PDA

View Full Version : Catalytic Converter Bolts

lonesquid
05-12-2004, 03:57 PM
I’m replacing the exhaust on my 86 Accord LX from the cat back. I bought some new bolts for the cat thinking the easiest way to get the old exhaust off was to cut the bolts. Well after cutting the rusted out nuts off and removing the old exhaust the bolts on the backside of the cat won’t push through. Are these bolts fixed to the cat? If so, am I going to have to buy a new cat? Any suggestions on how to remove them. :mad:

bobafett
05-12-2004, 04:15 PM
testpipe testpipe//

im not sure if they are welded onto the cat or not, but if you have any interest in modifying your car, you can find high flow cats or test pipes online for around 60

'89AccordLX(Rus)
05-12-2004, 04:20 PM
According to Honda's exploded parts views, the bolts are separate. Try using some PB blaster to loosen them up and then knock them out with a hammer. Place the flange on something solid so that you won't damage the cat itself. Hope this helps.

88accordhb
05-12-2004, 07:30 PM
nope they are bolt on to the cat, both ends all six. at least mine was. wat is the problem with yours? you can't take the cat off?

shepherd79
05-13-2004, 03:15 AM
it all depends on what catalityc converter you are using. on stock one they were pressed in, after years of rust, you won't beable to remove them for sure.

lonesquid
05-13-2004, 06:28 PM
I ended up taking the cat off and sure enough those bolts are welded or studded on there. The honda parts diagram does indicate that those bolts are replaceable but that was not the case on my stock cat. Wish I would have known that before I started. Thanks for your help.

88accordhb
05-13-2004, 07:44 PM
get a new cat on ebay.