PDA

View Full Version : Alternator Problem!!!!! HELP!!!!

87LXI Racer
05-07-2004, 05:40 AM
1987 Accord LXI

Just replaced the alternator, drove home no problems. Next morning started the car let it warm up, backed out and stompe don the gas and the battery charge light came back on. Could I have fried the new alt. or could it be a battery problem. Any Suggestion

kdagenais
05-07-2004, 05:52 AM
Check your belt to see if it is still on. Also where did you get the alternator from?

87LXI Racer
05-07-2004, 07:52 AM
I checked the belt and it is still there and the tension is about what it should be. I got the alternator from autozone. It is a remanufactured. But it has a Lifetime warrenty so if it's the alternator i can get it replaced for free.

86LXItooFAST4me
05-07-2004, 08:35 AM
but the belts are kinda tricky, they may look fine or feel right but sometimes that is the problem. i had all kinds of problems with mine and i just said to hell with it and replaced it and never had anymore probs. and on a new belt it will stretch a little so you need to put it on a little tight at first.

kdagenais
05-07-2004, 08:42 AM
You might want to check your wire connections also. Also take a volt meter across your battery before you start the car take a reading. Then start the car and you should be at least 1 volt higher than when the car is not running. Let us know how it turns out.

87LXI Racer
05-07-2004, 09:31 PM
Well, Problem Solved!!!!!

I took both the new and old alternator to autozone to have them tested and the new one was fried but the old one was still putting out 15 volts. I replaced the belt and now there is no problem. Thanks for all your help. It's pretty cool runnin on the factory alternator at 210,000 miles.