PDA

View Full Version : 87 intake manifold VS 89 intake manifold

ICEMAN707
05-13-2004, 06:34 AM
i noticed my 89 SEi's intake manifold is a 2-piece design VS my 87 LXi's intake manifold. i see that there is a 1/2 inch spacer in between the 2 pieces of the 89 SEi's manifold. what if you put 2 of those to increase the air volume capacity of the intake manifold? also since it can be taken apart in two pieces, that would make it easier to polish and port it. tell me, wouldn't that be an easier intake manifold mod than frankenstein-swapping in b16/b18 manifolds? i dunno if anyone has done it before, but would there be any performance gains from port/polishing and double spacing the manifold?

p.s. BTW there would be hood clearance issues if you do the double spacing and you won't be able to fit a strut bar.

on another note: being able to take out the top throttle body half of the manifold would make some bolt-on supercharger possibility to the A20A3 right? (if there was one company that could make it...maybe call up jackson racing?) or how about ITB's? (individual throttle bodies)

AccordEpicenter
05-13-2004, 09:01 AM
itll be easier to mod but if you look at the 88-89 runners compared to a B16 there not nearly as straight and are way longer, which is good for torque but not high hp numbers. As for the dual spacers, thats just making your runners even longer... i doubt youd see a gain. I dont think modding a supercharger to fit would be worth it, its much easier just to go turbo and provides better gains anyway.

88ebrake
05-13-2004, 09:43 AM
well what heads can u swap onto a a20a3 i need to know i wanna change

AZmike
05-13-2004, 09:56 AM
A20A1, BS, BT

AccordEpicenter
05-13-2004, 10:25 AM
they are all pretty much the same

ICEMAN707
05-13-2004, 10:56 AM
itll be easier to mod but if you look at the 88-89 runners compared to a B16 there not nearly as straight and are way longer, which is good for torque but not high hp numbers. As for the dual spacers, thats just making your runners even longer... i doubt youd see a gain. I dont think modding a supercharger to fit would be worth it, its much easier just to go turbo and provides better gains anyway.

what if you took out the spacer to make the runner shorter? providing after you do the port and polishing.

AccordEpicenter
05-13-2004, 11:23 AM
then you lose your runner switching

modu03
05-13-2004, 10:58 PM
if you really want some power, go with the b16 swap

shepherd79
05-14-2004, 02:49 AM
insted of asking, you need you get to junk yard and pick up that spacer and just try it. no one will tell you what will happen. you just have to try it and tell us if it is better.

ICEMAN707
05-14-2004, 04:04 AM
i would try and mess with the intake manifold, but it's a biotch to take out. i'd much rather ask on here to see if there is a possibility anyone has tried the spacing technique or done the port and polishing. the bolts you can see from above are easy, but the ones hidden under the runners and the one under the EGR valve, now that's a pain. can you reach them working from under the car? most people take out the head along with the manifold, but that's even more too much work to take out and put back cus of the TDC timing issues and proper torquing sequence, not to mention the pain-in-the-ass EGR pipe and exhaust manifold to disconnect from the head.