PDA

View Full Version : Known weaknesses?

Ducati
05-09-2004, 10:07 PM
What are the known weaknesses of the 3G?

I notice a propensity for rust on the lower rearward side of the rear wheel arches, and along the rocker panels towards the rear. Where else should I watch for rust? What else is prone to go wrong or be a bitch to fix, beside the already notorious awkwardness and difficulties in replacing the alternator?

Blue Impact
05-09-2004, 10:12 PM
Unless the car is cursed (like the 3G coupe I had/drove), you just gotta understand that the car is old and expect it to require maintainance.

BMS
05-09-2004, 10:24 PM
I've been told that the axles go out easily, and mine seem to be doing just that.

Ducati
05-09-2004, 10:28 PM
Unless the car is cursed (like the 3G coupe I had/drove), you just gotta understand that the car is old and expect it to require maintainance.

I maintain my cars with an obsessive-compulsive fanatacism, so I expect neglect wont be a problem. However, as I am not too familiar with the beasts, I hope to be forewarned of any areas of particular concern that might need more attention than other areas.

For example, Alfa Romeo's rust along the rockers and in the "eyebrows" of the fenders above the headlight and require bi-monthly sprays of a capillary-action type of waxy rust preventative treatment, even if the damn spaghetti burner is a garage queen. Also their fuel injection is so troublesome that I ripped it out and went to a DelLorto carb. These are the sorts of things I want to know about the 3G, and Hondas in general. What is prone to cause trouble? What is the most fragile component? Where is rust most likely to form if I am not attentive?
This sort of stuff...

Axles, you say? Thanks for the warning. What are the signs of impending failure? Is it the usual grinding or clunking that I have heard on other cars?

my86dx4dr
05-09-2004, 10:41 PM
um, nuthing has fallen apart or broken on its own in my car, except the muffler came off!

so.....the muffler!.......lol

MrBen
05-09-2004, 11:05 PM
Rust on the rear wheel well lips. Take off the rubber piece that is pressed onto the fender lip and see if any rust bubbles are there. If there are, take care of it. Rust below the trunklid latch above the bumper. Also I have noticed the abundance of balljoints going bad and people asking about it on 3geez, so those are a big deal and should be inspected.

88accordhb
05-09-2004, 11:42 PM
yah alternator horrible to change, the 4g alternators are like...right there jsut a bolt on bolt off. ummm damn swqeeking too! mine sounds like it's coming from the back. chirp chirp chirp

cubert
05-10-2004, 02:20 AM
i dunno about the carbed accords...but on my lxi it was 20 minutes off and 20 minutes back on for the alternator..it took longer to get to autozone and back.

if the car is taken care of...it will go good. I beat the absolute snot out of mine and it refuses to die. The things that are gonna go are the things that rust and wear out..most of them already having been said. The axles, ball joints, exhaust rusting out, body rust, etc..Just take care of it and itll be good to you..drive it like a retard (like me) and it will still be good to you. The only time it left me stranded was when the alternator went...whcih could have been prevented because it made noise for at least a month before it died

Blue Impact
05-10-2004, 09:22 AM
yah alternator horrible to change, the 4g alternators are like...right there jsut a bolt on bolt off. ummm damn swqeeking too! mine sounds like it's coming from the back. chirp chirp chirp

Geez, if the alternator for the 3G Accord is that much trouble to get to, I can imagine what it's like for my G2 Integra then - more trouble. :D

k-roy
05-10-2004, 10:34 AM
Valve cover gromments, valve cover gasket, timing belt cover seal, cam seal, valve stem seals, head gasket, timing belt, driveshafts (cv joints), alternator, fuel pump, oil pan &gasket, adjust the timing and valves, change the fluids religiously, ball joints, alignment and brakes. If all that is good the car should last a long long time.

Morpheus
05-10-2004, 12:21 PM

performance :D

MilTownSHO
05-10-2004, 12:41 PM
What else is prone to go wrong or be a bitch to fix, beside the already notorious awkwardness and difficulties in replacing the alternator?
The exact reason I sold my car! :uh:

Silver86LX
05-10-2004, 12:43 PM
Also I have noticed the abundance of balljoints going bad and people asking about it on 3geez, so those are a big deal and should be inspected.

I went through 2 balljoints in less than a year on my '86.

BKKloppenborg
05-10-2004, 12:46 PM
um, nuthing has fallen apart or broken on its own in my car, except the muffler came off!

so.....the muffler!.......lol

Same here lol! :rofl: Mine fell off and i need a new Exhaust system soon. Also the only other things that is wrong with it is minior things like slow power windows, and opps that all lol.

But MAJOR thing finally died on my Honda about 2 months ago the Carb finally went after 200,000 miles. It cost me 500 dollers to buy a new one, that with a 50% discount because the Honda Dealer didn't know what the hell they were doing and it took them 3 times to put it in right!

*cough* *cough* Dumbasses *cough* *cough*

88accordhb
05-10-2004, 05:27 PM
Geez, if the alternator for the 3G Accord is that much trouble to get to, I can imagine what it's like for my G2 Integra then - more trouble. :D
lol, there's like this tine alternator-size hole between the fatty carb and block. it sux. oh btw, i have the chance to buy a 90 teg from my sisters friend for 200 bucks for a project car, the body is in good condition but the engine had blown head gasket and a shop swaped with another teg gs engine, that one sux. but anyhoo, my mamma wont let me buy it, i'm pissed.

zero.counter
05-10-2004, 06:39 PM

Kryptonite, women, and heavy metal...

Andrew
05-10-2004, 09:32 PM
The flex pipe is appently a bit of a weakness as well, my mechanic says he replaces them all the time.

87AccordsterLx
05-10-2004, 10:51 PM
Watch the CV boots and the thermostat as well...

bobsaccord
05-11-2004, 10:33 AM
my muffler is starting to rust out, and above the bumber the trunk lid latch and the rear wheel wells, does any one know how to get rid of this rust, i know i have to sand it down, put some stuff to get it back in shape and paint, any ideas

NXRacer
05-11-2004, 10:53 AM
i dont know why you guys are complaining about changing out the altenator. Just take off the air box thats between the intake manifold and the firewall and it comes right out! Its litterally less then a 1hr job. If you've done it before it can be done in less then 1/2 hr.

thegreatdane
05-11-2004, 01:55 PM
I dont believe the main relay has been mentioned. The solderings tend to go bad.
The distributor(jumping tach problem). And for the folks in Europe, RUST... They rust like hell over here.

ChaseR
05-12-2004, 12:59 AM
I ended up lifting my motor out a bit to replace the alternator, Figured it would be easier this way? Same with my transmission swap, somtimes if you have a hoist lift er' out...

accordlxi2.0
05-12-2004, 04:11 PM
rust, that's the only thing that's the weakness, hmm the axle's are hoding up pretty well, considering i drive hard.
the alt was easy just raise the engine with the jack, and slide the alt toward's the pass. side. easy for me to do . . . . . . .

deadlight
05-12-2004, 04:24 PM
The exact reason I sold my car! :uh:

The 3gee was a bitch to work on so you bought an SHO? Are you nuts?

Ducati
06-19-2004, 08:19 PM
Cheap & reliable!
Plus, it's a good looking car.
If I want fast, I have the bike.

Power window (Passenger side rear) stopped working recently. Arrgh!

od2681
06-19-2004, 09:57 PM
lets see i broke the axles twice..and the tranny once...oh wait...thats not a weakness..thats my dumbass tryin to peel out without knowing the motor mounts are fucked

Not like a rock
06-19-2004, 10:55 PM
When I had my 86, I went through cv joints pretty fast. Now I have an 89, I use it for delivery and beat the crap out of it and they have held very well.

Now, I hear there is mod for using the 4g Alternator. does anyone know if it will last longer than the 3g one (my alt. swap is down to 18 minutes)?

Wood9669
06-19-2004, 11:05 PM
Watch the CV boots and the thermostat as well...
thermostat!!! DAMN THAT THING!

blazin3gen
06-19-2004, 11:47 PM
i went threw lets see here 1 auto tranny 2 axles 2 ball joints cv boot, and ehh couple light bulbs :D