PDA

View Full Version : Clear coat over decal?

Robs89LXi
05-09-2004, 03:13 PM
Let me start by saying that I know just about nothing when it comes to automotive painting, so bear with me. I am restoring an '89 LXi, and will be painting it as a part of that process. I want to remove all the emblems from the car, but am toying with the idea of using decals on certain spots. My question is, is it possible to apply a decal to a painted area, then clear coat over it to protect and seal it? Would it decrease the visibility (darker, fuzzy) of the decal? Would I have to worry about bubbling or not making a good seal? If anyone has ever done this or seen it done, please share your thoughts. Any pics or how tos would also be appreciated.
Thanks.

HostileJava
05-09-2004, 06:33 PM
I would say that waxing over the sticker should protect it just as well as the clearcoat and won't cause nearly as many problems should you ever decide to remove it.

johndej
05-09-2004, 06:56 PM
yeah, i'd put the clear coat on, then the sticker.

guaynabo89
05-09-2004, 07:35 PM
Let me start by saying that I know just about nothing when it comes to automotive painting, so bear with me. I am restoring an '89 LXi, and will be painting it as a part of that process. I want to remove all the emblems from the car, but am toying with the idea of using decals on certain spots. My question is, is it possible to apply a decal to a painted area, then clear coat over it to protect and seal it? Would it decrease the visibility (darker, fuzzy) of the decal? Would I have to worry about bubbling or not making a good seal? If anyone has ever done this or seen it done, please share your thoughts. Any pics or how tos would also be appreciated.
Thanks.

Y not go a head and try.

The only problem I see is the clearcoat readting to the sticker and causing imperfections.

customandsound
05-09-2004, 08:23 PM
you can clear decal's ... all the ones on my race car are clear coated over .... ( but that is on a comp only car ) as for a street car you may feel like changing the look after a while so i would clear it then put them on ... to remove the peel them and wipe with thinner to get the gum off

Robs89LXi
05-09-2004, 08:50 PM
you can clear decal's ... all the ones on my race car are clear coated over .... ( but that is on a comp only car ) as for a street car you may feel like changing the look after a while so i would clear it then put them on ... to remove the peel them and wipe with thinner to get the gum off

1. How many coats did you put over the sticker?
2. Did it affect the clarity of the sticker (dark, fuzzy)?
3. How long have you had it, and how is it holding up?

Mattphi
05-10-2004, 04:34 AM
if the sticker faded...you couldnt take it off...or am i reading the question wrong lol