PDA

View Full Version : Quickest way to gain hp...

86ACRDLX
05-12-2004, 05:03 PM
ok heres the deal....my friend knows this guy that wants my mini-bike... i dont really want it, so its cool if i lose it. however, id rather not lose...and if i win i get his new tiny bike, i dont know what their called, but their tiny... you get the picture. so what are some quick or easy, or non-expensive ways to gain horse power? i know this has prolly been asked 1 million times, but i havent....so far all i got is flipped lid, opend up and all of that good stuff... and im not sure what but my friend made something tighter for me....lol i dont know what it was though. so what other options do i have. by the way im racing a 91(2) civic, 16 valve, afi with cold air intake thats all i know... my friend said hes real slow on the take off, so i gotta try to beat him out from the start...so any advice??

lucky_87LX
05-12-2004, 05:32 PM
take weight off of your car for the race

johndej
05-12-2004, 05:43 PM
take your spare and tools out, maybe back/passenger seat, anything else you've got time to do

Gregg86DX
05-12-2004, 06:04 PM
Tune it up, new plugs, cap, rotor, etc...
Bump your timing up a few degrees (play with it, see if it helps)
use thinner oil, 0-20 or something
remove belts (A/C, P/S)
practice launching and shifting
drive it like you hate it

88ebrake
05-12-2004, 06:06 PM
set ur timin up a lil too

Roadhouse
05-12-2004, 06:38 PM
I don't know if yours will spin tires or not, but if you get any wheel spin when practicing. Let some air out of the tires for a better launch.

k-roy
05-12-2004, 06:41 PM
N20

Roadhouse
05-12-2004, 06:57 PM
Hell yeah.....i recommend small doses. LOL WHippets anyone??

ivanfbi
05-12-2004, 07:05 PM
kroy, that is too violent to his carbed engine, i would recommend remove all that crap like ac, ps, rear seats, all panels behind driver seat, system(if you have it), spare, tools...+CAI, don't put coffee can muffler on it, because you lose low end torque, cuz you need it to take him right from the start, better put something like dual tip simple muffler, headers(if you can afford it, it really helps), try to get a Weber 32/34(or what ever you carbed GAYS(no offense) call it. AND, MOST IMPORTANT, take your cat off, take everything you will find inside of it out, and put it back on. It will give you extra like 5hp.

Ohh, yeah also if you want to really make sure that you will kill him, put something in his muffler, so only like 1/4 of tip is opened, so he will not be able to raise speed at all...jk :rofl:

88accordhb
05-12-2004, 07:26 PM
plugs plug wires, flip the lid, take the dang p/s, a/c, passenger and rear seats out.

Blue Impact
05-12-2004, 09:23 PM
Don't race! It's not worth it. Ask yourself what you have to prove if you raced.

BMS
05-12-2004, 09:32 PM
i can't wait till i have a place to do this kinda stuff to my car...but exhaust and weight are probably the two most effective things to do.

Ducati
05-12-2004, 09:44 PM
ok heres the deal....my friend knows this guy that wants my mini-bike... i dont really want it, so its cool if i lose it. however, id rather not lose...and if i win i get his new tiny bike, i dont know what their called, but their tiny... you get the picture. so what are some quick or easy, or non-expensive ways to gain horse power? i know this has prolly been asked 1 million times, but i havent....so far all i got is flipped lid, opend up and all of that good stuff... and im not sure what but my friend made something tighter for me....lol i dont know what it was though. so what other options do i have. by the way im racing a 91(2) civic, 16 valve, afi with cold air intake thats all i know... my friend said hes real slow on the take off, so i gotta try to beat him out from the start...so any advice??

You are not going to beat a Civic with a 16 valve VTEC engine with the 110 hp 12 valve G3 in the heavier Accord, assuming that you both have automatic transmissions even if he drives like a spaz. Sorry - it's just that simple. He has 5 more hp and a lighter car. Physics, my friend - remember the rules of Sir Isaac Newton.

What sort of race? A 1/4 mile drag race?

I would seriously reconsider racing upon public streets, however maybe I am just saying that because I am a 49 year old dude who has lost his sense of adventure and the thrill of danger...and have paid out quite literally thousands and thousands of dollars to lawyers (and spent nights and weekends in an assortment of city jail cells) to extracate me from the sort of scrapes that you seem obviously destined to get involved with.
Good On Ya - if no one dies, they are all destined to become great memories

When I was 20, I drag raced my 600+ hp Hemi GTX on public streets under the influence of LSD, so I cannot claim the high moral ground.
At least try to find a nice out-of-the-way place where the only guys who could get crippled or killed are you and him.

superguillermo
05-12-2004, 10:48 PM
When you're racing it's all about the driver, specially when your specs are so close. If you wanna gain those xtra horses get the car as light as possible, practice your take-offs, and make sure you have good FUEL!

I'm not 100% on what additives work best, but I'm sure you can find some.

X-Rated
05-12-2004, 11:01 PM
take the seats out, the spare tires out, flip tht lid.
i aint gonna say more......everyone has the basic idea, just do what theyve said before me......u gonna have a challenge though wit tht civic....

shepherd79
05-13-2004, 03:12 AM
you can't gain HP without spending money. if you want to beat him, you may as well spend extra $400-500 on the motor. If i was you i would do the smart thing and cancel the race.

A20A1
05-13-2004, 04:06 PM
I wouldn't run thinner oil, I would just warm the car up before the race... thats all you need to worry about.

upgrade the damn fuel pump and you'll get more pull off the line.
Other then that don't expect much.

Gregg86DX
05-13-2004, 06:05 PM
Don't race! It's not worth it. Ask yourself what you have to prove if you raced.

That depends, if you win, it proves you are a superior human being, smart, sexy and have a large penis. If you lose, it proves you have not spent enough money on your car yet.

Wanna race?

Gregg

Ducati
05-13-2004, 06:57 PM
It IS POSSIBLE to have too big a dick. Ask me. I know!

BKKloppenborg
05-13-2004, 07:02 PM
It IS POSSIBLE to have too big a dick. Ask me. I know!

LMAO!!! :lol: :rofl:

modu03
05-13-2004, 10:55 PM
uh... in my experience, 91 civic, as long as you get off the line well, you'll take him...

the civic is lighter and has a few extra horses, but your car produces more torque...

oh... your a carbed, never mind, if you can drive better than him, you might be able to take him, but if your an automatic tranny along with that carb... don't even go for it, your gonna lose.

Oyvind Ryeng
05-14-2004, 02:39 AM
Run the car on pure nitromethanol, that would be totally sick. And extremely hard to do, and incredibly expenicive, but I don't think anyone ever has done that to a 3G?

Justin86
05-14-2004, 03:23 PM
weight reduction, I/H/E and N2O.

88ebrake
05-17-2004, 10:37 AM
dude is the civic hb and if ur auto and he is 5 spd ur screwed you will have to spend some money to win unless he is auto and ur 5 spd ull get him race from a stop too DONTrace him from a kick or the vtec will eat u up

BoneStock
05-17-2004, 01:52 PM
First off, I'm not bashing the guys that mention weight reduction because I'm not like that, but I remember reading that every 100lbs you remove = 1/10th of a second in the quarter. I'm not sure that you could remove enough to make a huge difference. Granted, every little bit helps. If you have the time and access, you could put slightly larger tires on. That still gives you a little play to get better traction and makes you go a little faster (tires cover more ground in a rotation). You could also adjust your carb to run just a little rich, but make sure you readjust when you are finished. You don't want to drive around that way.

If you feel like searching (I don't), I think it was hot rod tv that did a segment on ways to improve your et with simple fixes. Changing the tire pressure was one of them. Thes were all changes that could be done at the track with regular hand tools and I think they took almost a half second off their original time.

superguillermo
05-17-2004, 10:36 PM
Bigger tires would just slow you down! Give you shitty acceleration but better top speed.

Busted_Blue
05-18-2004, 12:40 AM
just dont race. Not worth it. Racing for something besides fun isn't worth it.

but if you have to...
weight reduction is your best bet, but keep in mind he might also do the same thing as you. Race with fuel light on. Less fuel = less weight. :)

modu03
05-21-2004, 01:41 PM
just dont race. Not worth it. Racing for something besides fun isn't worth it.

but if you have to...
weight reduction is your best bet, but keep in mind he might also do the same thing as you. Race with fuel light on. Less fuel = less weight. :)

uh... yes less fuel less weight, but if your car acts like the ones I've been in, when your on empty, you seem to produce a little less power....

run with about 1/4 a tank, it'll be better.

also, in general weight reduction is not gonna get you much (100 lbs = 1/10 sec in 1/4 mile)... you can't cutoff enough weight to really change anything.

also, don't race this guys car unless he is an automatic, cause your already down because your drivin a carbed car... if your an automatic also, don't even try it, he'll kick your ass...

a 91 civic ain't nothin for me to beat, but i'm fuel injected and a 5speed, so...

Mike's89AccordLX
05-21-2004, 01:59 PM
Make him give you a head start :)

k-roy
05-21-2004, 02:03 PM
you can't gain HP without spending money.
BS. Ripping out the aircleaner and removing the catalytic convertor is a great free way to gain some needed temporary ponies.

If i was you i would do the smart thing and cancel the race.
Thats the smartest thing I have heard on the net in months. But still racing is racing, they should go to a real track for the safety factor.

Justin86
05-22-2004, 08:41 AM
BS. Ripping out the aircleaner and removing the catalytic convertor is a great free way to gain some needed temporary ponies.

Thats the smartest thing I have heard on the net in months. But still racing is racing, they should go to a real track for the safety factor.
Race him auto cross and see who gets the best time.

AQcz
05-22-2004, 04:42 PM
The first thing that popped in my head was this...

How much is his bike worth?

If the cost of the mods you do come close to the price of his bike it would make more sense to just cancel the race and buy the bike new. If you plan on racing all the time it would make sense to go for more HP, but if it's just for that one time it's just a waste of money in my opinion (especially if you still lose).

Robs89LXi
05-22-2004, 09:42 PM
So has this race taken place yet?

89dxowner
05-23-2004, 11:09 AM
lol these always turn into strange topics towards the end.

speedpenguin
05-24-2004, 03:07 PM
lol these always turn into strange topics towards the end.
so!
who likes fishing?

pixiesfan78
06-02-2004, 11:15 PM
My Dog Farted..............