PDA

View Full Version : OMFG no BRAKES HELP !!!!

skull1441
05-09-2004, 06:05 PM
has this happened to anyone ???>......... i was driving and i tried to brake, suddenly the pedal goes allll the way down and no vreakin brake !!! ... i pump it like 3 or 4 times and it start coming back, it starts braking again but when i accelerate again and try to brake, it does same shaith .... i down shifted and E braked my way bak home ... i let the car sit 4 like about 40 mins, i test drive it again, and its fine !!!!! ... im scared to drive the car now cus im scared the shit will happen again ............ any idea what the heck is wrong with it??? o and it makes a click sound when im holding the brake and turning the steering wheel at the same time .... :dunno: i almost giving up.... any help would be great .. thnx

badmanferg
05-09-2004, 06:21 PM
master cylinder.....or you have a leak in your brake line......

skull1441
05-09-2004, 06:22 PM
my brake fluid stayed on max .... ok ... anyone else think its master cylinder??

300700'88lx-i
05-09-2004, 06:34 PM
When I first bought my car, the brake pedal would go straight to the floor sometimes when I first pushed it, I'd have to pump it a couple of times to get the brakes to work. I replaced the master cylinder and it fixed the problem. It's probably the same deal with your car, the seals on the pistons in the master cylinder are probably worn. I'd either rebuild the master cylinder with new seals and the like, or just buy a new one. You should be good to go with either.

guaynabo89
05-09-2004, 06:50 PM
my brake fluid stayed on max .... ok ... anyone else think its master cylinder??

yes

HostileJava
05-09-2004, 06:51 PM
yes

:werd:

skull1441
05-09-2004, 08:07 PM
ok ill replace it ... is there anything that i need to know b4 i replace it???... so i wont fuck it up or something !!! (other than basic stuff, oil, bleeding ,etc ) .. i never did master cylinder job b4

guaynabo89
05-09-2004, 08:10 PM
ok ill replace it ... is there anything that i need to know b4 i replace it???... so i wont fuck it up or something !!! (other than basic stuff, oil, bleeding ,etc ) .. i never did master cylinder job b4

get yourself a flare nut wrench, dont let the fluid get on the paint and remeber to bleed your master cylinder(they usually come wiith a kit)

cubert
05-10-2004, 02:25 AM
i remember when my brakes went...doing 40 mph towards a line of cars waiting at a red light...the brakes worked for about .2 seconds then it felt liek something popped and the pedal went down to th floor..ive never reached for the e-brake and shifted to first at the same time...that sucked

skull1441
05-11-2004, 06:21 PM
ok .. i did not change the cylinder yet but i have been driving my car for 2 days now and the brakes are working fine ...... whats going on here ???!!!!

accordlxi2.0
05-11-2004, 06:34 PM
you know that happened to me too, after me and a neon was racing, on roosevelt, a very long street with alot of traffic light's on a very hot day, i went to get some gas after the long race, and started it up , and i could'nt stop either, i had to e-brake all the way home, had it off for 5 minute's, started it back up , it was as nothing happened even drove crazy, still , nothing till this day i don't know what was wrong with my car,

BTW, did u pump the brakes while the engine was off, then held pressure?????

shepherd79
05-12-2004, 03:29 AM
i say you should replace entire master cylinder/ brake booster assembly. this way you will know your brakes are fine.

guaynabo89
05-12-2004, 10:43 AM
ok .. i did not change the cylinder yet but i have been driving my car for 2 days now and the brakes are working fine ...... whats going on here ???!!!!

thats th sicns of your brake mastrr cylinder is about to go out.

skull1441
05-12-2004, 04:18 PM
you know that happened to me too, after me and a neon was racing, on roosevelt, a very long street with alot of traffic light's on a very hot day, i went to get some gas after the long race, and started it up , and i could'nt stop either, i had to e-brake all the way home, had it off for 5 minute's, started it back up , it was as nothing happened even drove crazy, still , nothing till this day i don't know what was wrong with my car,

BTW, did u pump the brakes while the engine was off, then held pressure?????

ya i pumped the brake while the engine is off and that fixed it i guess...... u said ur brakes were fine till now..... how long is " till now " ???!!

guaynabo89
05-12-2004, 05:07 PM
ya i pumped the brake while the engine is off and that fixed it i guess...... u said ur brakes were fine till now..... how long is " till now " ???!!

Nope... Its not fixed. Your brakes will fail. The symptoms your describing are of a gradually failing master cylinder. If you dont get it replaced you will have an accident.

The only way it wouldnt be your master cylinder is if you were doing alot of extremely hard braking adn only after a while the fluid got hot and yo might get the brake pedal going down and hardly no stopping power.

accordlxi2.0
05-12-2004, 07:10 PM
oh shit i forgot to mention.
i think my problem was i used some realllly cheap brake fluid. mine's is holding fine, who bout yours???

skull1441
05-12-2004, 08:49 PM
its not bad ... ill replace the cylinder screw it ....

pixiesfan78
05-12-2004, 08:58 PM
ok this happened to me also it was about a year ago i have not replaced the master cylinder and it never did it again but a few weeks after it happened i found out my calipers were totally shot and locked against the rotors luckilly i cought it before it warped the rotors so deffinitly pull the wheels and check your calipers also you can drive it for about tne minutes or so and feel your lug nuts if there hot the calipers are fucked .oh yeah i forgot to mention even with new calipres and pads my brakes still suck so im gonna replace my master cylinder to be safe. i would advise the same for you.