PDA

View Full Version : Lowering 87 Accord ! Newbie

steve-024
05-06-2004, 08:40 PM
hey guys , might need alot of help on this one , im a newbie but i wanna pimp out my ride and get into the scene more , im thinking of lowering my car and i went to a store in town and they said i could get a 2.25 " drop for 1200 with pro lines . does anyone know how good of a deal im getting , this is without labour fees and hes not going to charge me for labour . i also ran across this
http://www.dynamicautodesign.com/coilovers.htm and i was wondering if i bought this what else would i need to drop my car ?
thanx everyone !

superguillermo
05-06-2004, 08:45 PM
so what exactly are you getting for that price?

steve-024
05-06-2004, 09:04 PM
so what exactly are you getting for that price?
i am getting , pro line shocks , full wheel alignment and soemthing else i forget what he said but it has to do with the rear tires ?

superguillermo
05-07-2004, 01:12 AM
Having a 2.25" drop is not cheap...might as well do it right the first time or you'll end up with a shitty ride. The price sounds about right for a drop, but it also depends on what you're getting.

Busted_Blue
05-07-2004, 08:41 AM
$1200!?

Prolines are decent springs...but I dont remember them being 2inch drop. And for the things you need:

New struts that can handle the stiff springs (ie. Koni Reds/ Revalved Bilstiens)
Most likely a camber kit or you will have bad camber wear.
and of course the springs.

Not like a rock
05-07-2004, 09:17 AM
Steve is talking CDN prices. But the recognized shops in town have a tendancy to rip off people with cars that the shop doesn't take seriously. Before you run out and lower the car, sleuth around the site and make sure you are getting what you want. There are tricks you can do to save money, like using prelude control arms in the front and adjusting the camber in the back with washers (I think).

steve-024
05-07-2004, 04:55 PM
Steve is talking CDN prices. But the recognized shops in town have a tendancy to rip off people with cars that the shop doesn't take seriously. Before you run out and lower the car, sleuth around the site and make sure you are getting what you want. There are tricks you can do to save money, like using prelude control arms in the front and adjusting the camber in the back with washers (I think).

hey thanx everyone for the advice , just wodnering though what excactly do i need , seeing as u guys prolly know more then me , hit me back

SteveDX89
05-07-2004, 05:06 PM
Springs
Struts
Camber Correction
Worn Out Part Replacement (including but not limited to ball joints, tie rod ends, etc.)
Misc. Nuts And Bolts that are self locking

bullard123
05-07-2004, 05:39 PM
I THINK $1200 IS TOO MUCH! I BOUGHT MY SPRINGS (SPRINT LOWERING SPRINGS 2.25' DROP) AT www.dragracing.com FOR $119.99 AND HAD THEM INSTALLED, INCLUDING ALIGNMENT FOR $250. SO I GOT MY CAR LOWERED FOR LESS THAN $500. I THINK YOU SHOULD SHOP AROUND MORE FOR A BETTER DEAL.

SteveDX89
05-07-2004, 07:13 PM
I THINK $1200 IS TOO MUCH! I BOUGHT MY SPRINGS (SPRINT LOWERING SPRINGS 2.25' DROP) AT www.dragracing.com FOR $119.99 AND HAD THEM INSTALLED, INCLUDING ALIGNMENT FOR $250. SO I GOT MY CAR LOWERED FOR LESS THAN $500. I THINK YOU SHOULD SHOP AROUND MORE FOR A BETTER DEAL.

Did you get struts with that deal? If not, you didn't lower it properly. Stock struts cannot handle Sprints. They will blow and you're ride will be extremely bouncy. Then you'll kick yourself when you have to install new struts which are 100 bucks a piece plus a 65 dollar revalve fee per strut and whatever the labor costs to have them put on. Don't forget shipping also. If you're not gonna do it right, don't bother doing it at all.

Jokez
05-10-2004, 02:32 PM
LOL That is WAAAAAAY to much. I lowered my car for $89. I bought my springs on ebay. Advanced auto parts loaned me spring compressors for $40 (which I got back when I returned the compressors). I have had my car lowered for 2 years and I haven't had a problem yet.

carfreak
05-10-2004, 04:14 PM
for me it came to about $370 and that included 1.5 H&R lowering springs and new struts. You should also just put everything on yourself its not that hard. Most likely the hardest part for me was compressing the springs with a spring compressor because the compressor kept slipping off and hiting my leg. :mad:

88accordhb
05-10-2004, 05:17 PM
i lowered my front 2 in drop for free. free coilover, and free choppy work done by me and a buddy. 1200 is a freakin rip off, but you might be better off just paying that 1200 since youre new, don't wanna risk having a bad suspension set up and crashing or some crap. if your goin to drop it that much, then get new struts definitely, you'll blow the stock ones, unless you getting coilovers, then you can keep the stock ones and keep the coil a little higher up so you don't have stut problems.