PDA

View Full Version : cheapest way to lower my car?

hondaaccord_86
05-02-2002, 09:30 PM
i know lowering my car isn't going to be cheap. but i don't want to spend so much money on it. whats the cheapest and best thing to do for lowering my car?

Jims 86LXI HB
05-02-2002, 09:53 PM
The way you've asked your question means I'm going to be picking the drop height for you. If you want a different drop it will cost more.

$97 Suspension Techniques speed tech 2" drop springs from
www.fastfours.com
$235 Tokico H.P. struts from shox.com (KYB GR-2's can be purchased for less, but are not ment for stiffer lowering springs as they are valved as oem replacements, your car will ride and drive better with the tokico's, frankly their ain't much of a difference in the price anyways).
$?? the prelude control arms for camber correction ($)depends on what your local junk yard wants. When you drop your car more than 1.5" you will need camber correction. I will look up all the info on this if you ask me to.

$149 Neuspeed 1.5" drop springs from www.optauto.com if you don't want to mess with the camber correction thing.

TeKKnoTeKK
05-03-2002, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by hondaaccord_86
i know lowering my car isn't going to be cheap. but i don't want to spend so much money on it. whats the cheapest and best thing to do for lowering my car?

Let some air out of the tires :D

Jims 86LXI HB
05-03-2002, 08:05 PM
LOL! TeKKnoTeKK
:lol

hondamanlxi
05-04-2002, 08:59 AM
is it safer to cut your coils or heat them? BOTH ARE FREE!

Jims 86LXI HB
05-04-2002, 10:37 AM
is it safer to cut your coils or heat them? BOTH ARE FREE!

For goodness sake DO NOT HEAT them! Heat removes the "spring" out of a spring. Making it more like plain old steel and less able to be a spring. I see allot more negitive advice on cutting your springs to, and not allot of success stories. You can get lowering springs for as little as $97 for 2" suspension techniques speed tech springs from www.fastfours.com.

For sure it's would be safer to cut them. Just make sure you use caution while cutting them and don't let the rest of the spring heat up to much while your cutting them. My advice would be to get a set of springs from a junk yard, that way if it doesn't work you haven't torn apart your car and you can still drive it.

Jerren
05-04-2002, 01:53 PM
yah i was gonna say the cheapest way to lower your car is to piss off your girlfriend. they usually dont charge to much to lower your car.

Neuspeed87lx
05-04-2002, 06:41 PM
cutting them would be cheap (free) but you would be better off getting lowering springs. and new struts....i recemend the sprint lowering springs...or get a set off ebay

accordlx
05-05-2002, 08:21 PM
Stop your car at every big ass rock you see and chuck it in the trunk.

Some things should not be done the cheap way. Cutting or heating coils will only cause instabilty problems with your car because the springs were made to be a certain height and not any shorter than they are. The only person that has successfully lowered their car by cutting them is YK (the blue Accord) and he will tell you that the ride isnt as good as his properly lowered Accord.

dXsquared
05-08-2002, 08:21 AM
if you want cheap adjustable suspension, get the arospeed coilovers from
www.speedandstyle.com
they work good and are soooo cheap. not as nice a ride as Weapon R's tho
Travis

Hoshizakido
05-09-2002, 12:23 AM
springs or coilovers are the only way to go. only problem with coil overs is they break easier then a set of springs. cuting stock springs just ruin things

Mike89Accordcom
05-09-2002, 09:07 AM
I'd never recomend this, but you could cut your springs, and have a nice bouncy ride, lol. But don't do that.

Night Rida
05-13-2002, 06:59 PM
Tekno Tekk,
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
You stupid man, lol lol lol
Yah do what Tek says and your all set, but for real, if you don't want to spend too much money on your car and do not plan on keeping it for long, then cut the springs, but I love my 3G and would NEVER EEEEEEEEEEEVER DO THAT nor would I recommend anybody really doing it though if they care about there 3G like the rest of us do! I plan on getting Tokikos, and lowering springs(suspension tech) I have the camber kit installed already!
Jay
Night Rida:badass: