PDA

View Full Version : a/c and rpm

sxegirl
07-15-2002, 07:12 PM
when you put on your a/c is your rpm suppose to go up or down.Mine goes down and someone said that its suppose to go up.i have no clue.

guaynabo89
07-16-2002, 03:56 AM
The idle should be the same wit the ac on maybe 50 revs fater. I don't know about the 88-89 accords but, on the 86-87 accords there is a valve on the intake manifold that lets you adjust the idle when you have your ac running.

This is the time when a picture is worth a thousand words.

89accordlxi
07-16-2002, 05:37 AM
On my 89 lxi, the rpms go up when I first turn on the ac. Then afer a while, it will level out to normal.

peace..

DBMaster
07-16-2002, 06:03 AM
There is a relay that signals the ECU to increase the idle speed enough to compensate. When it is working properly the idle speed should end up being the same with the A/C on or off.

Mine has had some intermittent problems in this area, but now seems to be more or less normal.

Unless your idle is dropping so much that you get vibration I wouldn't even worry about it. If the problem is the little relay it's easy to fix, but if it's anything else you will have your hands full trying to track it down.

offthahook
07-16-2002, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by DBMaster
There is a relay that signals the ECU to increase the idle speed enough to compensate. When it is working properly the idle speed should end up being the same with the A/C on or off.

Mine has had some intermittent problems in this area, but now seems to be more or less normal.

Unless your idle is dropping so much that you get vibration I wouldn't even worry about it. If the problem is the little relay it's easy to fix, but if it's anything else you will have your hands full trying to track it down.

Right on. On our older ass cars, the fast idle sometimes will not work properly. It will work, but the RPM's will be a lil low with load on the engine (AC, lights, etc). Easiest fix if your having vibration is to adjust the idle speed, but don't go over about 1200 RPM's with no load.

sxegirl
07-16-2002, 04:05 PM
now how do you adjust the idle speed?

ACCORD EX
07-17-2002, 08:21 AM
to adjust the carb !check the FAQ's > second page > carb questions click here !

MIKE

86AccordLxi
07-17-2002, 08:47 PM
guaynabo89
The idle should be the same wit the ac on maybe 50 revs fater. I don't know about the 88-89 accords but, on the 86-87 accords there is a valve on the intake manifold that lets you adjust the idle when you have your ac running.

Can someone tell me the location of the valve as well as the relay? My rpm drop to about 650-750 w/ the a/c on, and i want to fix this problem.

Alex

offthahook
07-18-2002, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by ACCORD EX
to adjust the carb !check the FAQ's > second page > carb questions click here !

MIKE

Her car is fuel injected. There is a screw on the throttle body that you can adjust, but I'm not sure of the exact location. I know other people on the board could be more specific...

1988starter
07-18-2002, 08:14 AM
it is nead the red hose going into the lest side looking at the tail lights.

accorddude
07-18-2002, 04:38 PM
Mine does the same when I turn the A/C on....shakes like a parkinsin patient, no offense. It's really annoying espically when your trying to sit at the light and having your car shake like crazy...I need help to fix....is the only problem that I have to adjust the Idle Selinoid? Also, when I crank up the car...it idles really high like a little above the 2, and it won't kick down...only whn I turn on the A/C...So if I were to adjust the idle to get the A/C at the right idle place, would it make my idle higher with my A/C off, cause I don't need that any higher than it already is. Please Help! Thanks.

Peace.

Coitis1
07-18-2002, 05:12 PM
I asked about this about a month ago and someone told me how to adust it. I know I'm supposed do it while the car is warm but am i supposed to have it on??? thanks