PDA

View Full Version : Changinh transaxle an need help?

kevins89lxi
07-16-2002, 01:19 PM
I would like to know what tools I will need to replace that old one with a new one? Let me know please. Has anyone done this and how hard was it, and did you run into any troubles?
Thanks

accordlx
07-16-2002, 02:24 PM
I would say that on a scale of 1 to 10, I would give a transmission swap an 8. This is not an easy job that I would suggest to any person without advanced automotive knowledge. The only special tool that you will need to do this job is a 32mm socket to take off the drive axle bolts. Other than that, if you have standard hand tools, you should be able to get the job done. I remember using the 17 mm socket a lot. Here is a how to in swapping from an automatic to a manual tranny. That should give you a place to start. I suggest you do buy at least a Haynes manual to do the job. It is pretty accurate in what you need to do to change the tranny.

rocky2
07-16-2002, 05:32 PM
I just did one a couple months ago. A floor trans jack makes job much easier. I strapped the replacement one tight and hanging off side slightly so you can postion it up-down-side- side. Another key thing is to have clutch/disc right with a centering tool. I did not even take the tire off on drivers side because when I was inserting Trans, there were 2 points of entry to be concerned about.,the axle and the trans axle shaft. I worked out and saved mucho time. And the 2 bolts way low were most diffucult to remove just take your time and chill.

offthahook
07-16-2002, 05:42 PM
You'll prolly need 2-3 guys to help set it. Of course a couple bolts will give you fits getting them off. Be damn sure you van do the whole thing or you will be stuck. Please believe...

ACCORD EX
07-17-2002, 08:22 AM
hard :rolleyes:

MIKE

dosh8er
07-17-2002, 03:34 PM
I agree. I had my old man help me out a lot, even though I had helped him in another car long ago ('86 lxi), I had a hell of a time getting things BROKEN LOOSE. that was the worst part for me. Of course I only weight in at 130 lbs. with nicknames ranging from stick, to skinny pale white boy. So, if you have worked out those forearms ( :cough: ) and you can take on stuff like the trans bolts, go for it. Remember where everything went (especially which bolts go where), and use a book. That will be a good aid if you've never done it, or helped someone do it, or pulled a 3g thouroughly apart.

The 8 is for the I-have-no-forearms-period-therefore-i-need-large-pipes-to-help-me
and for those of us who don't remember well :bh: . And also for those of us who don't have many tools, nor the time with our tools.

Yes, the end nuts on the axles (when you take the tires off, it's in the center there) are very hard to get off. You need to punch out that part of the nut that sticks into the notch on the axle, and then set that mother on the ground (with the tire on it and the entire weight of the car), get a 1/2 inch breaker bar, the one with the long ass handle (autozone rents them!) and get a pipe, and maybe a friend.

If you can, get some help, an assistant, that will aid you in memory, and everything else. (Especially getting that friggin awkward-ass trans back onto the engine) If you can't afford having your car down for a couple days, or don't have a spare car, or a spare friend, (old man) I wouldn't suggest doing it.

That is, unless you like being stuck waist deep in chin nee.

87DXHatch
07-17-2002, 09:16 PM
I'm not sure if this relates, but do you think if I supplied the tranny, I could get my small-town mechanic to swap my transmission for a Preludes for $300?