting and what not.. thanks to those who've helped.. i really appreciate it. time to search more..

superguillermo
05-06-2004, 01:39 PM
Sounds like you're on the right path. The only way you can take that fear away is to get some tools, a nice Haynes manual, and get to work.

*4 quarts of oil is just perfect
*cooling system: just follow the diy and look at the manual for added pointers
*fuel filter: actually mounted inside the engine on the firewall, not too bad to change
*spark plugs: hand thread in first, then use wrench

lightbulblxi
05-06-2004, 01:52 PM
just make sure you write down the order the spark plug wires are in, so you dint mess it up

johndej
05-06-2004, 02:21 PM
spark plugs aren't too hard if you have the right type of socket and an extender (i had to borrow a friends socket cause the one i had was too small). just unscrew the old ones, had thread the new ones in till tight, then use wrench. if your wires look old then just go to auto zone and get some more, they just snap down once you put them over the plugs. for the air filter, just pull it out at the top of the engine bay and if it looks good then leave it there.

FishyMan
05-09-2004, 09:57 PM
k i did the oil change and it was really DARK !!! yikes... i still haven't had the time to do more stuff yet, but its good i guess.. taking it slowly as tools and knowledge, and fundings seem to be limiting factor. im gonna try do the cooling system, and filters later on.. budgets a bit tight, as i have to balance things... checking here and there waiting for sales to pop up..

i gotta pick up one of those spark plug wrench thing, still a bit unconfident.. but i will look into it in more depth as I have more time...but once again thanks for the tips..

still have to master the 5-speed... as i bought this car to learn on... :P ..

Blue Impact
05-09-2004, 10:05 PM
still have to master the 5-speed... as i bought this car to learn on... :P ..

Just work on mastering 1st gear and reverse. 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th should all be easy. Don't do anything stupid...yet...:D Welcome aboard and good luck.

superguillermo
05-10-2004, 12:18 AM
you can always ask your friendly local autopart person on how to do some of the stuff you wanna do....and the tools u need too. Good luck!

Yea...i bought my honda to learn 5speed too! Just takes time...

BITESIZE
05-10-2004, 10:05 AM
Mine isn't an 88, but an 89 lxi. hit me up for some questions if you want to.

Forgar_88
05-10-2004, 02:19 PM
:welcome: Hey we got another hatchie member among us now!! :rockon: That 5spd thing, well u'll get used to it very quick. And where ya from man?

johndej
05-10-2004, 02:30 PM
o yeah, if you ask the guys at autozone or somewhere on a day thats not to busy most are happy to help. i got a new battary last month and the guy came out and put the new one on and did a test for a drain (yeah, something is drawing juice)

Low Tek
05-10-2004, 10:30 PM
welcome aboard.. when you get spark plugs, I would recommend nippondenzo's. they seem to be good, and the look for 8MM wires, a little bit more money involved but well worth it..

and when you feel more confident, you can get other stuff, like intake...... but again that is later... and as far as the 5 speed, piece of cake.. first is the killer lol

have fun, and remember, the car is your friend

FishyMan
05-11-2004, 01:45 AM
thanks very much to all for the support and welcome

im from hawaii .. so ya, hehe.. kind of odd and perhaps a bit different.. but hey its cool..

ya after this week, i should be good to really get some time, and effort into the car. budget is a thing too.. :P

-currently telling some friend to keep an eye for the window motor
- trying to fix the hydraulics on the hatch.. i hate using a stick to hold it up :P
- trying to flush cooling system
- replace the filters that i'm capable of
- clean interior, exterior
- put in new fluids
- get down the clutch grabbing, and the HILL !!! :P
- research things here and there,

thanks everyone !! :)

YoNkErZAcCoRdLxi
05-11-2004, 05:15 AM