PDA

View Full Version : CF Hood?

Mattphi
05-10-2004, 03:22 AM
Does anyone know where i can get a carbon fiber hood? Ive seen a few links but i cant seem to find them anymore. I dont want the sticker crap that goes ontop of your existing hood and makes it look like carbon fiber...i want the real stuff. Thanks

86LXItooFAST4me
05-10-2004, 05:53 AM
http://www.3geez.com/search.php?

Vinny
05-10-2004, 05:56 AM
Here ya go (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33646&item=2477431164&rd=1)

DeathRat
05-10-2004, 06:18 AM
I'll be looking into a Carbon Fiber Hood for our cars soon too. I want one myself, but with a slim line scoop where the battery presently sits though. I was thinking of relocating the battery to the trunk, then adding a CAI box where the battery used to be with the scoop on the hood as the inlet air source.

86LXItooFAST4me
05-10-2004, 06:55 AM
if you get a CF hood, is it possible to put like a CF scoop on it or would you want it made like that?

unc25
05-10-2004, 08:07 AM
Since the CF hood isnt that much lighter than the stock hood, If you didnt mind having hte bottom being the stock color. It wouldnt hurt to find a performance shop that could wrap it and then coat it in the resin and clear coat for you. I am currently looking into doing this to my car once I get some cash up to do mods to it.

86LXItooFAST4me
05-10-2004, 08:10 AM
Since the CF hood isnt that much lighter than the stock hood, If you didnt mind having hte bottom being the stock color. It wouldnt hurt to find a performance shop that could wrap it and then coat it in the resin and clear coat for you. I am currently looking into doing this to my car once I get some cash up to do mods to it.

well thats just :rice:

lol not only would you have a CF hood, but it would be a Fake CF Food, thats gay

:rice: :rice:

cvergi01
05-10-2004, 08:44 AM
and the carbon fiber is a lot lighter, you can hold it with two fingers

88LXi68
05-10-2004, 08:46 AM
the CF hood sucks... dont get it. AND YES I am being serious

unc25
05-10-2004, 09:32 AM
Ok how would that be a fake CF hood? Its no different than buying one that is fiberglass on the bottom. \
There is not much you would gain from having the CF hood....The stock hood does not weigh that much.

How is that rice? They wrap it in real carbon fiber and clear coat it only you would know that they wrapped it.

Hey I am heading up to austin right now....what part are you from 86lxitoofast4me?

86LXItooFAST4me
05-10-2004, 09:43 AM
i like CF but a hood that is wraped in CF isnt very appealing IMO. and what does our hood wieght? 30-35 lbs? a CF hood weights about 10 so thats pretty good, worthless if thats the only wieght reduction you have yes. bbut wrapped? that is :rice: ask anyone. i mean what ever floats your bout, this is just IMO.

im in northside austin. im working right now in the heart of austin downtown on 38th street. ever been to austin?

Vinny
05-10-2004, 11:24 AM

Dunno if I' say it SUCKS. But from what I've seen of them as far as the way they fit and all.....Don't buy them unless you plan on doing ALOT of work to get them to look and fit right

DeathRat
05-10-2004, 04:59 PM
I might go fiberglass too as it's cheaper & will still less than the stock hood if done properly.

DeathRat
05-10-2004, 05:00 PM
if you get a CF hood, is it possible to put like a CF scoop on it or would you want it made like that?If I go with the CF hood, yes the scoop will also be CF & molded into the design of the hood as well.

unc25
05-10-2004, 06:12 PM
I have never been here before. i am here in Texas visiting my Family that lives in Kerrville, Houston, and here in Austin. We were downtown earlier and we ate at Amy's Ice Cream shop and drove around UT. I am not to sure if that is any where near you, but i was jus wondering. My cousin goes to Westlake High. ok well I am heading back to Kerrville tomorrow....

My thing is that it doesnt really matter to me about how much it weighs since i am not trying to break a speed record, but if its done right no one will be able to tell...Maybe my boat is easy to float. Each his own.

HostileJava
05-11-2004, 06:36 AM
My thing is that it doesnt really matter to me about how much it weighs since i am not trying to break a speed record, but if its done right no one will be able to tell...Maybe my boat is easy to float. Each his own.

I think your missing the point here. The whole reason behind using CF is because it's a lighter more durable material then steel. Putting CF over somthing as big as a hood just adds weight to the car and is like putting spinner hubcabs on 13" steelies. :sad2: I'm not trying to put you down or anything, just trying to get you to see how other people are looking at it.

smufguy
05-11-2004, 07:30 AM
This goes out to the fella who said the CF hood is not much lighter than the stock hood and the other fella who said its about 10lbs. Well the stock STI hood is all aluminum weighing at 14lbs my man. Ever tried the hood of a S2000? its all aluminum too. So the CF hood, is a lot lighter believe me.

Unless i can get a CF hood with a hood vent for my turbo (that i am getting) its not going on my car ;)

86LXItooFAST4me
05-11-2004, 07:42 AM
so the stock 86-89 accord hood only weights 15lbs?

HostileJava
05-11-2004, 07:47 AM

Yeah, it is pretty light, it's just awkward to handle.

86LXItooFAST4me
05-11-2004, 08:10 AM
man when i picked mine up i could have sworn it was at least 25lbs, lol. guess im just weak

Vanilla Sky
05-11-2004, 10:12 AM
i have a scale i can weigh one on... i guess i'll have to weigh one

TheAsianInside
05-11-2004, 11:09 AM
I just got my cf hood and it seemed a lot lighter than my stock hood. It did fit right on also. I didn't have to do any work to it at all just drilled out the hole for the hood prop But it did seem a lot lighter than the stock hood, all well maybe I should weigh both also.

smufguy
05-11-2004, 01:35 PM

It weighs a lot more. Its because its Sheet metal, wonder why the hood rusts if u got a scratch or something? thats why. It does not weigh 15 lbs, its more like 25lbs+ if u ask me. Cause after i had my accident, in a period of 2 days, my hood started to rust.

86LXItooFAST4me
05-11-2004, 01:39 PM
.... stock hood and the other fella who said its about 10lbs. Well the stock STI hood is all aluminum weighing at 14lbs my man. Ever tried the.....

then what the hell is a STI hood? thats where i got confused, i thought you were talking about an accord hood.

smufguy
05-11-2004, 01:46 PM
then what the hell is a STI hood? thats where i got confused, i thought you were talking about an accord hood.

NO its the Subaru STi. Not the accord. I was comparing their 14lbs all aluminum hood and the Honda S2000 aluminum hood to our cars.

86LXItooFAST4me
05-11-2004, 01:56 PM
oh, so no one knows the actual wieght of the hood?

guaynabo89
05-11-2004, 05:02 PM

Am I goign to have to drive up there to gt your hood situation straightened out? :kekeke:

Well maybe you better drive down here. :cool:

88LXi68
05-11-2004, 05:18 PM
Am I goign to have to drive up there to gt your hood situation straightened out? :kekeke:

Well maybe you better drive down here. :cool:
Check your PMs!

Justin86
05-11-2004, 05:21 PM
I'm most likely just going to cut the webbing under the hood. the cheap easy mods are the best. :D

DeathRat
05-11-2004, 05:53 PM
I'm most likely just going to cut the webbing under the hood. the cheap easy mods are the best. :D
The only thing I see wrong with that is you'll lose the stability at higher speeds due to the air flow under the hood. The hood may fly open because it can't stay rigid enough to keep locked. I have enough trouble with a stock hood at 120 MPH as is right now, as it looks like it may fly open.

Justin86
05-11-2004, 08:44 PM
damn I have gone 130mph with the stock hood no problem. hood pins might be a good idea. I know some people have done this, as for a speed test I'm not sure.

86LXItooFAST4me
05-12-2004, 06:16 AM
yeah, i would say hood pins too if you like to go that fast all the time. but they really dont look to great on our cars for some reason. IMO

DeathRat
05-12-2004, 06:22 AM
yeah, i would say hood pins too if you like to go that fast all the time. but they really dont look to great on our cars for some reason. IMO
Yeah well....looks is not as important as staying alive. lol
I do drive fast, I've got some photo radar tickets to prove it too! lol

86LXItooFAST4me
05-12-2004, 07:34 AM
hey deathrat, you gotta how to on your front clip that you made? or what you used anyway. i like it with the wide driving lights.

smufguy
05-12-2004, 08:04 AM
hey deathrat, you gotta how to on your front clip that you made? or what you used anyway. i like it with the wide driving lights.

Its a body kit dude. also Deathrat, i see u have 17" wheels and big brake kit and lowered it 2" how come none of the actual pics have any resemblence to it?

86LXItooFAST4me
05-12-2004, 08:12 AM
not the one he has on now, the other one on his cardom site. it shows it in two pieces on his table. unless they started selling front clips in two sections or he cut it, i think he made.

Vinny
05-12-2004, 08:27 AM
Its a body kit dude. also Deathrat, i see u have 17" wheels and big brake kit and lowered it 2" how come none of the actual pics have any resemblence to it?

Maybe because those things are listed as Mod "Wish List" :D

Justin86
05-12-2004, 07:14 PM
Yea I'm not crazy about hood pins but I will throw some on if they will have some benefit. I'm not crazy about apperance mods so if it dosen't have a positive impact I really won't do it.

DeathRat
05-12-2004, 07:29 PM

Read it again...That's what I want in my WISH LIST section.....That's why there is no pics of it YET!

BTW! Thnx Vinny!

DeathRat
05-12-2004, 07:34 PM
Page two of my Car Domain site basically shows a "Work In Progress" of my modified ground fx.

Those driving lights are the signal lights actually....All my modifications are listed in my "Mods List" on the first page too.....This includes what parts I used & whom made them as well.

The whole project was done over last winter, & was finished during a week of vacation time I took off (used about 50 hours) to do the final prep & fitting.

DeathRat
05-12-2004, 07:37 PM
not the one he has on now, the other one on his cardom site. it shows it in two pieces on his table. unless they started selling front clips in two sections or he cut it, i think he made.
The two pieces on the table were both the Front & the Rear fascias!
The LH piece is the Rear Fascia, the RH piece is the Front Fascia.
I assume you're talking about this pic???
http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/11/web/491000-491999/491601_28.jpg

86LXItooFAST4me
05-13-2004, 06:41 AM
yeah, thats a actual body kit? it kinda looks like you fabricated them. my bad.

DeathRat
05-13-2004, 07:01 AM
yeah, thats a actual body kit? it kinda looks like you fabricated them. my bad.
It's a sedan Erebuni kit! I just heavily modified it instead of starting from scratch.

Free_3G
05-17-2004, 09:19 AM
i like CF but a hood that is wraped in CF isnt very appealing IMO. and what does our hood wieght? 30-35 lbs? a CF hood weights about 10 so thats pretty good, worthless if thats the only wieght reduction you have yes. bbut wrapped? that is :rice: ask anyone. i mean what ever floats your bout, this is just IMO.

im in northside austin. im working right now in the heart of austin downtown on 38th street. ever been to austin?

Not to put you down or anything, but 10-15lbs can give you an edge. Any little bit of weight saved is speed gained.

ICEMAN707
05-18-2004, 08:06 AM
i won't pay $270 for a plain carbon fiber hood like that. now if it was EVO style or has some nice vents in it, i might consider it... but not a stock copy of the original hood.

DeathRat
05-18-2004, 06:42 PM
i won't pay $270 for a plain carbon fiber hood like that. now if it was EVO style or has some nice vents in it, i might consider it... but not a stock copy of the original hood.
You must remember that CF is more $$$ too. I do agree that just stock replacement is too pricy though......I would like to see some custom hoods is CF actually.

crwa
05-18-2004, 06:52 PM
I bought a cf hood from Princeof auction on ebay and its great... Very clean and finished and it fit well, it was just a pain to line it up perfectly...

I know its stock looking, but I don't see why you guys want aggressive looking hoods like evo style and such, our cars arn't aggressive looking so I think it would look out of place to have a stock bodied car with a mean looking hood...

Vanilla Sky
05-18-2004, 07:39 PM
i'd do it with a stock replica hood... i would have it painted, though... probably cut a ram-air scoop into it, too

smufguy
05-18-2004, 07:46 PM
I bought a cf hood from Princeof auction on ebay and its great... Very clean and finished and it fit well, it was just a pain to line it up perfectly...

I know its stock looking, but I don't see why you guys want aggressive looking hoods like evo style and such, our cars arn't aggressive looking so I think it would look out of place to have a stock bodied car with a mean looking hood...

well i wont mind having a vent in the hood or on the side corners of it cause to disperse the heat from the engine bay. Turbo generates a lot of heat and to cool it down faster, its much easier to have a place where the extra heat can vent thru, so u can have a better cooling of the engine and the turbines itself by air.

TheAsianInside
05-18-2004, 08:41 PM
Yeah I bought mine from prince of auction too...and yeah it was a pain to line up but it looks good so I was cool with that...everyone who sees it likes it so yeah...

Vanilla Sky
05-18-2004, 08:42 PM
pffft... hoods aren't hard to line up... even with only one set of hands working it's not hard...

Justin86
05-18-2004, 09:17 PM
I want one just for the weight reduction, I don't care about looks casue I will paint over it. And with lining up the hood it's pretty easy, just takes pratice.

crwa
05-18-2004, 09:21 PM
Lining it up was a pain for me because I had my dad on the opposite side and he wasn't doin what I wanted him to... It was one of those things that took 30 minutes when it should have taken 5...

oneslammedlxi
05-19-2004, 11:22 AM
heres a good idea for weight reduction......go on a diet....free.....lol