PDA

View Full Version : Bumper lights as running lights?

86ACRDLX
05-10-2004, 09:10 PM
has anyone hooked up the bumper blinkers to be running lights and blinkers, or at least just running lights, cuz if i can get them to just be running lights ill still have the corners as blinkers. can anyone help?? or has done this??

Blue Impact
05-10-2004, 11:23 PM
Have you searched? It's relatively easy to wire the bumper lights to be running lights. I've tried having them as blinking running lights, but it didn't work. Search and I'm sure you'll find an answer.

87AccordsterLx
05-11-2004, 08:24 AM
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=113

I have done this only in a slightly different way... My front blinkers are wired to my cornermarkers so they come on and stay on when the parking lights are on. They also blink when you use the blinker. I have disabled my cornermarkers though... If you turn your headlight switch on ONE click, look at your cornermarkers. When you use the blinkers the back side will flash as well as stay on while not flashing. Those are the ones you want to tap into. Let me know if you need some help.

Jokez
05-11-2004, 09:10 AM
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=113

I have done this only in a slightly different way... My front blinkers are wired to my cornermarkers so they come on and stay on when the parking lights are on. They also blink when you use the blinker. I have disabled my cornermarkers though... If you turn your headlight switch on ONE click, look at your cornermarkers. When you use the blinkers the back side will flash as well as stay on while not flashing. Those are the ones you want to tap into. Let me know if you need some help.
Its not relitivly smart to "tap" into the corner marker lights, because it can cause more problems down the road. It can cause loose circuits, ground shorts and corrosion. Plus, its not good for you Alt because your pulling even more power then what was intended. This is kind of a contridiction on my part seeing how I run a 1000 watt amp pulling with no capasitor.

87AccordsterLx
05-11-2004, 09:38 AM
Its not relitivly smart to "tap" into the corner marker lights, because it can cause more problems down the road. It can cause loose circuits, ground shorts and corrosion. Plus, its not good for you Alt because your pulling even more power then what was intended. This is kind of a contridiction on my part seeing how I run a 1000 watt amp pulling with no capasitor.

Actually, if you wire the setup correctly you are drawing in the same amount of power only through a different circuit route. Technically you are not "tapping in" you are merely re-routing the wires. Currently all of my wires are capped and taped to insure that no wire is exposed. I have been running this setup for 2 years and have never had any problems.

I don't understand how you could get "ground shorts" when you are utilizing the same ground as before. The ground wire is not touched in this application so that will never be a problem. As far as corrosion is concerned there is nothing to corrode as long as you use the correct wires. None of the OEM wires are in too bad of shape and they have been there for 17+ years.

To address the alternator, even if you would be drawing more amperage then normal it would take a hell of a lot more then some low wattage light bulbs to over draw your alternator. An alternator is designed to put out far more power then is needed to run your electrical and charge your battery simultaneously.

86ACRDLX
05-11-2004, 10:00 AM
cool, i might be hitting you up on the accordster, cuz i think they look cool as running lights.. so im gonna try it.

POS carb
05-14-2004, 05:03 AM
there are a few ways to do this...
I have brake lights up front (dual fillament) the low is tapped to the parking lights and the high is connected as the original blinker. It glows low and binks bright. This also keeps the temperature down in the housing vs having them bright all the time (they do get hot, altho it would look killer and stay cool w/ some LED bulbs, too bad they're only in red)

DeathRat
05-14-2004, 06:40 AM
I'm thinking of just installing some LEDs in my bumper lights to be used as running lights. My Clear lamps with chrome bulbs run way to hot to keep on all the time. I thought of adding some slim-line LEDs in the sides of the housings & connecting them to a toggle switch.

87AccordsterLx
05-15-2004, 09:04 AM
I coated the inside of the front blinker housing with some high-temp chrome paint where the white plastic is. The lense is made out of plexi-glass so even if it gets hot in there nothing will result of it. When you look through the plexi-glass it all looks metal in there... pretty cool looking. :)

86ACRDLX
05-15-2004, 03:41 PM
i made some with plexiglass too, i was thinkin about doin that with some chrome or silver but i didnt know if it would be toyish looking... but if it looks good i might think about it again..

87AccordsterLx
05-15-2004, 09:13 PM
Let me take some pics so you can see what it would look like...