PDA

View Full Version : Jensen amps?

Mattphi
05-09-2004, 09:29 AM
Are they good?

pimp86LX
05-09-2004, 10:19 AM
good yes. great no. I've used a Jensen 300 and it was a good bang for the buck.

as a general rule of thumb, never trust the rated watts. When buying an amp always try and find the rated continuous RMS watts or better yet measure the output if you have the right equiptment.

example. My 300w Audiovox amp is ......ehh ok. Continuous RMS was rated at 210 and I measured a good 190. Bridged, it powers a 350w RMS 12" sub in a 1ft^3 sealed box and it sounds alright. (remember though, underpowering a sub can be damaging)

AccordEpicenter
05-09-2004, 11:44 AM
Jensen sucks, so does audiovox

TJ89Accord
05-09-2004, 08:42 PM
Jensen sucks, so does audiovox
:stupid:

pmip
05-09-2004, 09:45 PM
(remember though, underpowering a sub can be damaging)

Not True!!!

Underpowering a sub cannot damage it at all, the damage comes from when the amp is pushed too far and "clipped". It is entirely possible to run a driver rated at 600 watts rms with an amp rated at 50 watts rms as long as you are conservative with the gains. You certainly won't get much output from this setup, but it should not do any damage to the driver unless the signal is clipped.

As for the Jensen, you get what you pay for. In general, the more money you pay for an amp, you will get a cleaner signal, a beefier/more reliably built amp that will put out rated power (if not more), have more features, and will probably be more effecient. This is however an extreme generalization that will vary a lot from company to company and type to type. In other words, if the Jensen is all you can afford, then by all means buy it and be happy with it! The installation will have a much greater effect on the sound then the amplifier choice ever will.

pimp86LX
05-09-2004, 09:51 PM
Not True!!!

Underpowering a sub cannot damage it at all, the damage comes from when the amp is pushed too far and "clipped". It is entirely possible to run a driver rated at 600 watts rms with an amp rated at 50 watts rms as long as you are conservative with the gains. You certainly won't get much output from this setup, but it should not do any damage to the driver unless the signal is clipped.

Well just goes to show that people sometimes hear rumours enough they believe them! From what i've researched i was incorrect. DOH :uh: THe clipped signal will hurt it which I ~suspect~ is what newb's do with underpowered amps.

accordlxi2.0
05-10-2004, 06:27 PM
well the jensen that i had was 680watt's smelled like it has been used, i connected it and it ditorted, so did the profile but performed better than jensen, but i must say jvc is a good brand