PDA

View Full Version : Stale Gas Question

snapper
05-10-2004, 03:36 AM
I have a SEI with a full tank of gas that has been sitting in my driveway since Nov of 2001. I have to drain the tank in order to drop it for my EFI conversion. My question is if I add some gas stabalizer to it can I use the gas? Even if I can't put it in my car, can I use it in my lawn mowers and such? I just hate to throw away 15 gallons of gas.

Shawn

dosh8er
05-10-2004, 12:45 PM
I have a SEI with a full tank of gas that has been sitting in my driveway since Nov of 2001. I have to drain the tank in order to drop it for my EFI conversion. My question is if I add some gas stabalizer to it can I use the gas? Even if I can't put it in my car, can I use it in my lawn mowers and such? I just hate to throw away 15 gallons of gas.

Shawn

I had a similar situation recently when I hauled the old 89 to the junkyard. I had to drain all the gas out (which btw there is a plug on the drivers side of the tank... 17 mm i think).

It had been sitting there for 8 months, and I doubt the gas was any good. Usually gas will go bad and get moisture in it, and "gum up". (since it's original for was oil, it goes back to that state after a period of time)

I DID NOT use that gas, I gave it to some guys at the quick lube I once worked at... they burned it in their lawnmower and whatever burned gas. I doubt it did them much good, more heartache than use. I'd suggest NOT using that gas, esp. if it's been sitting for 2 years now...

but you can try... I wouldn't put it in any 3g though... that might be asking for trouble.

snapper
05-10-2004, 02:40 PM
That's what I figured. I'll try it out in my crappy lawn mower just for my own curiousity. If it screws it up it'll be a good excuse to get a new one. Thanks for the reply.

Mike's89AccordLX
05-10-2004, 02:46 PM
Yeah gas will lose it's octane level and that cannot be restored by the stabilizer.