PDA

View Full Version : *Car "Dictionary" Section Addition*

MIK3
05-08-2004, 11:35 PM
I was thinking, 3geez should have a car dictionary type section in one of the threads, or make a new thread, or what not. It would simply contain any and all terms related to cars that people might be a little confused on. This way when someone is talking about they're master cylinder or coil over, other people can simply go to this thread, and look it up, and have a better understanding overall. The mods and admins would have to start it off with the basic terms, and then other users add on as necessary, with the approval from moderators first off. Nothing but definitions would be in there, and once the definition was in there, the thread would be locked so that no spamming could take place. Is anyone else in favor of this idea? I think it would be useful to all the newbs, and some not so news that don't have quite a handle on car terminology. Here's an example:

Title: What is an Intake Manifold?

"Intake Manfiold: The connecting tubes between the base of the carburetor and the port openings to the intake valve or intake ports that transport an air fuel type mixture to each of the cylinders in the car."

I say let's have a go at it.

87accordlxi
05-09-2004, 07:45 AM
I like it. We can lock the thread right away so that only mods can post in it. I'll try to find time to work on it this week, but if anyone wants to contribute, send them to me.

87AccordsterLx
05-09-2004, 09:57 AM
Joe do a google search with "Automotive Terminology" and it will return a ton of results... I was begining to list them but there are too many.

MIK3
05-09-2004, 06:48 PM
Good deal. I'll be more than happy to search for terminology and then send it to you mods for approval. I'm here if you need any help. Glad to see you're considering it.

MrBen
05-09-2004, 08:54 PM
Yeah it's a good idea and I was thinking about using your idea, and stretching it out even more. We can have a general dictionary subforum, and also have these terms act as links. For example, someone makes a post:

"Hey my brake pedal goes to the floor. Is the master cylinder bad?"

The underlined part would be a link. Users can move their mouse over it and it will give the definition in a pop up bubble, and the direct link to the definition. In effect, these terms in the dictionary subforum spread out and apply themselves to every post on the board. I remember seeing a forum a while back with a feature like this, and it was vBulletin.

johndej
05-10-2004, 02:37 PM
that sounds like a great idea (just the extra section) and ghettoaccords idea sounds good but may be hard to pull off and kinda wierd for peeps w/ the scroller mouse (i hate accidently clicking links out in the middle of pages when i'm trying to just read the page)

Mike's89AccordLX
05-10-2004, 02:42 PM
I think it's a good idea but you need to supply all the information. B/c an intake manifold if for FI cars too. See what I mean, it would have to be in better detail. Would it be just for our Accords or for words in general, b/c if it was for our accords there could be small sized pics showing the part or parts. But if it was for all cars then you wouldn't be able to put every intake manifold pic up if you know what I mean.

-Mike

MrBen
05-10-2004, 02:51 PM
that sounds like a great idea (just the extra section) and ghettoaccords idea sounds good but may be hard to pull off and kinda wierd for peeps w/ the scroller mouse (i hate accidently clicking links out in the middle of pages when i'm trying to just read the page)

What if it was made an option? What if it wasn't even a link and just the pop up bubble?

I'm just brainstorming here, but if we can pull it off I'm all for it. With summer coming up I will have a tad more time on my hands to begin this process.

johndej
05-10-2004, 03:35 PM
yeah, like switch it on under the background/skin changer thing, that would be cool

MIK3
05-10-2004, 05:17 PM
That pop up bubble is such a good idea. I love how the pop up bubble occurs when you hold your mouse over a thread in a forum, this way, if dial up users don't want to load the page, they can just read the first post. That's one of the most useful things on this board, and to use that as an idea for car terminology is awesome. Yeah, I was just going to post in on how we should have a ton more time with summer rolling around and what not, for those of us in school.