PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on sub speaker

fuzzy audio
05-05-2004, 10:02 PM
Hey all, I just won a PPI amp on ebay, now i need to get a 10" sub for cheap. Any thoughts?

shepherd79
05-06-2004, 04:16 AM
why 10"? why not 12"?

Vanilla Sky
05-06-2004, 04:24 AM
WTF, i posted in here, where did it go??

anyways, what's the power rating on the amp, in both RMS and in peak

MrBen
05-06-2004, 09:38 AM
PPI is a GREAT AMP. I love mine.

fuzzy audio
05-06-2004, 04:14 PM
well the PPI should be on the way, also, I just picked up a Polk 12" sub for $50 new. Just need to get all the other stuff together.

fuzzy audio
05-06-2004, 04:21 PM
had another question, is there any reason, why one couldn't use a truck box to house there sub in there car? I'm wanting to conserve on space as much as possible and it seems like a good opition, but I talked to a guy at Car Toys and was a total ass. Thoughts?

Vanilla Sky
05-06-2004, 07:26 PM
nope, no reason at all... it's best to have a box built for your sub in particular, though

fuzzy audio
05-06-2004, 07:31 PM
cool. i got one, and i'll think about building one in the future, but this will do for now.

one other question. I see a lot of people using 8 gauge wire to get juice to there amps but what do you really actually need? My amp won't run all that hot. only 100watts RMS.

Vanilla Sky
05-06-2004, 07:50 PM
i'd shoot for 4 guage... 8 guage is enough, but i would much rather have more copper for power to go across... kinda more of a bigger is better thing

HondaBoy
05-06-2004, 08:57 PM
are you thinking you can make a box to go under the seats?:dunno: anyway, thats what i'd think if you asked about a truck box. ok, so you wanna conserve space. thats exactly what i want to do if i have a box made or make one myself. in a car, theres just not a lot of space which sucks ass. im thinking of making a box that will fit in the spare wheel well. the ghetto boxes that hold each of my 2 12's are put at the rear of the trunk right by the trunk latch. thats where i got em to sound best. anyway, i'd see if you can get something made to some how fit down in the spare wheel well. i'd also thought to make a box to fit up by the rear shelf inside the trunk, but nah, thats where i've put the amp. dont know if that had anything to do with your question, but maybe that'll give you an idea. i dont think the sub box in the wheel well if far fetched. i'll see what i can do with that. oh, and my wiring is fosgate 8 guage with a nice fuse, my friend hooked me up with that from a car he took it out of. ghetto, but works really well.

fuzzy audio
05-06-2004, 10:10 PM
well i called around and 8 gauge wire is $.25 a foot, so that won't be a problem. I'm going to mount my amp under one of the front seats. I got the sub into the box but it's about a 1/4" to an 1/8" too shallow, so i'm gonna figure out someway to take a little off the back of the speaker box. so, that's where I'm at.

my86dx4dr
05-10-2004, 01:07 AM
well i called around and 8 gauge wire is $.25 a foot, so that won't be a problem. I'm going to mount my amp under one of the front seats. I got the sub into the box but it's about a 1/4" to an 1/8" too shallow, so i'm gonna figure out someway to take a little off the back of the speaker box. so, that's where I'm at.
car toys eh? where are you located?

Forgar_88
05-10-2004, 02:30 PM
Get rid of the 8 gauge wire...go aut gauge! and the whole truck box thing, well, thats for a smaller sized speaker and rarely subs, so i dont recommend it! btw, i am in a community college class for electrical diagnosis and have many friends that work at custom audio stores. They say that using a truck box in a car isnt the best use of the space. If you want better sound and resonance, use a box measured out for your subs.

88ebrake
05-17-2004, 07:19 PM
yeah dude and if u cut on the box it will sound like shit and if ur amp is pushin over say 200 to the sub it will punk out like a bitch

fuzzy audio
05-18-2004, 08:31 AM
Guys it's a temp box so i can add a small amount of lowend to even out the frequencies. Second off, it's temporary. I'm moving accross the country, I need as much trunk space as I can get, but I want to be able to be REALLY happy with my music driving the 2k+ miles. It's working great, and adds the bass that I want. Nothin BOOMin.

As soon as I get the $ and moved, I'll put a real sub box it.

88accordalltheway
05-19-2004, 10:23 PM
save your money and get good stuff. I didnt and now im paying for it, ive gone through 2 12" subs within 9 months. Not fun