PDA

View Full Version : two questions

pixiesfan78
05-12-2004, 06:34 AM
step by step how do i change my power antenna? also the red brake light indicator on my dash comes on as soon as i hit the brake all the brake lights work fine and ive' replaced the brake light switch under the dash anybody know what it is and how to fix it?

Mike's89AccordLX
05-12-2004, 06:46 AM
I know that this has been discussed a lot about a year ago. And I know that it can be done without removing the dash. Searching would be your fastest and best bet, b/c I know someone did make a how to or close to one on this topic.

-Mike

86LXItooFAST4me
05-12-2004, 06:57 AM
and when was the last time you changed your oil?

Mike's89AccordLX
05-12-2004, 06:59 AM
I think you probably mean brake fluid. But if he was low on brake fluid it would be on constantly. Seems like there's a short somewhere in the circuit.

-Mike

pixiesfan78
05-12-2004, 07:03 AM
lxi are you high again?

NXRacer
05-12-2004, 07:04 AM
the power antenna is a huge pain in the ass to replace. I had to replace my non-power antenna and that was a pain. Its behind the fuze box on the kick panel on the floor. Make sure you tie a string or something to the end of the old antenna wire so you can pull the new one through where the old one went. It'll save you some 'fishing' time trying to get the new wire back down the hole.

If your brake light indicator comes on when you push the brake, that means one of your brake lights is acting up. Usually from what i've found, its the 3rd brake light. Pull it out and replace it and inspect it to see if there is anything funny with it.

pixiesfan78
05-12-2004, 07:05 AM
but to answer the question yes my fluid is fine is there a sensor or something? if not ifnot im just gonna take the damn bulb out after 4 years im tired of seeing that damn light.

pixiesfan78
05-12-2004, 07:09 AM
good plan on the string nxracer.i never thought about the third light im alwyas cleaning the contacts on the taillights ill give that a shot thanks any other ideas is there a sensor or not?

86LXItooFAST4me
05-12-2004, 07:16 AM
yeah i am a little high and i meant the brake fluid, but i would check all bulbs again to make sure like NX said, and to do a simple test to see if the sensor in the master cyl is good and unplug it. drive around a little and see if it still comes on.

pixiesfan78
05-12-2004, 07:59 AM
ahh so thier is a sensor in the master cylinder thanks lxi. did you bring enough kb for the whole board?lol

pixiesfan78
05-12-2004, 08:00 AM
dude that was your 500th post lxi kudos.

pixiesfan78
05-12-2004, 08:02 AM
i heard you guys down there in texas had some fucked up weather yesterday i moved out of houston 8 months ago i miss the nightlife but not the rest of it.

cvergi01
05-12-2004, 08:03 AM
Does one blinker blink faster than the other?

86LXItooFAST4me
05-12-2004, 08:18 AM
lol, i didnt even notice on the 500 thing. and yeah the rest of it sucks here in the dirty south, unless you got some two hitter quiter like i got about a weekago and still have :bong: haha. im more south so we just had a little shower. nothing bad here

86LXItooFAST4me
05-12-2004, 08:20 AM
oops

pixiesfan78
05-12-2004, 08:33 AM
no the blinkers are even.its always 2 hitter quiter up here were right next to canada. ''oops'' anyways i just unpluged the sensor and it still comes on so i got a short right?

NXRacer
05-12-2004, 08:39 AM
either a short or a bad bulb

86LXItooFAST4me
05-12-2004, 08:43 AM
yeah i would say you gotta short some where then, that was just to see if that sensor was bad. um, i dont know, lol. im stumped, i would have to look at it myself. what kind of pedal do you have when you hit the brakes? does it go to the floor, or does it slowly keep sinking when your at a stop? are you leaking any BK fluid? anyone else have any suggestions? lol

you might wanna just replace all of the bulbs anyway. they are like 20cents apiece if you dont buy them in the packs, ask if they have them individual in the back.

shepherd79
05-12-2004, 08:53 AM
have you checked the brake fluid level lately?
to change the antenna is very easy. it sounds complicated but it is easy.
you will have to unplug all the plugs from the fuse box. remove two nuts and swing the fuse box out of the way.
Now, make sure you have your antenna all the way out.
remove the motor, it has a braket with one nut.
pull the plastic cable out of the motor.
disconnect the motor from the plug.
now, make sure your antenna cable is not binding and free to pull out.
unscrew the two screws on the top of the roof.
connect some kind string or something to the antenna wire.
and start pulling everything out slowly. it may get stuck but be patient with it.
after you get the antenna out the intallation is in reverse.
you can clean the antenna motor right now, it will work a lot better.

pixiesfan78
05-12-2004, 09:37 AM
no i dont leak any fluid. the brakes suck just as much as they always did.all the sockets have been cleaned bulbs replaced and now this is just pissing me off when i do my leds in the dash im taking the damn bulb out.

86LXItooFAST4me
05-12-2004, 09:54 AM
what do you mean by "the brakes suck"? when is the last time you changed pads and changed/turned rotors? have you checked your calipers and brake lines? i fixed my brakes and they wrok great.

Mac
05-12-2004, 02:59 PM
Ok there are 2 brake lights on the dash.

1. Red light that says BRAKE, towards the top of dash with the other idiot lights. This light will come on when you pull up the Emergency brake or if your brake fluid is low.

2. Small red light that says BRAKE LAMP (I think) down low by the car diagram with the door open indicators. This light should come on if you have a burnt out bulb.

Which one is coming on?

If #1 is on, check that the light comes on when you pull E brake up and goes off when you lower it with the key on. Also in the cap on the brake fluid reservoir is a float switch. If you remove the cap and turn the key on the light should come on and when you put the cap back on the light should go off.

If #2 is on, check all the bulbs including the high mount light. If all the bulbs are good, there is a sensor in each tail light assembly. One of them could be bad. Make sure that they are both connected. Maybe go to a junkyard and swap them out. I don't think that they are interchangeable. The right one is a 6 pin and the left one is a 5 pin. Oh that is something else you can check. Make sure that someone didn't put the wrong one in.

pixiesfan78
05-12-2004, 08:28 PM
yeah dude lxi of course i thought of those things i put on new calipers and pads 4 months ago but i did not turn the rotors they were still pretty clean looking.i guess ill pull the wheels and give the rotors a quick rough up sand. but i honestly think i should replace my master cylinder and proportioning valve it does not leak any fluid so its not the lines.the thing was bled like three times after the new pads and calipers so no air in the lines.its got to be the valve and cylinder right. and no mac it is deffinitly not my ebrake light dude you guys deal with to many newbie idiots some people out there do have common since. good idea on counting the pins mac. i didnt think about those little boxes in the taillights thanks thats my next step.if thats all good ill just replace them for the hell of it. damn it lxi now you got me worried about my brakes again. but ive heard quite a few others complain about the shitty brake peddal response.

Mac
05-13-2004, 07:24 PM
and no mac it is deffinitly not my ebrake light dude you guys deal with to many newbie idiots some people out there do have common since.

I appologize if you took my reply as a put down. I don't do that and it was not my intention. But as I read the thread I was confused. I thought that you meant the brake lamp indicator. Then some of the replies talked about bulbs and some talked about fluid level. I thought that I missed something and had to re read it. So I figured if I covered both lights it would help you. Please don't take my reply wrong I was only trying to help.

pixiesfan78
05-26-2004, 08:14 PM
mac i just came back to this thread after a couple weeks any ways just wanted you to know your post did not offend me whatsoever i was just saying that you know sometimes we get some real greenhorn type a questions around here like ''whats that knob under my steering wheel the choke? and anyways a lot of the veteran members are probly tired of dumb questions so much to the point to where they expect them. il tell everyone right now im no mechanic but i got enough common sense to do good tastefull work on my car. as well as im smart enough to look through the threads before i start poppin off stupid questions.anywhoo i guess where im goin with this is it would take a lot to offend me because i know howthis board opperates its really quite sad we are all simular people with the same interests and yet we argue over the airwaves. humanitty is pathetic so everyone quit your blubberin and lets just enjoy the gift of knowledge we recieve everytime we come to 3geez and if your gonna ask a stupid question you have to expect a little jokey joke if we cant joke wheres the fun in comming here. ive even cracked on a few and been cracked on its water under the bridge. kroy and lxitoofast4me are prime examples of guys with a since of humor who just dont give a fuck about all the jive talkin shit they say what they think.you know what we need here is a female threegee member now thats a reason for us all to fight...

ChaseR
05-26-2004, 08:46 PM
mac i just came back to this thread after a couple weeks any ways just wanted you to know your post did not offend me whatsoever i was just saying that you know sometimes we get some real greenhorn type a questions around here like ''whats that knob under my steering wheel the choke? and anyways a lot of the veteran members are probly tired of dumb questions so much to the point to where they expect them. il tell everyone right now im no mechanic but i got enough common sense to do good tastefull work on my car. as well as im smart enough to look through the threads before i start poppin off stupid questions.anywhoo i guess where im goin with this is it would take a lot to offend me because i know howthis board opperates its really quite sad we are all simular people with the same interests and yet we argue over the airwaves. humanitty is pathetic so everyone quit your blubberin and lets just enjoy the gift of knowledge we recieve everytime we come to 3geez and if your gonna ask a stupid question you have to expect a little jokey joke if we cant joke wheres the fun in comming here. ive even cracked on a few and been cracked on its water under the bridge. kroy and lxitoofast4me are prime examples of guys with a since of humor who just dont give a fuck about all the jive talkin shit they say what they think.you know what we need here is a female threegee member now thats a reason for us all to fight...

So What If I pretend to be a girl? :cool:

Mac
05-27-2004, 02:37 PM
pixiesfan78, I fully understand what you are saying. Did you ever find out what is turning on your brake light indicator?

pixiesfan78
05-27-2004, 07:10 PM
no but ive eliminated every thing but the bulb harness sensor things on the taillights. if its not that ill rip my dash apart again and take that damn bulb out and call it good.