PDA

View Full Version : Starting problem

Coitis1
05-12-2004, 11:02 AM
What makes the clicking sound when u have a dead battery? What makes the actual sound, i already know why it does it. Anyways, lately my car will act like it has a dead battery and give me the clicking sound, but it always starts after a few trys. I've had my charging system and battery tested a couple of times and it's all fine. The reason i'm asking is b/c this morning i went out to leave and it didn't even give me the "usual" clicking sound. The only think that clicked when i tried to start it was the main relay, which is fairly new, so i know nothing is wrong w/ it. I had full power though, just no clicking sound or starting. I got home about 20 min. ago and it started right up. I just need to find out what could cause this. Starter? bad starter relay? something. thanks.

Vinny
05-12-2004, 11:26 AM
I'd say starter, usually the clicking is the starter trying to engage

Dibbs
05-12-2004, 11:35 AM
Starter is no good. It's an easy fix. Two bolts. Take it off and take it to AutoZone just to make sure but I'm 99.9% sure it's the starter. You can either take your chances at the junkyard or buy one when you're at AutoZone.

Bloodlust
05-12-2004, 11:39 AM
Definitely the starter.

cvergi01
05-12-2004, 11:57 AM
Well it's the solenoid but if that's out then you might as well just buy a new starter all togather

cvergi01
05-12-2004, 11:58 AM
if you can't buy a new starter right now....give it a good wack and then try to turn it over, it should start right up

Vinny
05-12-2004, 12:10 PM
Didn't you have a starting problem not too long ago that you started a thread on?

skull1441
05-12-2004, 04:31 PM
checked ur electrical connections ??? maybe something loose

Coitis1
05-13-2004, 10:38 AM
thanks, i'll look into the starter. Yeah, vinny, i might have started a thread a long time ago about a starting problem. That was last summer, i think, but i got my main relay replaced and fixed it. The car is pretty much just going to hell either way, its too old and i don't have enough money. But i'm still gonna drive it until its dead b/c i'm paying for school on my own.

Jareds 89 LX-i
05-13-2004, 10:46 AM
Yea it's most definitely the starter relay. It'll click and engage the drive pinion into mesh with the flywheel, but won't connect the B+ to the starter motor power wire like it's supposed to (the solenoid has 2 functions, remember). That's why you hear the clicking and no starty. In the meantime you can either smack the solenoid when it's acting up like that and sometimes it'll make it work (it'll usually always work if you smack it while somebody is holding the key to start), or use a screwdriver or something and jump the B+ and the solenoid, that usually always works.

Coitis1
05-13-2004, 05:38 PM
nice, so if i just replace the starter, the starter relay would be included in that too, right? Sorry for the niave questions, no one around my house knows more than the basics to car repair.

Vinny
05-13-2004, 06:58 PM
yupp all should come together as one assembly run ya anywhere from 69-100 bucks depending on which stater you have and where ya go. Denso is cheaper at autozone, mitsuba is cheaper at partsamerica/advanceauto.

just rull the old one and bring it in with ya. Have them test it just to make their lives a lil more exciting

tozza6
05-13-2004, 11:44 PM
I had exactly the same problem. It began by only happening once every few months then it got worse and worse until i had to push start it one day - new starter fixed it!!