PDA

View Full Version : Loose shifter?

Rendon LX-i
05-13-2004, 12:08 PM
Ok I posted once about this about my shifter beening loose as hell. I looked under my car at the shift linkage and cant find which bushing is it. Does anyone have this problem or Had this happen to them. Need to get this damn bushing changed. I have no problems getting into gear or none of that just its just loose as hell an its brothering me and shit. If anyone can show me that bushing and help me out if u can. thanks crew sorry for this question again. :bow:

86LXItooFAST4me
05-13-2004, 12:24 PM
arent the bushings at the bottom of the shifter? i think they are inside the "T" at the bottom.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
05-13-2004, 01:02 PM
What do you mean loose? As in you can lift the shifter up a bit as well as move it around excessively? If so, the problem lies in the shifter ball seat. There are plastic cups that hold the shifter ball in position. If they are worn, the shifter will be loose. Go on Majestic's catalog and look at the shift lever section. Hope you find this helpful.

Rendon LX-i
05-13-2004, 08:21 PM
na i cant move it up or down but i can move it around Excessively but goes in gear great an have no probs. So its were the ball sits and the plastic cup is broken. shit i might have to look at that. Thanks man weres Majestic's catalog at?

300700'88lx-i
05-13-2004, 08:43 PM
My shifter had a lot of play in it, and I was able to find that much of the play was coming from the bushings in the universal linkage where the shifting linkage attatches to the linkage on the transmission. I think that replacing these bushings would help with the play in your shifter. You might have to order them from a Honda dealer though cause they're kind of an obscure part, not something that like Napa or Autozone would be likely to carry.

Rendon LX-i
05-13-2004, 08:50 PM
yeah im gonna have to look around some yet with this cuz sometimes i dont know what gear im even in cuz its so loose lol. but i check it out again with the bushings

'89AccordLX(Rus)
05-14-2004, 04:02 PM
Majestic Honda Site: http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com
Go to the online parts catalog section. Enter data for your car. Look up Shift Lever in the drop down menu. If you need the Honda part #s, I can look those up as well. Just ask. (Majestic gives you their stock numbers, not Honda's :()

SteveDX89
05-14-2004, 06:33 PM
I would start with new bushings on the torque rod where it bolts to the tranny.

johnwc723
05-15-2004, 07:05 PM
heh i know that a fellow 3geez member replaced everything from bushings to linkages and nothing worked , pretty much replaced everythign except the transmission, his is still loose as hell, if you are unlucky the looseness might reside in the transmission its self

Rendon LX-i
05-15-2004, 07:20 PM
I dont know why it would be the tranny? I just droped the tranny in about a year ago. and when the previous owner had it with the old tranny it was the same loose. so hopeully i can figure this shit out