PDA

View Full Version : Push Button prob

cvergi01
05-10-2004, 09:25 AM
ok, I tried to set up a push button, I just cut the black w/ white and connected both ends to a switch. I turn on the ignition and hit the switch, hear a click, and no more power. this has happened before when I was trying something different, I think the switch can't handle the power or something to that effect....Little help :help:

BITESIZE
05-10-2004, 10:01 AM
I think you need more than just a switch....probably look into getting a push start button kit...you probably might need a relay.

cvergi01
05-10-2004, 10:21 AM
I wouldn't think so....just completing the circut
-----------| |----------
.............switch............
but obviously I could be wrong

POS carb
05-10-2004, 12:04 PM
it should work I dunno what wire did you hook it up to? Also do u have a 5 speed?

Mac
05-10-2004, 01:52 PM
Just cutting the blk/wht wire and putting it to a switch won't do it. You need to apply 12 volts through the switch to the blk/wht wire.

skull1441
05-10-2004, 02:50 PM
ok, I tried to set up a push button, I just cut the black w/ white and connected both ends to a switch. I turn on the ignition and hit the switch, hear a click, and no more power. this has happened before when I was trying something different, I think the switch can't handle the power or something to that effect....Little help :help:

i did it .. its very easy... u cant put it strait to the swtich, u gotta have it running thro a relay... hook the relay's power to ur acc wire (forgot what color it was, i had to find it my self) so u dont turn the engine while the key is not in the ignition

cvergi01
05-10-2004, 03:54 PM
I used the black with white wire and yes 5 speed. so I guess I'll try it with a relay and the 12 volt. Thanks guys

customandsound
05-10-2004, 04:25 PM
there is a how to on installing a push button start

Mac
05-10-2004, 04:45 PM
You can try it with a relay, but I really don't see a need for it. I mean you could put a relay in but the way I see it, it will be extra work and just something else that can go wrong.

On the switch that you already installed, remove the blk/wht wire that goes up to the ignition switch. Then find a fuse that has 12 volts only with the key in the run position (position 2). Run a wire from there up to the switch where you took off the blk/wht wire that went to the ignition switch.

Actually you could probally just splice a wire into the blk/yel (or yellow) wire and use that. But make sure that the blk/yel (or yellow) wire still remains connected to where it goes.

skull1441
05-10-2004, 05:24 PM
the relay is safer and have better electric flow