PDA

View Full Version : White smoke dilemna

Modemagic
05-09-2004, 07:30 AM
Hey all,

On my '87 Carbed 4-dr. lately its been really dumping out the white smoke. It did it awhile back, but seemed to stop after I dumped a bottle of Heet gas dryer in the gas tank, seeming to start after a heavy rain here. It seemed to start smoking again after I had rinsed the car off with a garden hose. (For those of you who don't know, my accord has a bed and pretty easy access to the fuel tank underneath.

The heavy white smoke would make it sound like the head gasket is suspect, but my coolant level hasn't dropped, my temp. gauge is at the normal range, and the car seems to run very well otherwise. My coolant level remains at the top, with no signs of water in the oilpan via the dipstick. Does this just sound like water in the tank??

Thanks all..

XxDark_AccordxX
05-09-2004, 09:42 AM
I remember a few times when my car pulled that. The first time was when my dad owned it and he put the wrong oil in the car :uh: and another time was when i had an oil leak. It only really did it when i accelerated tho. It was like a thick white smoke and i mean when i looked back thats ALL you could see. it was so embarrasing lol. Good luck finding out what it is tho.

Modemagic
05-09-2004, 10:59 AM
Thats kinda wierd... I always thought oil was blue smoke, but I'm definately no mechanic. any other thoughts from anyone?

HondaBoy
05-09-2004, 11:16 AM
if you're worried about it being the head gasket, next time you change the oil, check and see if its a coffie or muddy, or rusted color. any wierdness of the oil color like that can sometimes tell you. also, if you have oil in the coolant, it would be a sign of the head gasket. if you're losing coolant and it doesnt leak on the ground, it could be a sign the head gasket it leaking it into the oil. now, it could just be moisture in the fuel system. if you dont regularly let the fuel level get down to empty, it could have moisture build up. like i do, i let the gas go near empty before refilling. i'd had the problem of moisture if i didnt let it get empty before filling up the gas. i live in a very humid area. also, its possible it could be your valve guides and or seals. those like to go out sometimes. thats what i can thing of making some smoke come out the tail pipe. yeah, i remember your accord "truck", thats so cool.

X-Rated
05-10-2004, 11:28 AM
sounds like ur havin moisture burning in ur exhaust system....either by coolant burning in ur engine, which means ur car is fucked or if it does this white smoke when ur starting the car, then its normal.......probably due to not a lot of use.....my old car done tht b4 and my rx7 done tht before the engine went (78 T/A hardly used, white smoke, normal; 89 RX7, apex seal fried, engine got fucked)

hope u find whats wrong wit ur car......and my bad bout my ramblin if it made no sense.....