PDA

View Full Version : speed in each gear?

B16 ED9
07-13-2002, 10:32 PM
what are the top speeds of each gear on you car?

so far mine are

1st: 35 mph
2nd: 70 mph
3rd: 100 mph
4th: havent tried

B16 ED9
07-13-2002, 10:33 PM
oh, and those speeds arent on hills just incase you were wondering

B16 ED9
07-13-2002, 10:55 PM
oh, and a ?
are those speeds normal, fast, or slow?

i got an automatic

My 89 Accord Lxi
07-14-2002, 12:27 PM
are those the speeds when u shift at when ur racing? and if so are those speeds i should shift at to kick some peoples ass?

Accord7SE_i
07-14-2002, 08:06 PM
:stupid::stupid:dude im sorry but you are lieing your ass off those are like funny car gears :stupid: :stupid: :stupid: :stupid: :stupid: :stupid:

Jims 86LXI HB
07-14-2002, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Accord7SE_i
:stupid::stupid:dude im sorry but you are lieing your ass off those are like funny car gears :stupid: :stupid: :stupid: :stupid: :stupid: :stupid:

Hey,.......that's a great way to make friends around here

GET MY DRIFT!!!

I'm wondering about it to, but your outa line!

Accord7SE_i
07-14-2002, 08:18 PM
why would i want to make freinds with a lier dude!!:flip:

87accordlxi
07-14-2002, 08:20 PM
yea 7Sei... youre not off to a good start around here. watch yourself, or you'll be out on the curb

Jims 86LXI HB
07-14-2002, 08:25 PM
why would i want to make freinds with a lier dude!!:flip:

Who'd want to be friends with someone that calls people names?

Is that all you can say to the guy? How did you comment benefit anyone other than you?

Accord7SE_i
07-14-2002, 08:35 PM
ok sorry all right. I just hate people that lie it really makes me mad guys.:sadwave: :crying:

87accordlxi
07-14-2002, 08:44 PM
in any case, i looked in my owners manual (which for some reason was next to my computer) and for what its worth, the Good Book says this...

Maximum Allowable Speeds

(DX/LX)
1st 35mph
2nd 60mph
3rd 92mph

(LXi)
1st 33mph
2nd 57mph
3rd 86mph

B16 ED9
07-14-2002, 09:57 PM
hahaha, well your book must be for a 5spd manual, not a 4spd auto:rolleyes: . if you want proof, lemme borrow someones camera and i'll take pics of me doing it. i know what i see. when the speedo needle is ontop of 100, then you are going 100. and yes i did do those speeds in each gear. each except for first were at 6500-7k rpms. its not hard in an auto, all you do is floor it and never move your foot. it'll shift at redline (sometimes higher) even with when its floored. i'm known around this community and i dont f*kin lie.

87accordlxi
07-14-2002, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Pimp88Accord
hahaha, well your book must be for a 5spd manual, not a 4spd auto:rolleyes:

why, yes it is genius. also note that i never said you were lying. i saw my manual sitting on my desk and i thought i'd post the numbers. and i could care less that you're "known around your community". if you wanna wring out your engine to 100 mph in 3rd gear, be my guest.

B16 ED9
07-14-2002, 10:57 PM
ok, first off, only this part "well your book must be for a 5spd manual, not a 4spd auto" was meant towards you. i was trying to insult anybody or anything, but when someone calls me a liar and they have no proof that i'm lying, that pisses me off. and i thank those of you who atleast might have gave me the bennefit of the doubt.

oh and 87accordlxi when i said "i'm known around this community " i meant this 3geez community. i was just trying to prove that i'm not a liar to the person who called me it

but, the reason why i started this thread was because i had a question

"oh, and a ?
are those speeds normal, fast, or slow? "

i just wanted to know if my speeds were abnormal, and instead i get insulted and called a liar

Accord7SE_i
07-14-2002, 11:08 PM
Dude you are not known around here jsut because of how many posts you put up. for all you know i could be an old person with a new name. And that is what i am. I never seen you before . So lay off of peoples back you little lier trying to make him slef llok good and trying to make up for ehat he said 3rd gear at 100 mps. thats funny i will not get over that for a long time. cant wait to to alex.:stupid: :flipa: :fight: :ego:

87accordlxi
07-15-2002, 12:33 PM
its alright pimp, we're cool. as for the SEi guy, keep in mind that we have your IP...

Jdub07
07-15-2002, 01:31 PM
So yeah anyway....in your manual Drunk Moderator,...Did it happen to have the RPM's at those speeds listed. I have an 86 DX, was just wondering if you could post that if you don't mind.
:bow: 3GEEZ

monsonhonda
07-15-2002, 01:44 PM
i believe its at 6600 or 6800 rpms, id bet on the 6800, oh and back in my 89 auto, i got up to bout 95 in third, but my car went above 6800 rpms

87accordlxi
07-15-2002, 02:34 PM
the manual doesnt tell you RPM's. i imagine its at redline. it does give you the recommended speeds at which to shift for best fuel economy though. it goes a little sumthin like this:

Shift UP --- Normal Acceleration
1st to 2nd - 15mph
2nd to 3rd - 28mph
3rd to 4th - 41mph
4th to 5th - 52mph

Shift Up --- Cruise From Acceleration
1st to 2nd - 7mph
2nd to 3rd - 22mph
3rd to 4th - 33mph
4th to 5th - 48mph

1989 DX R
07-15-2002, 02:38 PM
Wow. So low.

1st to 2nd 15 mph
2nd to 3rd 35-37 mph
3rd to 4th 45-52 mph
4th to 5th 65-70 mph

I like to let my 3Gee stretch a bit :)

B16 ED9
07-15-2002, 03:29 PM
Dude you are not known around here jsut because of how many posts you put up. for all you know i could be an old person with a new name. And that is what i am. I never seen you before . So lay off of peoples back you little lier trying to make him slef llok good and trying to make up for ehat he said 3rd gear at 100 mps. thats funny i will not get over that for a long time. cant wait to to alex.:stupid: :flipa: :fight: :ego:

ok, first off, i wasnt refering to being know around here from my post count, i was refering to the fact that i've been with 3geez since we were back on ezboard and that i've gone to meets and met with some of the people around here. and if you havent seen me before you must literally be old and going blind. i'm not trying to make myself look good at all i just ask a simple f*king question.

ya know what, you werent even worth that response.

as for everyone else, i'll take my friend along with me and his digi cam and have him take pics of my speeds.

Jims 86LXI HB
07-15-2002, 09:13 PM
ahm, I just said I was wondering about it to. Thats "nice speak" for more info please I don't understand how myself.:wave:

B16 ED9
07-15-2002, 09:37 PM
i know alot of people are wondering about it thats why i'm gonna try and get pics. i'm also wondering why i hit those speeds in each gear. but i'm fine with those speeds for now:D

89accordlxi
07-16-2002, 07:17 AM
Well, since nobody is answering his question, I might as well.
Sorry to burst peoples bubbles but the numbers pimp88accord posted sound right.

Here are my numbers.

1st-37mph
2nd-68mph
3rd-102mph
4th-gotten to 110 before running out of room

I don't have much for mods but you can see what I have in my signature.

2nd and 3rd numbers are all at redline around 7000-7300 rpm except 1st which shifts automatically at around 6500 rpm

4th was around 4500-5000 rpm before I slowed down.

I don't know if these numbers are normal or what I just know that it is what the 88-89 lxi's are capable of.

I'm out...

Jims 86LXI HB
07-16-2002, 07:23 AM
If my automatic was shifting PAST redline, that would be a no brainer,.....that something was wrong. Wheather or not you view that as a problem is up to you and your wallet as I think the engineer at honda that set the redline knows more about why he did, than any of us could ever know.

89accordlxi
07-16-2002, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by Jims 86LXI HB
If my automatic was shifting PAST redline, that would be a no brainer,.....that something was wrong. Wheather or not you view that as a problem is up to you and your wallet as I think the engineer at honda that set the redline knows more about why he did, than any of us could ever know.

What's your point? I don't understand what you are trying to say..

Could you be more specific.. Are you saying this is damaging to our engines. If redline is the max safe rpm that our engines can go then everything should be ok..Right??? It is when you go beyond that is when you are risking damaging your engine. Is this correct or not??

Peace out

1989 DX R
07-16-2002, 10:25 AM
I think the redline is the max rpm that is safe, not the max rpm that is unsafe. All the accesories and stuff become extremely worn when run at 6500+ rpms, so Honda puts the limiter to prevent that. Also, the design of the engine isn't for higher rpm power, it's just a family sedan engine.

88lxicoupe
07-16-2002, 10:42 AM
dont really want to get into this "fight" but i was doing 100 in mine and i thought i was in 4th but it wasnt casue then it jumped down and i got it up to bout 110 or so. i duno if thats good or bad or what but my engine is stock. and as for the redline thing?? i duno i was reading somewhere that someone took his car to the dyno or sumthing like that and listed the best rpms to shift at and it was like 7 for the first 2 gears. he said i know its past the redline but the tests proved taht it didnt do nething to the engine and that was where the max power was. i duno just what i read...ill try and find it. it was awile ago though ne thoughts?

Darkside
07-16-2002, 11:19 AM
I think It's funny any time someone has fast speeds in each gear or things like that people jump on him and say he's a liar. My speeds are fairly simalar. If you think I'm a liar check with anyone who was at the eugene OR meet. Or just come on down I will race and prove to just what 3rd gens cn do.What do you have to gain by slandering someone. You should be more apt to find out about his mods and make your car that fast. This can be a great place to make friends but not all people post everything that they do to their car (some people just browse for ideas). I for one don't(post often). If you want to find out come and race then I'll tell you about my mods.
This board is turning into a little club that's anti-ricers and way too clicky. It should be about people helping people and taking the time to mod their car. I hope whatever mods you do; you like and really that's all that should matter. This board does have tons of great resources and great memebers lets not let a few misguided souls spoil the fun. Darkside :burn:

Jims 86LXI HB
07-16-2002, 11:32 AM
I'm saying that honda set the redline. It was set by a engineer that surely knows more about why,...then anyone else here. So going past redline routinely can't be a good thing, somethings wrong with a automatic that would let you go past redline.

89accordlxi
07-16-2002, 11:57 AM
Damn!!! My mistake y'all. The numbers I posted earlier were incorrect. I apologize for any confusion.

The speeds are still correct, however, the rpm readings were wrong. They should read redline at 6500-6700 and 1st shifts automatically at 5500-5800.

Sorry again...Especially to Jims 86LXI HB. Didn't mean to cause any contraversy.

Peace out..

Chris86Lxi
07-16-2002, 01:21 PM
Damn. Must suck to have an Automatic. They are sooo damn boring. And also. I'm definately agreeing with 89 DX R "it's just a family sedan engine." Our cars aren't exactly fast guys so i don't know why everyone is bitching and keeping this thread alive. They are fun to drive and zip around town but keep on drivin your car to the max like you talk about everyday and it might, just might, EXPLODE! We have a wopping 120 hp guys, and even with mods it don't do alot. Just chill on the speeds and cruise. It ain't like we all have swaps and Nitrous and all kinds of shit besides Justin and OSS and a few others.

Chris

Jims 86LXI HB
07-16-2002, 02:04 PM
Sorry again...Especially to Jims 86LXI HB. Didn't mean to cause any contraversy.

No contaversy, no problem. ;) :smokin:

B16 ED9
07-16-2002, 02:44 PM
out of my gears and those speeds the only one that even touched thed redline was 2nd gear, that was at about 6500-6800. the rest were at or below the redline. i still feel like gettin pics anyways:D i love drivin my car like that.

My 89 Accord Lxi
07-19-2002, 08:19 PM
um...just wondering i hope noone calls me stupid for this but doesnt the automatic have a 4spd transmission??

pric
07-19-2002, 08:45 PM
My 89 Accord Lxi, Yes the auto's are 4spd

Pimp88Accord, Do you have your stock tires are aftermarket wheels? Because if you have a different tire size it will through off your speedomoter a little

87DXHatch
07-19-2002, 11:24 PM
commenting on back what those speeds in each gear, I understood it to stand for the max speeds you can acheive in each gear being SAFE. I thought it said that above those speeds you are causing a lot more wear than normal.