PDA

View Full Version : Paint Job With Rust

steve-024
05-05-2004, 09:20 PM
what is the best thing to do if i am looking to fix some rust spots on my 87 lx accord. should i get a whole new paintjob or spend some money fixing the rust and then put the rest towards tires and suspension .

help me out guys

Magny
05-05-2004, 09:21 PM
ya gotta get the rust controlled otherwise it will continue to eat out the metal and flake away the paint

momo8517
05-06-2004, 04:09 AM
Holes or surface rust? If surface rust...cake...just get a grinder, and grind down the rust to bare metal. Then coat it with some rust inhibitor sealant. If you have a little pitting, you may need a little bondo just to smooth things out. Make sure you sand it smooth. Then prime it then paint it the clear coat it RIGHT AWAY or it'll rust again.

Rust holes are a BITCH. First thing you gotta do is to evaluate your situation. If you have serious rust holes in the classic Honda spot, you may consider junking the car, or finding a junk car with a straight (not rusted) body. The rust typically starts in the middle of the rear quarter panel, about at the back of the wheelwell. From there, it will turn into a big hole, 4-5", and work it's way around the edge of the wheelwell. If you have this going on, and the rust has come all the way around to the rear door (or about halfway around the wheelwell, if you have a coupe or a hatchie) it will be a pain to rebuild. Of course it depends how bad it's rotting.

Anyway basically the best thing to do with holes is to grind down or cut away the rust, and then weld in new sheet metal. From there you're in for a long hard job of grinding the excess off your weld, the applying bondo, then sanding, then applying bondo, then sanding, until your get it smooth and shaped right. Next, prime it and paint it.

There are some great tutorials online, if you hit google up. Oh and by the way, whatever you do, get some rubberized underbody coating and do the insides of the wheelwells and under the car. That controls the rust better than anything.

Depending on the degree of rist you have, you can expect to spend 1000-2000 dollars to have a professional shop fix them. If you have a trade education center around that has an autobody program, they might do it cheap. I got my 90 accord's rust holes and wheelwell rot fixed for about 170 bucks...painted and everything. Not the prettiest thing ever, but it doesn't suck real bad.

Good Luck

steve-024
05-06-2004, 09:42 PM
Holes or surface rust? If surface rust...cake...just get a grinder, and grind down the rust to bare metal. Then coat it with some rust inhibitor sealant. If you have a little pitting, you may need a little bondo just to smooth things out. Make sure you sand it smooth. Then prime it then paint it the clear coat it RIGHT AWAY or it'll rust again.

Rust holes are a BITCH. First thing you gotta do is to evaluate your situation. If you have serious rust holes in the classic Honda spot, you may consider junking the car, or finding a junk car with a straight (not rusted) body. The rust typically starts in the middle of the rear quarter panel, about at the back of the wheelwell. From there, it will turn into a big hole, 4-5", and work it's way around the edge of the wheelwell. If you have this going on, and the rust has come all the way around to the rear door (or about halfway around the wheelwell, if you have a coupe or a hatchie) it will be a pain to rebuild. Of course it depends how bad it's rotting.

Anyway basically the best thing to do with holes is to grind down or cut away the rust, and then weld in new sheet metal. From there you're in for a long hard job of grinding the excess off your weld, the applying bondo, then sanding, then applying bondo, then sanding, until your get it smooth and shaped right. Next, prime it and paint it.

There are some great tutorials online, if you hit google up. Oh and by the way, whatever you do, get some rubberized underbody coating and do the insides of the wheelwells and under the car. That controls the rust better than anything.

Depending on the degree of rist you have, you can expect to spend 1000-2000 dollars to have a professional shop fix them. If you have a trade education center around that has an autobody program, they might do it cheap. I got my 90 accord's rust holes and wheelwell rot fixed for about 170 bucks...painted and everything. Not the prettiest thing ever, but it doesn't suck real bad.

Good Luck

hey thanx alot man helps me out quite a bit , what can i use to grind it out , does it really matter if i use a nomal grinder or will i maybe have to go out and rent one ? and where can i buy the bondo . any paint shop in town ?
thanx bro

SteveDX89
05-07-2004, 02:05 AM
Any grinder will work as long as it grinds. You can get bondo at an auto parts store such as Pep Boys, Autozone, or Advance Auto.

oneslammedlxi
05-07-2004, 11:24 AM
or walmart

Silver86LX
05-07-2004, 05:00 PM
or Canadian Tire